• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Has anyone else noticed how many gun owners have car problems? Or home repairs that all of a sudden crop up? How about a wife or kid is sick? Or I just had to put my dog down, I can't buy your gun right now, but I can trade you 3 Mosin Nagants and some gift cards for your SCAR, Any interest?
    All these things seem to happen to gun owners just as they are about to buy a firearm, or in some cases sell one.

Some times the said firearm for sale/trade, no longer will be traded due to a sudden car problem, then it is "cash only no trades".
    I'm just curious what the rest of you have heard when you're about to close a deal, then at the last minute you get a PM or text that says:
    "Hey the water pump in my car went out, I won't be able to buy your gun".

Is it me, or are gun owners just generally unlucky? I know we all have these problems at some point, but it seems to happen a lot right in the 11th hour.

So lets hear it INGO, what are some of your best "deal breakers" ?

Maybe the men and women of INGO should all carry a rabbits foot instead of a gun.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I remember the infamous INGO Great Lakes Cruise of 2009. You never saw so many guns get lost in a single trip in your life.

We should have known better than to book a trip on the Edmund Fitzgerald II. :(

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    How about a deal stopper? My gun was specifically listed "For Sale, FTF, near the south side of Indy". A prospective buyer gave me an offer I might have considered otherwise but wanted me to deliver it to Ft. Wayne. My counter offer was asking price plus $50 delivery or his offer FTF in Southport. Never heard from him again. I can only assume his computer or his car crashed. Apparently, some people are spending too much of their transportation maintenance budget on guns. :)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    How about a deal stopper? My gun was specifically listed "For Sale, FTF, near the south side of Indy". A prospective buyer gave me an offer I might have considered otherwise but wanted me to deliver it to Ft. Wayne. My counter offer was asking price plus $50 delivery or his offer FTF in Southport. Never heard from him again. I can only assume his computer or his car crashed. Apparently, some people are spending too much of their transportation maintenance budget on guns. :)

He probably had to buy a new computer, and could no longer afford your gun. Yes the travel can be a deal stopper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I have to admit I was one of the unlucky ones. Had a deal working on a .308 bolt gun and another on some ammo at the same time. Was flush to cover both deals. Wife called me from the Grocery store....her truck would not go into reverse. Trans took a crap. $1850 later it was rolling again. I had to make 2 calls...... "sorry but".....These things do happen.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's a new one that I haven't heard yet. I'll file that one away for mid January, you know when it's below zero.
    Same thing for August when it's 102 degrees outside.

I finished my Christmas lights in 5 degree weather. That night it hit 0. Why wait for January.

I work on electronics and instrumentation at a steel mill.
    When I used to work outside and it was sunny and warm, everything inside would break.
    When it was single digits, or pouring rain, outside stuff would break.
    Lightning storm, and I'd be climbing towers.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    He probably had to buy a new computer, and could no longer afford your gun. Yes the travel can be a deal stopper.

Which is why I've never understood people being o rigid on it. Indiana is a big state, the audience on the classifieds could be from anywhere. People should expect to travel to get a deal done, otherwise the local buying pool shrinks big time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Have had this as well. Gun posted at reasonable price. Received a fair offer and I PM'd with acceptance but they had to do the lions share of the driving at that price. My adds always say how far I am willing to go for full price.....1 Hr. from my front door. The response was something to the effect of how unfair that was. He lived near Gary Ind.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I drove almost 3 hours for a trade I did with another member. Hkfiend lives in the Evansville area and of course I live way up north. We met in Crawfordsville, had lunch and traded in the parking lot. If it's something I really want, I don't mind traveling a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I drove almost 3 hours for a trade I did with another member. Hkfiend lives in the Evansville area and of course I live way up north. We met in Crawfordsville, had lunch and traded in the parking lot. If it's something I really want, I don't mind traveling a bit.

I would roll out for good deals when I had my service truck and could write off the fuel and mileage...........:)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've never had that type of problem, but one guy threw me for a loop.

I found an ad on Armslist a couple years ago.
    The ad was for two pistols. I was really only interested in one, but it was a package deal, and the price was more than just tempting.

I contacted the seller and we agreed to meet at his house. I was a little leery of this, but I was armed, and I thought if I don't like the sitruation when I get there I'll just turn around and leave.

I show up and the guy invites me inside to see the guns.
    I did not get a bad vibe from him so I followed him inside. He had both guns laying out on the table when we walked in the door.
    I began going over the handguns and he started talking about why he was getting rid of them. He offered the information. I did NOT ask.

He told me that "he could no longer own firearms".
    I asked why.
    He said that he had been accused of hitting his ex-girlfriend. Said he had a court date in a week or so and he wanted to be rid of the guns before the court date because someone told him that since he was accused of battery he was no longer eligible to own firearms.
    He said he did not want to get in trouble when he went into court because he still had firearms.

I asked if he had been arrested. He said no.
    Asked if a restraining order had been filed against him. He said, "What's that?" I explained, he said no.

I got the feeling I was dealing with a 12 year old, but the guy was 25-30.
    As God is my witness I tried my best to explain to him that until there was a court judgement, he did NOT need to sell his firearms.
    I told him that if the courts decided that he was no longer eligible that they would tell him so in NO uncertain terms.

He understood what I was saying, at least he said he did, but he was adamant. He wanted to get rid of them.

Now I wanted to know, and I asked, "Where did you get these guns?"
    He opened one of the cases to show me the receipt showing he bought this one at the 1500 (receipt clearly listed dealer, address, phone#, FFL#...)
    He then reached in his pocket and produced the other receipt showing a recent sale from a local gun shop.

All receipt names matched his drivers license, and address (no LTCH), all good to go.

I pulled the cash (his asking price) out of my pocket and gave it to him.

He said thank you very much, I said thank you, and told him I wished him luck with his court date.

I picked up my two new guns and went home.

I got home, broke them both down for a good cleaning. Gathered up some ammo and headed to a range.
    Test fired them both and both passed with flying colors. Back home, cleaned and put in the safe.

Two weeks later I see a chance to trade the one that I didn't really want for something I did want, so I traded.

A full 2 MONTHS after the sale my cell phone rings one day. It's him. He said his court date came and went.
    "Everything's O.K. I CAN own firearms".

I said, "Great, good for you."

He then asked if he could buy them both back for the same money he sold them to me for?

I told him no.

He said, "But I thought I should be able to buy them back since I can own them again".

I told him sorry, he never mentioned it at the time of the sale and I didn't offer.

He seemed rather bummed, but what was I supposed to do?
    I had tried to talk him OUT of selling them at that time. He insisted he HAD to sell them.

He had no information of mine except a cell phone number so I didn't worry too much more about it.

Kind of freaked me out though when he called back after 2 months and wanted to buy them back!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never had that type of problem, but one guy threw me for a loop.

I found an ad on Armslist a couple years ago.
    The ad was for two pistols. I was really only interested in one, but it was a package deal, and the price was more than just tempting.

I contacted the seller and we agreed to meet at his house. I was a little leery of this, but I was armed, and I thought if I don't like the sitruation when I get there I'll just turn around and leave.

I show up and the guy invites me inside to see the guns.
    I did not get a bad vibe from him so I followed him inside. He had both guns laying out on the table when we walked in the door.
    I began going over the handguns and he started talking about why he was getting rid of them. He offered the information. I did NOT ask.

He told me that "he could no longer own firearms".
    I asked why.
    He said that he had been accused of hitting his ex-girlfriend. Said he had a court date in a week or so and he wanted to be rid of the guns before the court date because someone told him that since he was accused of battery he was no longer eligible to own firearms.
    He said he did not want to get in trouble when he went into court because he still had firearms.

I asked if he had been arrested. He said no.
    Asked if a restraining order had been filed against him. He said, "What's that?" I explained, he said no.

I got the feeling I was dealing with a 12 year old, but the guy was 25-30.
    As God is my witness I tried my best to explain to him that until there was a court judgement, he did NOT need to sell his firearms.
    I told him that if the courts decided that he was no longer eligible that they would tell him so in NO uncertain terms.

He understood what I was saying, at least he said he did, but he was adamant. He wanted to get rid of them.

Now I wanted to know, and I asked, "Where did you get these guns?"
    He opened one of the cases to show me the receipt showing he bought this one at the 1500 (receipt clearly listed dealer, address, phone#, FFL#...)
    He then reached in his pocket and produced the other receipt showing a recent sale from a local gun shop.

All receipt names matched his drivers license, and address (no LTCH), all good to go.

I pulled the cash (his asking price) out of my pocket and gave it to him.

He said thank you very much, I said thank you, and told him I wished him luck with his court date.

I picked up my two new guns and went home.

I got home, broke them both down for a good cleaning. Gathered up some ammo and headed to a range.
    Test fired them both and both passed with flying colors. Back home, cleaned and put in the safe.

Two weeks later I see a chance to trade the one that I didn't really want for something I did want, so I traded.

A full 2 MONTHS after the sale my cell phone rings one day. It's him. He said his court date came and went.
    "Everything's O.K. I CAN own firearms".

I said, "Great, good for you."

He then asked if he could buy them both back for the same money he sold them to me for?

I told him no.

He said, "But I thought I should be able to buy them back since I can own them again".

I told him sorry, he never mentioned it at the time of the sale and I didn't offer.

He seemed rather bummed, but what was I supposed to do?
    I had tried to talk him OUT of selling them at that time. He insisted he HAD to sell them.

He had no information of mine except a cell phone number so I didn't worry too much more about it.

Kind of freaked me out though when he called back after 2 months and wanted to buy them back!

And....he can still vote........:faint:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a deal going on my SKS. The member told me he was leaving town for a couple of months and wouldn't be home OR on INGO. About a week later he posted about a range trip he and a few buddys had made locally. I sent him a pm asking if the deal was still on. Never heard back. If you don't want the gun, just say so. Or if you find out your CZ 22 lr is worth more than my sks after the deal had been made, fess up and tell me. I'll throw in some cash!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Yep. Offered a guy $50 less than asking because he wanted to meet 2 hours away, or we could meet in the middle of us for asking price. He refused to meet in the middle or budge on his price. It was a DECENT price, but I was willing to do what I could. I understand it's HIS asking price, but why you're willing to travel one county and that's it is beyond me. I've travelled farther to buy and travelled farther to sell. Sometimes you've gotta compromise.

Top Bottom