• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes you have to treat the costumer like they know absolutely nothing. Why would they know which gun they want to look at. They probably just wandered in off the street not knowing they were in a gun shop. I’ve personally experienced this and took my business down the road.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In life in general, I've never minded the person who doesnt know everything but is willing to learn. We are all always learning. Truly there are no dumb questions if you are new to something. Thats how you learn. Ask away. Anyone who would put someone down for being a beginner or inexperienced probably has either little real hands on knowledge themself of is just a bad person. Either way, avoid that person and find a different salesperson or a different shop if thats not an option. There are plenty of good shops out there willing to earn your business for every one bad shop that just wants to act like ass hats.

I have a pretty decent knowledge of a few types of firearms but i still learn new things occasionally about those types that i didn't know before. And there are soooo many types of firearms that i have zero knowledge of. Besides the basics of being a firearm.
    Everyone learned at some point. No one was just programmed with info. Try to look at a newbie and remember how intimidated you felt the first times you were learning. I always try to put myself in another persons shoes and that allows me to better connect with them and help them with whatever it is we are doing.
    I think the ability to effectively communicate face to face, eye to eye, and with a firm handshake, is the most important skill in life. Its something I've really focused on with our children. It can open HUGE doors in life just simply being able to connect with people through conversation.
    You can learn facts and be a walking encyclopedia but if you dont have the ability to share that knowledge or ask questions and engage in debate and discussions on topics then its wasted potential.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've 30-06 cases fired in a 8x57 after the gun shop goof behind the counter sold them to the customer that wanted to use their range.

30.06 is 7.62 x 63, we used to cut the cases down to use for 8 x 57. Surprised they could even close the bolt/chamber the round

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks for everyone's input.

I have the out going personality , and the able to talk to strangers part no problem, along worth friendly etc. Etc.

But the only sales background I have is traveling with my pals band selling CDs at shows and festivals. The music sold the album's, I just facilitated it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Selling guns is just fun as a part time job. It's not lucrative, as I make way more in my real job. Working the real job on a Sunday is time and a half, but working the gun store is just fun.

1/8th the cash, but enjoyable. You don't do it for the money.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Selling guns is just fun as a part time job. It's not lucrative, as I make way more in my real job. Working the real job on a Sunday is time and a half, but working the gun store is just fun.

1/8th the cash, but enjoyable. You don't do it for the money.

This! I do it part time as I am retired and it gives me something to do a few days a week and I also enjoy talking to like minded folks. I sure don't do it for the money, as you are better off working at Wal-Mart if doing it for the cash.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have worked part-time in a gun shop, for free!
    Volunteered for the punishment...

To work in a gun shop you need but one qualification, and that is a good mantra.
    Try, "I don't want to make any money folks, I just LOVE to sell guns"!

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    As others have said, you don't do it for the money. Its a fun part time gig. There are perks that aren't monetary depending where you work. Lots of cool experiences along with meeting people you wouldn't have otherwise. Sometimes these connections lead to opportunities. At the end of the day your going to make a little cash and have a fun hobby. But be ready to deal with some truly stupid people. Have zero expectations of anyone

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As others have said, you don't do it for the money. Its a fun part time gig. There are perks that aren't monetary depending where you work. Lots of cool experiences along with meeting people you wouldn't have otherwise. Sometimes these connections lead to opportunities. At the end of the day your going to make a little cash and have a fun hobby. But be ready to deal with some truly stupid people. Have zero expectations of anyone

I worked in a call center for 6.5 years doing tech support.
    I'm well versed in dealing with the profoundly stupid.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've learned from buying something I'm interested in. The information seems to stick when I have some skin in the game. Working at a gun store does sound interesting.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    30.06 is 7.62 x 63, we used to cut the cases down to use for 8 x 57. Surprised they could even close the bolt/chamber the round

Actually I said that backwards. The 98 had been rebarreled. The goofy guy behind the counter gave the shooter 8x57's because it was a 98. The .32 diameter bullets sized right down while passing through the .30 caliber barrel. Just yet another good reason why factory 8x57's are loaded way way down. I took the fired cases back into the store and advised them to exercise caution in selling cartridges to the range customers.
    I wondered if the shooter had any idea what was happening then he touched that baby off. Probably figured his 98 wouldn't hit a barn.

About sizing down 06's, I do that to have my loads identified to piece, 1888 versus '98. Just another level of comfort for when I squeeze the trigger.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    But about gun store behind the counter guys, there's good ones and bad ones and even the good ones have bad days putting up with the public.
    As a teenager I couldn't decide whether to pursue a career in concrete, asphalt or hamburgers. At least while stripping forms or shoveling hot mix I didn't have to put up with working the counter!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually I said that backwards. The 98 had been rebarreled. The goofy guy behind the counter gave the shooter 8x57's because it was a 98. The .32 diameter bullets sized right down while passing through the .30 caliber barrel. Just yet another good reason why factory 8x57's are loaded way way down. I took the fired cases back into the store and advised them to exercise caution in selling cartridges to the range customers.
    I wondered if the shooter had any idea what was happening then he touched that baby off. Probably figured his 98 wouldn't hit a barn.

About sizing down 06's, I do that to have my loads identified to piece, 1888 versus '98. Just another level of comfort for when I squeeze the trigger.

So the guy that owned the rifle didn't even know what caliber it was? Sounds like there was major fail on both sides of the counter...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    here's my advice
    dont make it your primary job
    dont expect to get rich
    don't expect to get great prices on stuff
    do expect to be treated like you're stupid
    do expect to meet stupid people
    do expext to have a gun pointed at you (a lot!)
    do expect bullets to come out of empty guns
    do expect to eat cold food
    do expect to want to put your head in a oven
    and do expect to make friends/enemy's !

ive worked part time in a shop for over 10 years (only on Saturdays!) and I do it because I enjoy it, im a "contract employee" (I get paid cash under the table), and I don't make a fortune doing it, ive known the owner for over 30 years (I bought many a gun from him before I started working there), and he knows I don't have to work there, ive taken days off from my main job to work at the gun shop, and as others have said, most employees are known to the owner, if you want to work in a lgs, have a good relationship with the owner. you need thick skin to work in a shop, ive been called stupid, ive had loaded guns pointed at me(I can tell you that a 158 grain semi jacket hollow point in a rossi 357 magnum looks like a howitzer shell when you have one pointed at you!), I have people who will only talk to the owner, ive taken I don't know how many bullets from "empty" guns and handed them back to the owner, the only time I eat hot food is when I go out to eat, and I cant say how many times ive thought to myself "you dumbass you don't need a gun!".

BUT, ive made lots of friends! ive got customers who will come in on staurdays and deal with me only! (I know lots that's say if you stop working there, i'll stop coming in!), ive seen some awesome guns! (a numbers matching p38 with 2 matching mags, and a home made holster made by their dad after he brought it home from ww2, a german drilling, with a matching leather case and a matching case for the detachable scope!, it was a work of art!)

and my last and best piece of advice, when you wake up and say to yourself "i HAVE to go to work" walk away, as long as you wake up and say "i GET to go to work" keep working there, remember your working in your hobby, as long as you enjoy it do it!,

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    So the guy that owned the rifle didn't even know what caliber it was? Sounds like there was major fail on both sides of the counter...

I figgered somebody obtained a 98 and went to go shoot it, the guy behind the counter assumed it was a 8mm and sold the guy the ammo.
    Never really thought about it from the stand point that maybe the proud new owner thought he had a 8mm. That certainly is possible too!

Post thoughts...
    That has been thirty years ago. What if it was rechambered to 8-06; that could explain the strange looking fired case configuration better than it being a 30-06 with a 8mm stuck in it. Could make more sense all around.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom