• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    friend of mine is getting married in a couple months and his fiance wants me to take her to a gun shop and help her pick out a gun to get him as a wedding present. i have heard some gun shops are kinda picky about the whole "buying a gun for someone else" thing. whats the best way to make sure things go smoothly? are there any particular shops that are easy to deal with when it comes to this sort of thing?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would take her to a gun store, show her some guns, and see if she can pick one out.

Then come back on another day to buy it, or buy it from another shop.

Just don't say "I'm buying this for my fiance" or "I'm giving this as a gift." Keep the looking and the buying as separate things.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    She can buy it for herself and then decide to gift it to her fiancé later, nothing illegal here.
    If he can legally own a gun I dont see anything illegal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    She can buy it for herself and then decide to gift it to her fiancé later, nothing illegal here.
    If he can legally own a gun I dont see anything illegal.

Its not illegal, but the gun store will most likely refuse to sell to her if she is saying things like "oh I think he will like this one" or "no he wouldn't want that because its a Hi-Point". As far as they are concerned they need to be selling it to her and her alone.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Buying a gun with the specific intent to give it as a gift is not a crime, and any shop that would refuse that sale for fear of being considered a straw purchase is ignorant of the law IMHO.

My wife got me a gun for our wedding. It was quite the surprise.

It was supposed to be my 642 revolver in a thigh holster under her dress when I went to get the garter. I was going to remove it from the holster and show everybody that she was packin' and I had to get it out of the way to get the garter...

Imagine my surprise when it was a brand new gun as my wedding gift...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Its not illegal, but the gun store will most likely refuse to sell to her if she is saying things like "oh I think he will like this one" or "no he wouldn't want that because its a Hi-Point". As far as they are concerned they need to be selling it to her and her alone.

A FFL told me that it's different if you are married and buying a gun for your spouse.
    You can clearly say "I want this one for my hubsband, I think he will like it".
    Im not really sure why it's different but the guy at the store told me that when you are married people can buy gun for eachother.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Buying a gun with the specific intent to give it as a gift is not a crime, and any shop that would refuse that sale for fear of being considered a straw purchase is ignorant of the law IMHO.

I'd like to hear from some shop owners/employees in this thread. My understanding has always been that if they have ANY reason to believe the gun is for someone else, they will deny the sale.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'd like to hear from some shop owners/employees in this thread. My understanding has always been that if they have ANY reason to believe the gun is for someone else, they will deny the sale.

Have you ever heard of that "buying a gun for your husband/wife" thing that would make it ok to buy a gun for someone other than yourself? :dunno:

I just heard it once from that one gun dealer.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've always been told that it is if you are making the "purchase" for somebody else. IE, somebody else gave you money and you are buying. That would indicate to me the possibility of a straw purchase. However, if making the purchase for yourself with the intention of gifting said purchase to somebody else, it is not illegal, and shouldn't be denied.

I don't blame a shop that gets nervous if it isn't clear, or they suspect the buyer is lying about the purchase, but to know it is a gift and still deny the sale? I don't think I would go to a shop like that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP does the female (in this case) know what her soon to be husband wants? Or I you going since you know what the hubby would like and are there to advise her of the fact?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've always been told that it is if you are making the "purchase" for somebody else. IE, somebody else gave you money and you are buying. That would indicate to me the possibility of a straw purchase. However, if making the purchase for yourself with the intention of gifting said purchase to somebody else, it is not illegal, and shouldn't be denied.

I do agree that it is totally legal to buy and gift, even if that is the intention from the start. IIRC a "straw purchase" is defined as buying for another person who is otherwise ineligible.

I'm just not sure how close to that line some dealers are willing to go.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    OP does the female (in this case) know what her soon to be husband wants? Or I you going since you know what the hubby would like and are there to advise her of the fact?

Soon to be husband is currently at infantry school, I will be going with to show her what he wants.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    Wedding gift???

Depending on what gun is offered, I might consider getting married again! :dunno: LOL! It would have to be a Real Nice 1911 ! :laugh::laugh::laugh: May take a few 1911's!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I do agree that it is totally legal to buy and gift, even if that is the intention from the start. IIRC a "straw purchase" is defined as buying for another person who is otherwise ineligible.

ATF's web site states:
    A straw purchase is an illegal firearm purchase where the actual buyer of the gun, being unable to pass the required federal background check or desiring to not have his or her name associated with the transaction, uses a proxy buyer who can pass the required background check to purchase the firearm for him/her. (emphasis mine)

The bold part of the definition means a straw purchase can take place even if both parties would be capable of passing the background check. This was confirmed by the ATF examiner who conducted our audit earlier this year. That said, the same examiner did indicate that one could purchase a firearm with the intent to give it as a legitimate gift and be OK.

Top Bottom