• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    My search on existing threads did not yield any germane results, so I am posting this new thread. I moved to Indiana late last year from the arid West where we didn't have humidity issues or basements. The house we moved into earlier this year has an unfinished basement - the first basement I have ever had. I am thinking that it would be a great place to place the safe and also ammo. However, my internet surfing has shown mixed results on storing these items in the basement. On one hand, the basement will protect better against fire , especially if against an outside corner. On the other hand humdity is a concern, as is the potential for flooding. Are there any tips to deal with these concerns. Any other things I should address?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Safe humidity can be easily cured with a correct sized GoldenRod installed in the safe.
    A safe in the basement or a safe that falls into the basement usually doesn't fair well after a good fire. If the firearms dont get burned and overheated to destruction, they sit in water until the safe gets pulled out and with being overheated the firearms are oil free and rust quickly.
    Other issues can be water line or water heater failures.
    My opinions are formed after decades of my own trials with life and friends and family experiences.
    Im big on safes sitting on concrete in a shop or garage with the safe sitting in a corner with the door opening on one wall.
    And anchored with a few quick-bolts to the floor. If you anchor to concrete drill through the concrete or over drill the holes.
    That way if you need to move the safe you undo the nuts and drive the anchors flush to the concrete floor.

Morgan98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2022
    My search on existing threads did not yield any germane results, so I am posting this new thread. I moved to Indiana late last year from the arid West where we didn't have humidity issues or basements. The house we moved into earlier this year has an unfinished basement - the first basement I have ever had. I am thinking that it would be a great place to place the safe and also ammo. However, my internet surfing has shown mixed results on storing these items in the basement. On one hand, the basement will protect better against fire , especially if against an outside corner. On the other hand humdity is a concern, as is the potential for flooding. Are there any tips to deal with these concerns. Any other things I should address?
    How about a dehumidfier into sump pump. Have mine for 3 years...keeps it 55% humid. First put in, ran for days, but now it runs very intermittently ....but I have a walk out basement...and I don't have a moisture problem.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Get a hygrometer and check the space to see what the humidity level is. My basement stays under 50%, usually around 45.

You won't know what, if anything, you'll need to do until you know what you're dealing with.

Remember, you have to get the safe into the basement, that's the fun part.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Get a hygrometer and check the space to see what the humidity level is. My basement stays under 50%, usually around 45.

I don't keep my ammo in a safe.

I used a hygrometer in my basement and tracked the humidity over time. It was consistent at about 45%. After that I built wooden storage shelves with the lowest about 18" off the ground. I won't get a flood that high even if my sump pump goes out.
    Keep in mind overhead pipes. You may not want to put your storage under water lines. A friend with a lot of ammo keeps his in plastic storage tubs as an extra level of protection against water.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Basements flood. Not a big fan of the garage either. For me garage is too variable in temps and humidity.
    With the correct GoldenRod installed it will easily will keep a safe at a higher temperature inside of the safe compaired to outside.
    With that the small heater pushes humidity out of the safe. It works in the same mannor inside a bulding with hvac.
    I have two safes that have been in shops with no hvac and ive never experienced rust or corrosive problems inside of either one.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    May want to consider building up a 3-6" or so layer of concrete under the safe to hopefully prevent water getting in the safe in case of a minor flood like a water line break or sump pump failure. Major flooding not much you can do if you aren't home when it happens.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I store ammo in steel ammo cans in my basement. Do not keep them on the floor or outer wall but on a shelf on the interior. Our basement is fairly dry but like most in Indiana, moisture can be an issue.

We run a good dehumidifier down there. The ammo cans and ammo have 10 plus years and no issues. Some cans were old and had rust to begin with but I see no sign of the conditions making them worse.

Avoid direct contact with the floor, outer walls and seal up any issues in your basement. Run a good dehumidifier

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Get these from Dollar Tree for $1.25
    I also use these in my gun safes.
    1665606918999.png
    Buy plastic totes from RK, or elsewhere, and put your ammo in them with one of these. Check every few months and change as needed.
    Works great for me.
    1665607101207.png

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Basements flood. I have more restorations in my shop because of that than any other reason. As far as fire, yes, a basement may be away from the fire, but it will turn into a swimming pool from the water used to extinguish said fire.

I recommend ease of access to you. Bedroom floor on outside wall.

Just my opinion....

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    All my long term storage ammo is packed in ammo cans and placed on a heavy duty storage shelf.
    black-husky-freestanding-shelving-units-hbr652454w3-64_600.jpg
    Range ammo is in ammo cans, inside a drywall lined metal cabinet that has 4" legs off the basement floor.

Reloading powder and primers are stored in ammo cans, inside a wooden foot locker lined with drywall. The footlocker has 2"x4"s screwed to the bottom with caster wheels. That gets the footlocker 4" off the floor.

The basement has dual sump pumps and a dehumidifier. It will soon have a battery backup sump pump. We are currently running 45% humidity in the basement. There are no water or drain lines running above the reloading bench/ammo storage.

Gun safe is placed in a first floor room addition, that is on an outside wall and above a crawl space. The safe is bolted to the floor and has a goldenrod inside for humidity control.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have lived here for 30 years and kept a couple safes in the basement the whole time. I believe in keeping a dehumidifier running in the summer anyway in a basement. Keeps away any musty smell. So I have never had any problems with water or humidity. I wouldn't store stuff directly on the concrete floor.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Basements are great for water heaters, furnaces, water softener’s and for avoiding tornadoes. I’m scared of tornadoes… been in 5 and that’s 6 too many.
    Vaults in basements do not fare well in fires. Even small fires.

House on fire… collapse’s into basement surrounding vault with charcoal cooking contents; followed up with literally feet of water. Kiss your toys good bye.
    Add ammo… kaboom!

Happened to a buddy of mine. Was a sad time.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Make sure your insurance policy will cover all you have firearm and ammo wise this is your first step, I know people that have lost thousands in firearms do to fire and flooding and were limited on there coverage. We had a house fire a few years ago, i had excavated out another section of basement and floors were 1 foot higher than original basement floors, 3 very large safes, poured walls and steel plate and poured ceiling had no issues with water getting in there but had water in rest of basement. i run 2 dehumidifiers in basement one in main basement and the other in the safe room, has been working great for us.

Top Bottom