• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Decided to take my new Ruger 10/22 apart and clean it up a little. Used Hoppes and a brush to clean everything I could get to. Used the compressor to blow out as much gunk as I could. I saw quite a bit of gunk still in there so I grabbed the Gunscruuber and sprayed a little bit in to clean out the remaining residue and blew it out right away with the compressor. Well I didn't realize that that "weather proof" coating that Ruger puts on the "stainless" reciever is really paint.

I'm here to tell you that Gunscrubber is a good paint remover. All of the paint inside of the receiver bubbled up and got all gummy and stuck to everything. I spent 1/2 hour cleaning that all out and didn't think it was too bad because it can't be seen inside the receiver. Unfortunately some of it ran on the finish (paint) on the outside of the recieier as well and damaged that. It didn't bubble up and peel off like it did inside but still looks like crap.

My thinking now is to strip all of the finish off of the receiver and go naked with a wax finish if that will work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Sorry to hear it. I've actually thought about stripping mine and just doing a light sand to give it a brushed look. Haven't tried it yet. I did something similar with the barrel ( the "Chamber Block" portion. I don't know the technical term) on my P345. Didn't like the finish on the stainless and just carefully sanded it until it was brushed metal an no more coating. Looks nice I think.

That or get it Duracoated.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Sorry to hear about your problem but you probably saved a bunch of us from the same thing.

That's what I was hoping. BTW this was not the "synthetic safe" Gunscrubber. That might have made a difference. I usually just use it on my stainless revolvers and such.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive got 2 10/22s that I bought used, that are both 20 or so years old. They had finish issues, so I took some 3m Scotch Brite "surface conditioning discs" that go on a die grinder and cleaned all of the finish off of them. The discs give them a nice brushed look when its all said and done. A little wax or oil to keep the oxidation away and your golden. Looks GREAT with a stainless barrel with the same brushed treatment.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Look at it as an excuse to refinish the whole gun. Its how I always get away with it with out the woman complaining I am preserving an investment.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Removing the paint from the inside is a good thing. Keeps it from heating up and gumming up your bolt later on. From the outside depends on your wants. I just spray bombed mine camo. No big deal.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    My dog chewed up 2 10/22 receivers. I bought Duracoat in the spray can, prepped the receiver, shot it, and baked it in a toaster oven at 350 degrees. The finish has held up great. I use starter fluid or brake cleaner to clean a lot of my guns and no issues so far.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My dog chewed up 2 10/22 receivers. I bought Duracoat in the spray can, prepped the receiver, shot it, and baked it in a toaster oven at 350 degrees. The finish has held up great. I use starter fluid or brake cleaner to clean a lot of my guns and no issues so far.

you should not bake duracoat, its an air cure finish and it may not cure evenly or thoroughly.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Decided to take my new Ruger 10/22 apart and clean it up a little. Used Hoppes and a brush to clean everything I could get to. Used the compressor to blow out as much gunk as I could. I saw quite a bit of gunk still in there so I grabbed the Gunscruuber and sprayed a little bit in to clean out the remaining residue and blew it out right away with the compressor. Well I didn't realize that that "weather proof" coating that Ruger puts on the "stainless" reciever is really paint.

I'm here to tell you that Gunscrubber is a good paint remover. All of the paint inside of the receiver bubbled up and got all gummy and stuck to everything. I spent 1/2 hour cleaning that all out and didn't think it was too bad because it can't be seen inside the receiver. Unfortunately some of it ran on the finish (paint) on the outside of the recieier as well and damaged that. It didn't bubble up and peel off like it did inside but still looks like crap.

My thinking now is to strip all of the finish off of the receiver and go naked with a wax finish if that will work. Anyone have any suggestions?

I posted the same story a couple weeks ago. Your right its a good stripper.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    You can heat cure Duracoat

You can heat cure Duracoat by placing it into an oven or drying cabinet at 110 F for an hour. It will dry properly and you can reassemble the gun sooner. This is a recommended method from the Duracoat manufacturer. Just have to keep the heat low as recommended. I use this method often on anything smaller than a long barrel. Air drying is an alternative but it takes up to two weeks to fully harden.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would contact Ruger and see if they will take care of it under warranty.
    You never know, they just might.
    I have had good luck in recent years with gun mfgs. and outstanding customer service.
    They want your repeat business.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Dear Don XXXXXX ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 01/26/2011
    Request No: 83849

Comment / question:

I wanted to know if you all were aware that if you use gun scrubber on your
    10/22's it takes the finish off the receiver? Also,it now looks like crap,but
    will it hurt the function of the gun?

Response:
    Products like that contain acetone which is used in paint removal.
    The finish on your 10/22 is a powder coat.
    If you wish we can refinish your receiver for you.

Note never get acetone on any synthetic parts,stocks etc.

If you need further information, please visit our website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. or
    contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot
    accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I would duracote it. The colors are endless, and it is as simple as it gets. I've done a marlin model 60, and 2 Remington 1100's and couldn't be happier with the results.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I used to use GunScrubber and Powder Blast, then learned the hard way that it is not nice to hardchrome.

It will clean it up real nice, however it will also take the lubricant and protectiveness out of hard chrome. Now if it is real humid or shoot a match in the rain, little specks of rust pop up that have to be brushed off

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Well I didn't realize that that "weather proof" coating that Ruger puts on the "stainless" reciever is really paint.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
    Yet another reason I got rid of that stainless 10/22 I used to have (aside from the inaccuracy, jamming, and PITA reassembly)

You asked for recommendations? Savage Model 64.:yesway:

Top Bottom