• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Drove through Osceola today and remembered the gun shop on Lincolnway in downtown. I grew up 3 blocks south of it and can't remember the name. There is a tattoo shop there now.

It was owned by two older guys. They had a good amount of archery stuff as I remember buying arrows there.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I remember a shop in New Castle In called Ramrod i believe, they had a full body mount Lion in a glass case and it looked like it was gonna attack ya when you walked in, big place and had some good buy's too.... Now its a judo place I believe... Sorry if someone already posted about it , didn't read all the posts... But that lion was cool...

Wow, I remember that name from the early 70's. My pattern-maker father had the bug to build muzzle-loaders and bought many of his supplies there when in town at the Chrysler and Dana facilities. I miss those places almost as much as I miss my Dad.
    :+1: for that one.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Sports World Co-Op in Evansville if i remember correctly. my father used to take me in there and i have had the bug ever since.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Galyan's Trading Post in Plainfield, IN was always a favorite of mine.

There used to be a general store in Belleville,IN that had a guns and ammo when I was little growing up in Clayton.

Growing up in Plainfield, I frequented both places as a teenager...

Bought my first pistol from Starr's near Cloverdale. It was a Colt Targetsman with a 6" barrel. Still have it today and it's still in pristene condition after many,many rounds.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This thread needs to come back.

What was the gun store on Kentucky Ave close to Mann Road in the Kroger shopping center? In 1994 I was 14, I scrapped and saved until I had enough money to buy a Ruger 10/22. Wow that gun was a shooter. Can't remember the name of that gun shop for the life of me. Anybody remember?

stauffmw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I don't remember the name of it, but it was in downtown Columbus.....I bought a Walther P22 Blue there. I went to the shop again a while afterward and it was closed. One of those shops that made you feel welcome whether you bought something or not. He was a HUGE Colt fan, remember a large selection of Colts of all kinds old and new in the cases.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    This thread needs to come back.

What was the gun store on Kentucky Ave close to Mann Road in the Kroger shopping center? In 1994 I was 14, I scrapped and saved until I had enough money to buy a Ruger 10/22. Wow that gun was a shooter. Can't remember the name of that gun shop for the life of me. Anybody remember?

I ran around that area most of my early life. No memory of a gun store there. A friend had a satellite system store in there in the mid '80s.

leb2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    spencerville
    Also, Norms Sport Shop, "Largest Gun Display In The Midwest", worked for Norm in the 60's. Coxys south of North Webster, what a charecter he was. Schluts Bros, North Manchester, Oh the smell of the leather!

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I ran around that area most of my early life. No memory of a gun store there. A friend had a satellite system store in there in the mid '80s.

It was on the side, facing Kentucky Ave, next to the Little Ceasars pizza and the tanning salon place. It was at least there in 1993-94. I moved away shortly after that.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Old place in Bradley IL when I was growing up. I used to ride my bicycle across town and stop in. I would stare at all the beautiful firearms and say hello to all the old timers in there sitting around shooting the bull. Dreamed about hunting and shooting.

On one of my last visits the old man owner gave me a bag of .22 ammo and told me to have fun and that he hoped I would get a few squirrels. I asked how much I owed him and he said don't worry about it.

Found out later the old man was sick and the shop got liquidated by his family. He later passed on.

Nice of him to give me those bullets. Cool old school shop. Wish I was a little older at the time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I doubt anybody here's been there but Robertson's in Henderson, TN. I think they've gone all internet sales now. But if you've watched one of the Walking Tall movies, you might have seen the store front in one of the scenes. They always had a nice selection and good people behind the counters.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I remember McMillian Sports in Terre Haute. I used to ride my bike across town to drool over their handguns. I wanted one really bad and my dad told me to save my money and buy one. I had a paper route at the time so when I saved up some money dad and I went in there to put one on lay away. I would ride my bike over there almost weekly making payments on it. When I finally had enough to pay it off I rode my bike over there and paid it off, put the new Smith & Wesson 38 Special in the basket of my bicycle and brought it home.

I dont think you can do that now and probably back in the early 70's you couldn't either. I know dad was surprised!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My first gun, shared with my big brother, was a Winchester falling block single shot .22. We put it in lay-away at the Gun Room in Muncie, and paid it off over time.

I still remember one time, we went to make a payment and I bought a sheath knife with my share and my brother was so mad.

The name of the guy who owned the Gun Room escapes me, but I do know that he was a fairly famous firearms engraver. In fact, if he was alone at the shop and working on an engraving, he would let you know he was busy and if you weren't gonna buy something, he'd rather that you just left so he could get back to work.

Top Bottom