• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Tom, these "gun amnesty" programs generally sprout up in response to a surge in violent crime, like we've seen in Fort Wayne this year. Some misguided souls blame the inanimate object for the crime, as opposed to the culpable human involved. They then hold events where people can show up and turn in any weapons they don't want, for whatever reason. In order to encourage people to come & turn guns in, there are no questions asked of the people who show up. Generally, these events only succeed in gathering inoperable or replica firearms from people who just don't know what else to do with them. The whole thing is an exercise in futility, since it fails to address the real problem of aggressive, antisocial behavior on the part of criminals.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I simply stated that Matt meant no disrespect to gun owners in general, and that not everyone who CAN own a gun, has any business doing so, kinda like having kids. "

Precisely. The way I look at it, if someone possesses a firearm and no longer wishes to, THOSE are the wrong hands. I don't care what reasoning the individual has behind their actions, but I fully support their decision to not own something they no longer want. Even if it is the little, old lady that found a gun in the dresser drawer. If she is not comfortable owning a firearm, then I'm, 100%, in agreeance that she probably should not. If she doesn't know if/how it works, she has NO business possessing it. Even if she does know how to operate the weapon, she clearly does not want to if she shows up at amnesty day looking to get rid of it.

Also, please note, I did not say "the right to own".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did anyone go? I was going to, but had to go out of town. From what I saw, they didn't get much good stuff anyways - 26 guns total, including a sawed-off.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    From the article:

"The gun turn-in program was put on by the Guardians of Police, and resulted in dozens of guns being surrendered."

Dozens here is two dozen plus four - per the article, 26 guns were turned in.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not true, they got the warm and fuzzy feeling that they are now far more safe because only the police have guns.

Well, some guy with a sawed off shotgun got it out of his possession in a legal way with no questions asked.

Top Bottom