• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'll pile on. My safe DID prevent some burglers from stealing my guns and having them used to rob, rape, maim, and murder, people. That said, I recall a case where several children were murdered in CA by a naked maniac with a pitchfork, partly, because the 14 year daughter/baby sitter who was trained and shot regularly, was unable to get to her parent's pistol because it was in a lockbox per CA law...for children's safety.

The bedside lockbox I used when my son was small was NOT crow-bar proof. I can see anti-gun politicians declaring that to be insufficient without considering it's purpose as temporary quick-access-storage while you're asleep. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile and "safe storage" laws will become "smart gun laws" etc.

Likewise, 1 size does NOT fit all regardless of bureaucratic red tape. There was a time when I was single and could count my guns on 1 hand with a couple fingers left over. I stored the ones I wasn't using/carrying disassembled with the parts hidden in creative places throughout my home. I'm convinced that they were more secure than the guns are in my safe now but I've got enough now, that it isn't practical to do that anymore.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think that many gun owners have enough tools in their home/garage that the majority of safes are not much deterrent. With some knowledge, time and tools the bad guys will get in.

All the more reason to have video verified MONITORED alarm systems. Dont let the bad guys hang out all day with your tools breaking into your safe in the privacy of your home. Its not necessarily common knowledge that in some jurisdictions police will get to your burglar alarm "as soon as they have time." due to so many false positives. But if you have cameras that either you or your central station can access in the event of a burg alarm trigger, they typically will dispatch ASAP to catch the idiots when you can verify that it is not a false alarm.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I like to leave mine laying around loaded.
    jump.gif
    jump.gif

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think he means the cops.
    You know how those ****ing donut eaten gun grabbing cops will do anything to disarm us.......... just to steal our wallets.

Pigs!
    fNN3al3.gif

huh? Denny is from an esteemed consolidated city/county PD; remember, it is the ISP guys who steal the wallets! You gotta keep your gun grabbin' and wallet stealin' departments apart! :):

ETA: Now that I'm retired, my quota for stolen wallets is way down. You know Troopers have quotas, right? :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes.
    ISP steals your wallet
    IMPD curb stomps you
    MCSD flies the boner drone.*

Get. It. Right. People!

*they do this as a diversionary tactic so IMPD can tell citizens that they dont have a boner drone.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    huh? Denny is from an esteemed consolidated city/county PD; remember, it is the ISP guys who steal the wallets! You gotta keep your gun grabbin' and wallet stealin' departments apart! :):

ETA: Now that I'm retired, my quota for stolen wallets is way down. You know Troopers have quotas, right? :):

Whocares

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I like to leave mine laying around loaded.
    jump.gif
    jump.gif
    You try to make a funny, but I actually do have loaded firearms laying about my house. My four year old daughter reminds me daily, “daddy, you left your shooter out where I can touch it”. I ask her if she touched it, she says no I’m not supposed to unless a grown up says so? Not really following the fact that non parenting is a thing. I have a very expensive Liberty safe, full of ****, but don’t feel the need, unless I’m gone to pack everything up and hide it away. When my daughter star5s having friends over, yes I’ll pick up my shooters. But hiding and locking them away isn’t the solution to bad parents or crazy kids.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just last year a friend of mine was murdered in his own living room with a gun stolen from a parked car less than a block from his house.
    That said, I think mandatory safe storage laws are an incredibly stupid idea.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If you want the government involved perhaps make stealing things and murder and rape illegal. Oh yeah, make it illegal for felons to possess guns too.

I keep my guns inside my locked, alarmed house. Good luck finding where they are hidden because they are not all in one place like a safe that says “steal me first”. Grandkids are on the horizon so secure storage from little hands is in my future but I don’t need government mandated storage as I would rather make decisions that fit my circumstances.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Gun control isn’t about the guns, it’s about the control.
    OP, if you champion the mandating of gun safes for all the right reasons, the next step would be guns in safes must have a trigger lock installed while in the safe. There is no end.

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Gun control isn’t about the guns, it’s about the control.
    OP, if you champion the mandating of gun safes for all the right reasons, the next step would be guns in safes must have a trigger lock installed while in the safe. There is no end.

Or require 2 safes, 1 for guns and 1 for ammo. Safes must be separated by a load bearing wall.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Why not lock up your safe in a safe?
    Wouldn't that be "safer"?

I have a safe inside of the space where I plan on constructing a (gun)safe room... does this count?

My guns will be locked up in said room. All 3 of them. The reason being, I have a teen who lives with her mother that visits often. I don't trust her mother's parenting skills. My daughter is a good kid though, but she still has learning to do.
    Then I have a 2 year old, I hope I can be a quality father to teach her there right way, but objectively speaking, I still have to prove this point.
    And finally, I have only known my fiancee for 4 years, idk if I can trust her + shes scary when I buy a new gun without telling her. All 3 times.. :nailbite:.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a safe inside of the space where I plan on constructing a (gun)safe room... does this count?

My guns will be locked up in said room. All 3 of them. The reason being, I have a teen who lives with her mother that visits often. I don't trust her mother's parenting skills. My daughter is a good kid though, but she still has learning to do.
    Then I have a 2 year old, I hope I can be a quality father to teach her there right way, but objectively speaking, I still have to prove this point.
    And finally, I have only known my fiancee for 4 years, idk if I can trust her + shes scary when I buy a new gun without telling her. All 3 times.. :nailbite:.

I've actually met more than one person who advocate locking handguns in a handgun safe, then locking that safe in a larger safe.
    Redundancy can be a good thing in some cases, but when you start talking about accessibility for the owner...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh! I know! Why not make it illegal to steal weapons of ANY kind? Make it illegal from felons to have a firearm? Make it illegal to hurt someone with a weapon?

That should fix it!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The other side of the story is that gun owners need to understand their responsibility to keep their firearms out of the hands of those who would use them for harm. There does need to be some accountability for those who are foolish.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I've actually met more than one person who advocate locking handguns in a handgun safe, then locking that safe in a larger safe.
    Redundancy can be a good thing in some cases, but when you start talking about accessibility for the owner...

Theres one gun that stays within arms reach in bed or on my person. All others are secured. I think there is a way to have accessibility and child safety. As far as security purposes, I believe that you can deter thieves. Starting with discretion, followed by buying a huge ass safe that would make it a pain in the ass.
    Criminals that are likely to break into safes, go in with prior knowledge and intent on doing so. So if they dont know about it, you should be mostly good to go, as I would think 99% of break in would be carried out by idiots without the desire to risk it. That is unless they can pick it up and run off with it.
    Alas, I'm no expert and these are just my theories.

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    The other side of the story is that gun owners need to understand their responsibility to keep their firearms out of the hands of those who would use them for harm. There does need to be some accountability for those who are foolish.

They've tried passing laws where the gun owner is legally liable if his gun is stolen and used in a crime. One of the bills I read required that the owner report the theft within 24 hours to avoid liability. First thing I thought was, what if I'm on vacation?
    Seems insane to me. Turning the victim of a crime into the criminal.

Top Bottom