• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I was in a LGS last week, guy at the counter said 'if you can count how many guns you have, you don't have enough'. I see weapons like a golfer sees his golf bag. Different weapons for different situations. Sometimes you need to hit the long ball, and sometimes you need to putt.

SolidDragon74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2020
    Northern
    With each type of firearm is a different purpose. You would have a hard time sporting clays with your revolver, and it would be a bit of a challenge to conceal a hunting rifle in your pants. But having a few that are good at each their own thing as well as getting those "cool" guns you enjoy just because. and maybe it something you might enjoy from a more engineering perspective. There is always a reason you can find to just get that one more

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Probably not a lot of people are going to answer the “how many” question for a variety of reasons, including they don’t honestly know.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Abysmal timing, OP. Best of luck to you regardless, but unless you weren't legally allowed to own firearms until recently or have somehow been stockpiling ammo for guns/calibers you don't own, you honestly couldn't have picked a worse time to start considering growing your collection.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I only own 2 firearms. A Walther pk380 which I'm trying to trade for a pocket pistol, and a 380 shield ez. I can't get myself to sell the Walther, but just to trade it. I see myself buying more guns in the future. Do I really need more guns? How many do you have?

Challenger76, if you truly own only the two pistols in your original post, keep them. Build your arsenal from there. You're probably going to lose money on a trade, so keep what you have. Depending on how much income you have, your next move should be a long gun. A shotgun will be cheaper, and it'll be be a devastating round to opponents if you avoid cliches and feed it full of slugs. Birdshot, buckshot, bullsnot. Buy slugs. Park an ounce of lead in a thoracic cavity or a brain housing group, and you win the fight.

Don't sell or trade guns until they're "extra", and work towards the point where you have "extra" guns. You're doing better than a lot of people right now. Don't move backwards.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I suspect many of us are in the same position.

In reality, owning several guns isn't much of a feat. My dad enjoyed shooting and passed that hobby on to me. He gave me a few guns when I left home and got married several decades ago. A .22 rifle, a 12 gauge, a .222 for groundhogs, and a 30-06 O3-A3 he sporterized back in the 50's.

As we aged, he occasionally felt like I should have something additional, just a father giving his son something for a hobby they shared. All told, probably didn't total $3000 in todays dollars. That's far less than a boat, camper, motorcycle, etc.. I'm sure we all have our ways of helping our children in life. Some help with a car, money towards a house or renovation, contribute to their 401, or just a weekly bag of groceries.

Since then I have added a gun here and there. I'm sure other gun guys have as well. A nice 22 revolver and a similar 357, a couple of target rifles, the occasional new deer rifle. The reason is immaterial, this is America, and 200+ years ago the framers of this country gave us that right.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One more than AT and unconstitutional F has in their museum of "Ha Ha, the Constitution Says That You Can Own These, But We Say Nope" firearms. And then one more than that, then one more, and then...

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I only own 2 firearms. A Walther pk380 which I'm trying to trade for a pocket pistol, and a 380 shield ez. I can't get myself to sell the Walther, but just to trade it. I see myself buying more guns in the future. Do I really need more guns? How many do you have?

You will know when you have too many guns or too much ammo. If the weight of it all changes the rotation of the earth.....THEN and only then do you have too much. :D

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    onemore.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went through a period of time when I owned quite a few but over some years I did some buying, selling and trading to "optimize" and figure out what I really wanted.

Now I have one pistol for training, practice, home defense, carry and will use it if I ever decide to compete. Yes, I will be at a disadvantage if I use it to compete, but I would only be doing competition to improve my competence with that particular pistol and to see my improvements. Being low on the leaderboard won't matter to me.

My budget does not allow me to build even a modest firearm "inventory" so I work with what I have.

I would like to have a backup to my one pistol, but I haven't been able to let loose of the funds yet. Maybe if one comes up at the same price I paid for my original, I'd do it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    You need at least one more gun. Doesn't matter how many you have, or how many you actually shoot. You need at least one more.

In all seriousness I would have at least two guns in at least 9mm for carrying. I think you'll want the extra power over the 380, and you want at least two in case one breaks.
    If all you're concerned about is protection for yourself that should do.

Personally I would want some kind of home defense long gun also. A 12 gauge pump is hard to beat. The first two firearms I purchased were a personal defense handgun, and 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Top Bottom