• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I would engrave matching Berettas with the prayer from Boondock Saints and put a supressor on em. Ya know, those are more customizable than people realize. Most people want the blinged out 1911's though. Taurus makes two factory customized versions of the 92FS. Incidentally, they use the same exact machines and tooling that Beretta was using before they left Brazil so essentially its about the same quality of gun. The only difference is that Taurus changed the design to not be a total knockoff. They mounted the safety on the frame instead of the receiver which I actually prefer. That, and the Taurus doesn't cost as much.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    2 years?
    Do you have any rust problems since then?
    I was wondering about that if the engraving take off the original finish.

I'm only guessing on this as I have not altered my Glock in this way, but I know that Glock does a nitriding process on their guns and I've been told that there is a layer of tennifer over the bare steel. Its a chemical bonding process so there is no stratafication. It seems that they are only taking off a very thin top layer of finish and not actually reaching bare steel. As I understand it this grey part is actually much harder and stronger and resistant to wear and rust than the outer black part. I would not hesitate to get this done to my own Glock except I do not find it aesthetically appealing. Also if I ever had to use it I don't want to have to explain to a jury why I killed my attacker with a pimped out gat.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm only guessing on this as I have not altered my Glock in this way, but I know that Glock does a nitriding process on their guns and I've been told that there is a layer of tennifer over the bare steel. Its a chemical bonding process so there is no stratafication. It seems that they are only taking off a very thin top layer of finish and not actually reaching bare steel. As I understand it this grey part is actually much harder and stronger and resistant to wear and rust than the outer black part. I would not hesitate to get this done to my own Glock except I do not find it aesthetically appealing. Also if I ever had to use it I don't want to have to explain to a jury why I killed my attacker with a pimped out gat.

I dont think it would be a problem unless you have "one shot one kill" or "dye MOFO" engraved on the slide.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Changed

I have changed a few things on mine over the years because of Liabilty issues. I changed my back plate from a Punisher emblem to a Bio-hazard emblem because of what might be said by a jury. The flames should be fine but with my occupation the punisher would have more than likely brought me some grief if I ever had to use the firearm.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Mine daily carry has been laser engraved for over 2 years now
    Glock27.jpg

And here I thought you carried an M&P ;)

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have a m&p that i knocked the sights out of and sanded off the black coating. it has a black anodized with some swirling in it now. I was gonna go till i hit stainless but i like the anodized look now. maybe in the future ill go to stainless.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I wouldn't on a carry gun, I'd think that any personalization in that manner would be a magnet for grief even if it was just paying a lawyer to explain away out it has nothing to do with function.

I think it's cool when PD's get the guns they issue engraved in a batch, badge numbers included; but I'd never buy one for personal carry or use.

I have thought about it if I acquire enough Glocks that I had one or two that were strictly competition to put a GSSF logo or something like that (even more so if I won one through competition), to help pick it out of the lineup in the safe.

And I don't buy guns with intention of reselling them ever; and I think just like modifying cars you'll likely end up losing money unless it suits your buyer specifically.

All of that said, whenever I go to a Cabela's type place I make it a point to browse through the gun library section, as when the engraving is hand done, I appreciate them as works of art; knowing the effort and labor and skill that went into it and often times being able to see the story and history of the gun.

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    I bought my wife a IMI SP-21 for her wedding gift, It had her married name and our wedding date! It was about $75 at a local shop.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I bought a stainless PPK to commemorate our 25th wedding anniversary. I'll eventually have that one engraved with our initials and wedding date. I'd like to go with the old school style of engraving on that, but cannot afford to put that kind of money into it right now. It's a keeper, so I'm not worried about the effect on value. The idea is to create an heirloom that will be around long after we're gone.

Gutpile Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indian Territory, USA
    Just my two cents, but I would much rather keep a gun stock looking than do a laser engraving. Some things, a rememberance, a retirement, etc. might be OK if done very small, but I didn't like that flag motif on the top of the receiver.

If I was really going to get an engraving, it would have to be a real "art, you know, leafs, whirlly gigs, etc. " engraving like that used to do on the old Colts SAs and some of the S&Ws. If I spent that much for an engraving....I wouldn't shoot it.....just put it away and look at it.

Top Bottom