• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to input that this particular lady friend i took to the store chose the .38 spl taurus on her own after shooting a larger variety of my stuff. She picked it based on reliability, price and her needs ( something small when she starts carrying) i originally tried to put her in a shield 9mm. But she just likes revolvers. I was acting as someone she could bounce ideas off of. I think it was a good choice.

now back to more gun shop bull :cool:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If someone hears a load of crap like the 10,000 rounds statement then for heavens sake speak up man!

Im not talking about telling someone they should pick this brand over another because it's what you like, but somebody popping off a load of crap needs put in his place.

I always take a new shooter to the range to shoot a variety of what I have or the 50 rental guns hanging on the wall.
    A woman should always try before she buys a handgun.
    Having worked retail, I am prone to keep my big mouth shut when a sales person is dealing with a customer, although your point is well taken. I recently have also been the customer, trying to talk to a gun shop salesman. I couldn't even carry on a conversation because of another person butting in and giving his 2 cents worth and droning on and on. I still think I'm the kind of person who knows what I don't know and am not afraid to ask questions. I try to be polite, like my old granny taught me. If possible, all new gun buyers should be able to shoot multiple guns before buying, as well as, taking a GOOD course in safety and marksmanship, but alas the vast majority don't. I understand that many gun shops don't want to pay for sales folks who have real knowledge and skills because they demand more money. They'd rather hire someone who has a cursory knowledge and pay them minimum wage. Unfortunately the customers end up taking a long time to find out that the "advice" they were given was either bad or pure bull. Unlearning bull is much harder than learning the truth at the outset.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Heard a good one tonight.

I had to stop at Rural King in Niles, MI to buy a broom on the way home from work. I wandered over to the guns just to look. The younger (early 20's maybe) guy was helping a gal with some pistols. I wasn't paying too much attention until I heard him say "Don't get an Indiana lifetime permit. They are not accepted in any other state like the 4 year ones."

I had to step up and correct him. His response was "Well, that's what the guy from the FBI told me when he was here."

I informed the gal to research the subject on her own by calling the ISP office and asking them directly.

He went on spewing about how Indiana has no training requirement and that is why Michigan doesn't recognize Indiana's permit.

I just shook my head and left.

The older guy that works the counter in the afternoons is great. I wish he'd teach the young guy a few things.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I was at a Gander Mountain some years back and the kid behind the gun counter was trying to impress a young female customer. I overhead him tell her that the Ruger 22/45 was a nice starter pistol because you could shoot both 22 and 45 caliber shells through it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It's too bad there isn't a place for all new clerks to take at least a days training from someone knowledgeable before they start work! As a collector of firearms with one of my son's, we have a very diverse range of calibers, types and styles, and shoot almost every firearm we own.

I have browsed in gun shops before and been given "advice" which caused me to laugh in the clerks face. When confronted and asked where these clerks got their (erroneous) information, their answers vary from "experts" to the "internet". It is ridiculous what they tell new shooters, and as had been stated, it is hard to convince the newby the idiots do not know what they are talking about.

I agree new gun owners should have an opportunity to try out different styles and calibers of firearms before they buy. Some ladies can handle large calibers better than large men, Others don't want to shoot anything above a .380. I have one DIL (fairly petite) that loves to shoot one son's S&W 500 mag, while another doesn't like anything above 38 special and carries a revolver. Another carries a .380 auto.

When we introduce a new shooter (male or female) to handguns, I like to start them out with a 22 handgun or rifle. As soon as they get used to it and THEY express the desire, we move up to a .380, then 38 Spl in light loads and if THEY wish continue in steps to 44 mag or if rifles up to a 30-06. All these are done when they are comfortable and request the larger caliber.

I really hate it when a gun shop employee recommends a large caliber or "light for the caliber" firearm to a new shooter. The new shooter should try out as above and purchase what they are comfortable with - without the surprise of being exposed to the recoil and loud noise of a larger caliber for their first shooting experience.

I also have nothing against carrying a revolver for EDC. I don't, mainly as I feel, due to the cylinder thickness, they are harder to conceal.
    As far as round count, the odds of having to confront more than one bad guy by the average person is astronomical, and any person trained with a revolver should be well capable of handling one bad guy in a home or defense situation.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I had to stop at Rural King in Niles, MI to buy a broom on the way home from work. I wandered over to the guns just to look. The younger (early 20's maybe) guy was helping a gal with some pistols. I wasn't paying too much attention until I heard him say "Don't get an Indiana lifetime permit. They are not accepted in any other state like the 4 year ones."

I had to step up and correct him. His response was "Well, that's what the guy from the FBI told me when he was here."

I informed the gal to research the subject on her own by calling the ISP office and asking them directly.

He went on spewing about how Indiana has no training requirement and that is why Michigan doesn't recognize Indiana's permit.

The older guy that works the counter in the afternoons is great. I wish he'd teach the young guy a few things.
    It sounds like there's not enough hours in the day for the educating that youngster needs. Good effort on your part, all you can do is provide info and sources.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Wow.... many of the stories in this thread simply make me CRINGE!

On occasion I will be asked by somebody new to the matter to help them "select" a gun.... If they are serious about it, it's usually a while before we get to talking about "which gun to buy". Instead, we start at the range with safety, function, and trying a variety of firearms to get an idea of what works best for them. Eventually, it gets down to them deciding what to buy.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A long time ago, at the old Plainfield Shooting Supplies location, I overheard a clerk talking with a potential buyer, and understood that this would be his very first firearm and for home defense. The clerk, obviously a blowhard, told the customer: "I recommend a 12 gauge pump shotgun,shotgun, and all you`ll really have to do is rack the slide, and the prowler will crap himself before he flees." I was beside myself, and couldn`t even help it. I spun around, and told the customer: "lethal force is not a game, or a B-movie. You rack the slide of your shotgun, and you will take fire. You have that gun loaded and racked with the safety on, and if lethal force is absolutely necessary, you flip the safety off and stop the threat! The clerk looked ticked, and the customer said nothing, but I couldn`t take that silly stuff being fed to a novice.

This one probably made me cringe more than the others... Not only was this clerk giving bad advice, he was giving advice that could get somebody killed. Unbelievable.

Good on you for speaking up.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    A lot of BS flows from many clerks/sales people in gun shops, whether big box stores or LGS. If the sales people / clerks would have ever done anything more than handle or coon finger the firearms they are trying to sell would be a big benefit.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

I just wrote this in another thread and did not realize that it also pertains here. So I will just leave this right here.....

As a former RK gun barn employee, I can confirm that very, very few of the people behind the gun counter are firearm people. The overwhelming majority of them are minimum wage shelf stockers who get "stuck" in the gun department.

They may be nice people, but not knowledgeable people. People should really view it as a self service sort of place...like McDonalds. If you don't know exactly what you want, then you are better off going somewhere else. This is a part of the reason why you are able to buy guns at the prices that RK offers. Something has to be sacrificed when you sell guns cheaper than any other brick and mortar store in the area.

I am so glad I don't have to work 2 jobs anymore!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ouch Op, I had a similar issue at Bradis. I was looking for a specific part and when I asked I got a lecture on how that part is not in existence and when I explained that I had one in the truck and was looking for another one, the employee called another employee over and that employee started lecturing me on how the part does not exist and how I should listen to him because he had been in the army.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think most hobbies/interests/avocations that appeal primarily to men also attract people who know everything and are eager to share their abundant knowledge with the rest of us ignorant savages. It's especially true when it's an activity that doesn't require participation in front of witnesses.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    About 15 years ago I had one of the counter guys at H&H (now Freedom) in FT Wayne tell me that using the slide release to drop the slide on an empty chamber would make a semi-auto pistol go full-auto. I'm still waiting for my 1911 to go full-auto.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I was told a story a few days ago. I believe it to be true. I was at one of my local shops where some of the employees used to work at the Point Blank in Merrillville. They were telling me that Point Blank hired an employee who was a novice with firearms. When this employee was left alone, he or she accidentally sold a suppressor to a customer and the customer left with it. I guess the ATF found out and SPB Merrillville is no longer allowed to sell suppressors and other Class 3 items. I guess things like that happen when the right people aren't hired.

Nitreoxide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Morresville
    My favorite is still the guy that won't sell glocks because they are trash, AK because it's a terrorist gun and builds tactical weapons for operators all over the world yet he is always manning his sales counter. Great entertainment in that guy!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My favorite is still the guy that won't sell glocks because they are trash, AK because it's a terrorist gun and builds tactical weapons for operators all over the world yet he is always manning his sales counter. Great entertainment in that guy!

Well since 90% of our military are snipers............he might be telling the truth LOL

Top Bottom