Gun Rights Discussion Tonight on WIBC, 7-9.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I've been following the Evansville Zoo story here since the beginning and listened to the radio interview tonight. Excellent show!

Although I do have one nit to pick. One caller stated that it was unlawful to bring a firearm onto the US Postal Service property, and you agreed. Actually I do not believe that is accurate. You can bring a firearm onto the property (such as the parking lot) but you cannot bring it into the building. I think this is an important distinction for those of us who carry open or concealed.

Anyway, as a person who was born and raised in IN (Hammond) I have been following the Evansville and Hammond stories. The C&P comments leave a lot to be desired, don't they?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Actually I do not believe that is accurate. You can bring a firearm onto the property (such as the parking lot) but you cannot bring it into the building.

You may wish to review that again, as well as the cases where postal employees and contractors have been prosecuted for having guns in parking lots.

39 CFR 232.1(l) and 18 USC §930.

Here's a law professor discussing Dorosan where the defendant was prosecuted for having a gun in his car in a parking lot of a Post Office.

The Volokh Conspiracy - More on Guns in Post Office Parking Lots:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    You may wish to review that again, as well as the cases where postal employees and contractors have been prosecuted for having guns in parking lots.

39 CFR 232.1(l) and 18 USC §930.

Here's a law professor discussing Dorosan where the defendant was prosecuted for having a gun in his car in a parking lot of a Post Office.

The Volokh Conspiracy - More on Guns in Post Office Parking Lots:
    Kirk, I only got through about half of that article (it's reallllllly long ;) ). However, in that article it seems to be just talking about the "secured employee parking area", that is expressly posted as off limits to firearms.

I know an argument can be made for "1 inch over the property line" is a federal gun-free zone (and apparently an animal free zone as well), but has that ever been argued in court in relation to a post office?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

Thank you! I am about to listen now.

Edit: Very well done. With the FFL comment you seemed to be holding a bit back, so props to you. You were very decisive and confident; Im not sure your personal feelings on this, but I would say the way you were able to comfortably speak and answer questions, you would make a great candidate for the state legislation at some point.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom