• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    Does anyone have experience with gunbroker.com? I always see really good deals, but cant build the courage to buy something without inspecting it.

Can you give the steps of purchasing something using gunbroker.com?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have always had good luck, I usually look at the sellers feedback for several transactions. I also sell on GB, I as a seller am very descriptive and offer a 3 day inspection period. I have purchased 4 firearms from GB and have been happy with all of them. Granted 2 of them were new from dealers, I just couldn't find them locally at the price I was willing to pay. They were still cheaper even with shipping and transfer fees.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Typically I just use it to figure out the value of something I want to buy or sell. My brother has bought some stuff of there before and the transaction went fairly smoothly.

He had more problems with the local FFL doing the transfer then anything else.

Like Ebay, I would check the sellers fee back, and return policy in case you don't get what you expect. Also check shipping, some time sellers have a low price but jack up shipping so they don't have to pay as much comision on the sale.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Always a good experience for me. I've saved a LOT of money from gunbroker. Buy what you want, pay via paypal if they accept it (many do.) It's fast and if there is a problem paypal will give you your money back a lot of times. Then get the seller's contact information and give that to you local FFL firearms dealer of choice. Have them contact them in order to set up shipping to their store and simply pick it up when it comes in. I've never had a problem with gunbroker. Just make sure you read the description THOROUGHLY.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Always a good experience for me. I've saved a LOT of money from gunbroker. Buy what you want, pay via paypal if they accept it (many do.) It's fast and if there is a problem paypal will give you your money back a lot of times. Then get the seller's contact information and give that to you local FFL firearms dealer of choice. Have them contact them in order to set up shipping to their store and simply pick it up when it comes in. I've never had a problem with gunbroker. Just make sure you read the description THOROUGHLY.

I'd add this to this comment that Paypal is not gun friendly. The people who take PP on Gunbroker are doing it on the sly so to speak.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I've bought the majority of my firearms off of Gunbroker because my local shops either couldn't get what I wanted or weren't competitive enough on their pricing compared to Gunbroker. Some of my purchases have come from dealers in other states, and others from private sellers who shipped to my local f.f.l. I've also used it as a quick way to get a general idea of what the higher end retail price for an item is, and to formulate a ballpark value for either listing or purchasing a gun.

Buying is a relatively simple process. First, if you don't have an f.f.l., find a local gun dealer who would be willing to accept the shipment and run the background check/paperwork. Most of the dealers in my area will do it for around $20-30, but it depends on the individual dealer. Then, you create a Gunbroker account, search for what you want, find the right gun for the right price, and bid. Once the auction is over, contact the seller, and ask them where to send the funds and f.f.l./c&r to (I would advise you to use either a major credit card or USPS money order if possible for providing funds). Seller should let you know when your item ships, and your local f.f.l. should call you once he receives it (provided he knows to look for it). You go in, pick it up, run through the usual 4473, and viola, you're done, assuming you're happy with it. If you're not, contact the seller within the specified return period, unless you bought the item as is, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I'd offer two general suggestions to you if you haven't used Gunbroker before:

Look for listings that feature a return period if you're not satisfied with the condition of your purchase. I think the standard a 3 day, non-firing inspection period.

Don't bid on a listing without pictures.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Things to watch.
    1)Sellers reputation.
    2)Shipping cost
    3) Your FFL's transfer fee

Unless it's a real deal, the shipping, insurance, and FFL fees can raise the price to or above what you'd pay locally. Especially on new guns.

I've only had one bad experience. Bid $25 and was amazed to get the rifle. With shipping and ffl fees it cost me $70 to get it home and it was missing a required piece that was completely unavailable. The seller offered to take it back and refund my $25 but not the shipping(either way) or ffl fees. Gee thanks. It hangs on my wall as a reminder. Caveat Emptor.:twocents:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, shipping got another INGO'er too. Can't remember the thread.

If I remember, the shipping wasn't disclosed until after the auction was over, so the seller decided to put a obscene amount on for shipping.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I have only used Gunbroker one time, and was very satisfied with it. I bought from a dealer (new gun) who was going out of business so the gun was in great shape. I would want very good pictures and description of any used guns though.

My seller had shipping figured out well so I knew going in what it would be. Overall I would buy this way again, but it doesn't replace face to face and handling gun before buying!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have had all good experiences buying off gunbroker. As stated above, just look at feedback and have an FFL at hand who you have made arrangements with.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have always had good luck, I usually look at the sellers feedback for several transactions. I also sell on GB, I as a seller am very descriptive and offer a 3 day inspection period. I have purchased 4 firearms from GB and have been happy with all of them. Granted 2 of them were new from dealers, I just couldn't find them locally at the price I was willing to pay. They were still cheaper even with shipping and transfer fees.

Do you ever sell firearms on there? I've been thinking about posting a rifle on there, just never shipped a firearm so not sure what is involved. And OP, I usually troll GB every night. the few experiences I've had have been good.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I have used GunBroker several times. I have had very good luck with the sellers and buyers. If you are buying from a private individual and he is not going through an FFL, your shipping cost will usually be higher. shipping cost tend to run between $20 and $35, transfer fees are usually between $15 and $35, so you need to factor these cost in to the final purchase price. If there is a return policy, chances are you will be paying the shipping cost both ways along with your FFL fees, so recieving and returning can cost around $100. The best way to handle an auction is to have a final cost in mind, say $400, shipping is $25, transfer fee is $20, the highest you can bid and not go over your budget is $355.

I have been looking at a gun on Gunbroker, the final cost for me will be around $1500, I wrote to the seller and inquired about information that is not included in the description, after 2 days, he has not written back, I will just walk away and not bid on the gun. Don't become emotionally attached to an auction, if it doesn't feel right, walk away.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I recently made my second purchase on gun broker and both were as expected. Research the sellers rating and past history. I found two hard to find items at good prices and have left good feedback and recieved good feedback.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Deals on Gunbroker?

[/Quote] I always see really good deals... [/Quote]

Must be a different Gunbroker than I watch. Are you identifying deals by the high bid 2 days before the auction ends? Lots of auctions look good until the last few minutes or seconds when the bids jump, most of the time way too high. Any item I have looked at that is a current model can be had for the same or lower than the total cost on Gunbroker ($ for item, $ for shipping, $ for FFL). It is possible occasionally to get a good deal if you do your homework and don't get sucked into the auction frenzy.

While there are items on Gunbroker not readily available from a local merchant, I try to buy local as much as possible.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 75+ transactions on Gunbroker spanning more than 5 years. I've only had one bad experience, and it was more or less my fault. I did NOT check shipping prices and paid for my lack of descretion.

One other thing. I refuse to use Paypal (communist bastards) but if you do use it to pay for something weapons related (it dosen't even have to be firearms) and something goes wrongbwith the sale, Paypal will not only refuse to reimburse you, they may actually bar you from further use of their services. (communist bastards)

As stated before- Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)

Last edited:

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I just bought my first gun on Gunbroker a few weeks ago and everything went smoothly. I didn't buy from a dealer so the most difficult thing for me was finding an FFL that would accept a gun from an individual. I even had an FFL tell me it was illegal for them to accept a gun from an individual out of state!!!

As others have said, be sure to weigh in costs of shipping and FFL transfers. What seems like a good deal may not be that much cheaper than if you were to buy from your local dealer.

Top Bottom