• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Those Spitfires were beautiful war birds!
    Just thinking about firing that 70 year old machine gun sends chills up my spine.There's something very special about all the hardware our heroes,.... parents, and grandparents used during the war. I get the same feeling touching and firing the old WWll military firearms I own.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    The machine guns will now be made safe and join the rest of the aircraft on permanent display in Derry...

Hey you survived a plane crash and 70 years buried in the dirt but now we're going to cut you into pieces in the name of "public safety".
    Stupid Brits :(

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Hey you survived a plane crash and 70 years buried in the dirt but now we're going to cut you into pieces in the name of "public safety".

I was just ready to quote that line.

They could have said "The guns will now be rendered inoperable...".

What does making them safe mean? The guns were making Britains safe were they not?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Rumor has it that a half dozen or so completed P-47 Thunderbolts were buried somewhere near the Evansville plant when the contract was cancelled at the end of WWII.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

I was just ready to quote that line.

They could have said "The guns will now be rendered inoperable...".

What does making them safe mean? The guns were making Britains safe were they not?
    Putting those historic relics in a museum would seem to be a logical move.
    Of course the British completely lack logic when it comes to the subject of firearms.
    And the British wonder why we "divorced" them in the 1700's :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    My list of people to thank when I get to heaven for without whom I would have met a premature death.

Willis Carrier -Air conditioning
    Alexander Flemming - Penicillin
    Nicola Tesla - Alternating Current
    John Moses Browning - 1911

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sadly, "stupid Brits" is about right. If that country were to face another Adolf Hitler today they would lose. And not one day passes in the summertime when I don't get down on my knees and thank Willis Carrier.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sadly, "stupid Brits" is about right. If that country were to face another Adolf Hitler today they would lose.
    Wouldn't we? Five minutes after the first shot was fired the media would be showing dead Americans and talking about an "unjust war of aggression" and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid would be whining about bringing the troops home...

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Wouldn't we? Five minutes after the first shot was fired the media would be showing dead Americans and talking about an "unjust war of aggression" and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid would be whining about bringing the troops home...
    Oh, I'm sure Nancy and Harry would be right in the thick of it all right. But I'll bet I could find a forum full of folks who would be ignoring them. :): Just my guess.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Rumor has it that a half dozen or so completed P-47 Thunderbolts were buried somewhere near the Evansville plant when the contract was cancelled at the end of WWII.

I've got a shovel if you've got a map...

Anyway, I saw a show about a squadron that landed in Greenland and was buried in ice. They finially found them (I think they were P-51 and B-17s) and brought one of the Mustangs up through the ice. They fired one of its .50bmgs as soon as it came up, still covered in ice and never hiccuped. Original ammo too :cool:

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Those Spitfires were beautiful war birds!
    Just thinking about firing that 70 year old machine gun sends chills up my spine.There's something very special about all the hardware our heroes,.... parents, and grandparents used during the war. I get the same feeling touching and firing the old WWll military firearms I own.

Can't agree more. I wasn't born until the vietnam confilct, but that is the reason i will never sell my WWII m1 carbine.

Thanks for the post.

Top Bottom