• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've done this, I bought a pistol for my best man and had it engraved. Just go in and pick something out, discretely, then return later to buy it. While the gun shop won't sell you a handgun if they believe you're buying it for someone one else (straw purchase), there's no law against giving a firearm as a gift. I've also bought firearms for Christmas presents.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    DUH! YOU GUYS ARE TARDY! There's only one question we need an answer to! DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER?!?!

That got me thinking, where do we request an INGO Singles forum
    SWM seeking Female w/ Glock or Sig.
    Must shoot up to 7.62 rifle

Does that work?

On a side note, buy it for yourself like Full-Auto says and gift it. If you have an issue that it's registered to you, take him to a shooting range with the new firearm and have the FFL transfer it. In the grand scheme, the extra cash for a tranfer fee is nothing rolled into a wedding present.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    friend of mine is getting married in a couple months and his fiance wants me to take her to a gun shop and help her pick out a gun to get him as a wedding present.

O.K., I'm just going to say it, I don't mean to get anyone stirred up, but why all the secret squirrel stuff? Taking someone else to "pick out a gun"?:dunno:

Why are we doing this? Cannot she just go buy the gun her husband wants?

If she does not know, then why not send the secret squirrel operative to go talk guns at the gym or at the bar with the husband to be? Fiind out what he wants and then go buy that?

Why are we dragging along other people waving red flags as if it is a straw purchase?:dunno:

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I completely agree with Kirk and Josh.

On a related note, I am totally pumped about these stories about wedding/anniversary gun gifts. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know someone who is giving guns to the groomsmen for wedding presents. Talk about awesome! They were surprised you can just give someone a gun and I used it for a good educational opportunity.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you have an issue that it's registered to you, take him to a shooting range with the new firearm and have the FFL transfer it.

There is no "registration" in Indiana. Buying a gun from an FFL doesn't register it to you.

The bold part of the definition means a straw purchase can take place even if both parties would be capable of passing the background check. This was confirmed by the ATF examiner who conducted our audit earlier this year. That said, the same examiner did indicate that one could purchase a firearm with the intent to give it as a legitimate gift and be OK.

Thanks Mark!

Dave00c5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    South Bend
    Its not illegal, but the gun store will most likely refuse to sell to her if she is saying things like "oh I think he will like this one" or "no he wouldn't want that because its a Hi-Point". As far as they are concerned they need to be selling it to her and her alone.
    I agree completely.

Top Bottom