FvsMaIp.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You try to make a funny, but I actually do have loaded firearms laying about my house.

Not funny at all, pokey maybe. I have most in a steel locker. Locks are made to keep honest people honest.

I have a carbine ready to go and access to my sidearm 24/7

The other side of the story is that gun owners need to understand their responsibility to keep their firearms out of the hands of those who would use them for harm. There does need to be some accountability for those who are foolish.

As I understand it the inside of my house is my domain and no one is allowed to take my stuff. That should be enough.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The other side of the story is that gun owners need to understand their responsibility to keep their firearms out of the hands of those who would use them for harm. There does need to be some accountability for those who are foolish.

As with anything (just about), when we do not act responsibly on our own accord, there are those that are willing to try and force us to do it. There are those (as the OP demonstrates) “on our side” willing to help them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...As I understand it the inside of my house is my domain and no one is allowed to take my stuff. That should be enough.
    As long as you make sure they don't, it's plenty enough.

If one of your's brings one of your's to school, then who is accountable?

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    As I understand it the inside of my house is my domain and no one is allowed to take my stuff. That should be enough.

Absolutely.

Yes, that is (at least in Indiana, for right now), and should be, the state of the law (generally; there's almost always exceptions).

Many of us adopt additional measures to secure our valuables, especially our dangerous valuables, from those who shouldn't have them. Like kids. Or anyone I don't want to have my stuff.

As I indicated, upthread, there are criminal and civil laws in place to address those who intentionally or knowingly or recklessly or, in some cases, negligently let these dangerous valuables get into the wrong hands.

We have to keep encouraging our elected officials to resist the urge to "do something!" when something bad happens. Too often, one bad event creates the legislative fix. A couple of sessions ago the general assembly passed a law mandating helmet use for those under eighteen when operating ATVs, all because of one tragic accident. It happens.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think he means the cops.
    You know how those ****ing donut eaten gun grabbing cops will do anything to disarm us.......... just to steal our wallets.

Pigs!
    fNN3al3.gif

huh? Denny is from an esteemed consolidated city/county PD; remember, it is the ISP guys who steal the wallets! You gotta keep your gun grabbin' and wallet stealin' departments apart! :):

ETA: Now that I'm retired, my quota for stolen wallets is way down. You know Troopers have quotas, right? :):

Did somebody say wallet?

You try to make a funny, but I actually do have loaded firearms laying about my house. My four year old daughter reminds me daily, “daddy, you left your shooter out where I can touch it”. I ask her if she touched it, she says no I’m not supposed to unless a grown up says so? Not really following the fact that non parenting is a thing. I have a very expensive Liberty safe, full of ****, but don’t feel the need, unless I’m gone to pack everything up and hide it away. When my daughter star5s having friends over, yes I’ll pick up my shooters. But hiding and locking them away isn’t the solution to bad parents or crazy kids.
    You are not alone in your thinking, I was raised like this and raised my two like this, it's about anger management not putting the tools up.

Also, it's a hard no from me, goes against all the cold dead hands philosophy that I'm all about. OP, I believe the thing you need to understand is that the govt is never the answer, and more rules and regs are never the answer.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    When I got the original posting my first thought was this was an attempt as misdirection. I still feel that way. Not sure what the original posting was suppose to inspire in the discussion? Truly, this reads strange.
    Re-read the original post.
    The originator of this post certainly sounds like someone working for the LEFT. Pass a gun law requiring ALL gun owners to own a safe or otherwise, take their firearms. Even gun owners support requiring gun safes. Um yeah, NO we don't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I got the original posting my first thought was this was an attempt as misdirection. I still feel that way. Not sure what the original posting was suppose to inspire in the discussion? Truly, this reads strange.
    The originator of this post certainly sounds like someone working for the LEFT. Pass a gun law requiring ALL gun owners to own a safe or otherwise, take their firearms. Even gun owners support requiring gun safes. Um yeah, NO we don't.

Many gun owners SUGGEST using gun safes. That is the reality. Freedom requires choice. If you dont have a choice you are not free.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    One thing to suggest using gun safe, another thing to mandate. Reality is best served by the one that believe what they believe is reality. Show me the data. Freedom is freedom. Choice is a privilege of freedom not the cause of it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

No thanks, I got a headache the first time.

And it's got a good amount of Elmer Fuddism. Think he'll come back to this thread?

IIRC, Adam Lanza got his gun from his mother's safe.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You might be surprised how many gun owners think that what they think is a good idea is worth making a law to force everyone else to follow their advice (not to mention the opposite view as well).

Top Bottom