• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    One year when I was on the NRA Board the banquet speaker at the convention was Phil Gramm.

He summed it up perfectly when he said, "I have more guns than I can shoot, but I don't have as many as I want."

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I started this thread and now feel stupid. There's really no "hoarding" guns. We have what we have.

You shouldn't feel stupid. It's a valid question.

Some of us go a little crazy with it sometimes. As long as you're handling everything else well from a financial standpoint, it's not a problem.

The first, most basic need that should be fulfilled is a solid self-defense gun. This is generally a handgun. Then you should acquire a home defense gun. This could also double as a hunting arm.

Then you need training guns like .22s for new shooters, fun guns that are just weird and cool, historic arms, multiples of guns you already own because 2 is 1 and 1 is none, guns that you bought and you don't even know why, BB guns that resemble guns you already own, optics, lights, bipods, body armor, night vision, tactical clothes, massive amounts of ammunition and magazines, freeze-dried food, water purifiers, medical gear from first aid kits to surgical instruments and medical textbooks, chocolate bars, women's hosiery, lead-lined suits, chemical protective gear, underground shelter capable of withstanding nuclear attack, and board games to pass the time. Oh, and lots and lots of booze.

I wouldn't consider owning a few firearms and accessories as "hoarding", as long as you're not busting your budget to do so.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have several different firearms in multiple calibers. I have all the main calibers and several oddball calibers. However, when ammo gets hard to find my oddball calibers are usually still sitting on a shelf at a gun shop. So having different calibers is better than have the top 3 or 4 and no ammo.

I'm a collector, shooter, home defender. Firearms and reloading is my hobby. So I'm going to have a few more Firearms than the average Joe. My millionaire uncle has me beat by several hundred Firearms. He has a very unique collection to say the least. He's an all around good guy with a passion for Firearms. I blame him for starting me down the rabbit hole lol.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I usually answer the, "how many" question this way:

I have two. The one you are seeing me shoot now and the next one you see me shoot.

Other than that, it is none of your business.

Or, it's sitting in his closet, still in it's original box, never shot.

:+1: For some reason this has struck me funny this morning. Probably because it is more than likely true.

Beware the man who only owns one gun.

He likely knows how to use it.

I'd rather say, "Beware the man that goes to the range frequently and actually practices/trains with his firearms."

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    That's why you have them in multiple places, move them around a lot, and never have them all out at the same time! She never knows how many there are...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    One man's hoard of guns is the average INGOer's "nice start".

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Many questions begin forming around this topic for me. Should I tuck away a gun in each room JIC? Do I need one in a bag taped to the inside of the toilet tank lid? If SHTF what do I do with them all? Do I need as many in my truck to match the seating capacity?

The answer to all is a big ol' yes!

For me personally I've been cutting back a bit and selling some. I have things about where I want them for now.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Different firearms have different uses, for example I really would like to add a 10/22 to the collection for cheap rifle plinking practice. Not every gun has to be a "serious" gun. Though I guess if SHTF it would be great for small game. That is how I will justify that , love it when a plan comes together.

Top Bottom