• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This problem is solved if people establish two funds: One for guns and ammo, and the other for cars and various emergencies. The two should never cross paths :D

I am lucky enough to have this. My gun money is for guns, ammo and accessories only. If it needs replenished, I do side work, or sell something.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I present my guns for sale with a % on condition. It is so stated and will hold up to that scrutiny under inspection by any one. I have drove miles to buy a gun only to find it is not as represented in the add and looks like a POS. Owner gets all butt hurt over it but I will not pay top dollar for something that has lived under the seat of your car.........Period.

Right, I get that, I don't have an issue with that. What creeps me out are the compulsive hand washer types who literally freak out if there's literally a single smudge. If you missed a tiny (I mean TINY) speck of carbon in some crevice somewhere. If there is a small cosmetic defect (not "dragged behind a truck"), on a gun that was advertised as "used." I have never sold a gun as LNIB because I know that no matter what I do to clean it that first tiny imperfection from simply being fired is going to set those people off. I mean every gun I have gotten test fired from a factory has had SOME small amount of residue even when it WAS CLEANED AT THE FACTORY. I'm sorry, if the factory is going to sell a gun like that as NIB then I don't see that I have to spend more effort than that to get a gun cleaner than when it was first assembled when I already made it cleaner than when it was sold NIB from a dealer.

To some people that TINY bit that got missed in a good-faith effort to clean up is "filthy." Those people creep me out. And as I said before, then there are those who use that definition of "filthy" or some made up "filth" to try to talk you down after you've spent time and effort to meet up, not because they are a perfectionist, but because they are simply that much of a jerk to continue to try to get that last dollar even after they have agreed to buy. I have no use for those people. It's pretty clear to me that those folks in both the first and second category and I are not ever going to see eye to eye so I just avoid selling to them in the first place whenever I can. I have told a few people "no" when they contacted me about something I was selling because I know that about them.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have never tried to get a cheaper price when a dirty gun is presented to me. I look past the dirt, I do go home and clean them up just to see how they can look once properly cleaned and lubed. I have bought my share of dirty guns. But when I sell one, it is clean and lubed. I want the buyer to feel good about their purchase.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have never tried to get a cheaper price when a dirty gun is presented to me. I look past the dirt, I do go home and clean them up just to see how they can look once properly cleaned and lubed. I have bought my share of dirty guns. But when I sell one, it is clean and lubed. I want the buyer to feel good about their purchase.

Exactly.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Just going to say gun show guns are almost always dirty. Once looked at a Marlin 30-30 at the 1500. It was on a table with other guns that obviously came from a sheriffs sale (tags). This rifle had blood and tissue on the front sight. For real, put it down quick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right, I get that, I don't have an issue with that. What creeps me out are the compulsive hand washer types who literally freak out if there's literally a single smudge. If you missed a tiny (I mean TINY) speck of carbon in some crevice somewhere. If there is a small cosmetic defect (not "dragged behind a truck"), on a gun that was advertised as "used." I have never sold a gun as LNIB because I know that no matter what I do to clean it that first tiny imperfection from simply being fired is going to set those people off. I mean every gun I have gotten test fired from a factory has had SOME small amount of residue even when it WAS CLEANED AT THE FACTORY. I'm sorry, if the factory is going to sell a gun like that as NIB then I don't see that I have to spend more effort than that to get a gun cleaner than when it was first assembled when I already made it cleaner than when it was sold NIB from a dealer.

To some people that TINY bit that got missed in a good-faith effort to clean up is "filthy." Those people creep me out. And as I said before, then there are those who use that definition of "filthy" or some made up "filth" to try to talk you down after you've spent time and effort to meet up, not because they are a perfectionist, but because they are simply that much of a jerk to continue to try to get that last dollar even after they have agreed to buy. I have no use for those people. It's pretty clear to me that those folks in both the first and second category and I are not ever going to see eye to eye so I just avoid selling to them in the first place whenever I can. I have told a few people "no" when they contacted me about something I was selling because I know that about them.

I have met a few of those people. I have dealt with them at all levels in my life time. They are more the norm in my trade these days.
    I was merely stating how I present my guns for sale. If it does not pass muster to a buyer, well, I was driving home any way. No worries, I will keep it. Generally do not "Have" to sell a gun but want to sell it to get something else. If I come home with a pocket full of cash my darling wife will always get a piece of the pile as it seems to keep her happy. Shopping is always met with a smile from my "Better" half.....:)

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    It does seem like this happens a lot, but i'm sure some of it is legit, my dad had to sell a gun to pay off med bills so it does happen

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I think most gun owners simply operate on the ragged edge of finances. No emergency funds for stuff besides guns. :)

Has anyone else noticed how many gun owners have car problems? Or home repairs that all of a sudden crop up? How about a wife or kid is sick? Or I just had to put my dog down, I can't buy your gun right now, but I can trade you 3 Mosin Nagants and some gift cards for your SCAR, Any interest?
    All these things seem to happen to gun owners just as they are about to buy a firearm, or in some cases sell one.

Some times the said firearm for sale/trade, no longer will be traded due to a sudden car problem, then it is "cash only no trades".
    I'm just curious what the rest of you have heard when you're about to close a deal, then at the last minute you get a PM or text that says:
    "Hey the water pump in my car went out, I won't be able to buy your gun".

Is it me, or are gun owners just generally unlucky? I know we all have these problems at some point, but it seems to happen a lot right in the 11th hour.

So lets hear it INGO, what are some of your best "deal breakers" ?

Maybe the men and women of INGO should all carry a rabbits foot instead of a gun.

Top Bottom