• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I am glad your service was excellent there, but I can assure you that many people I know (especially as of the last year or so) have not had the same level of customer service. I went there a few months ago in search of a Ruger Mini 14. Reply was, "We don't sell those. Why the hell would you want one anyhow?" Then, I was steered towards an M&P 15 Sport, "Ahh, but we don't have one here to sell you..." all while quoting a price and telling me that I need a $200 scope. Can I put a deposit down? "Nope, we don't do that....just call in from time to time to see if we have one."

So, I told them what I wanted, they didn't have it, told me I was wrong for wanting it, steered me toward another gun that they didn't have in stock, had no idea when more would arrive, and wouldn't let me put a deposit down on one. Is that good customer service?

I drove over to Bradis, and bought one after comparing the two guns and deciding what I wanted, while being told "You really don't need to spend money on a scope until you spend some time with it and decide if you really need to spend that money." Wait, they had it on hand, told me NOT to spend money on something until I was sure I needed it, and didn't push anything at me, but rather let me know the similarities, the difference, etc. NOW THAT IS GOOD SERVICE.:rockwoot:And they support INGO! :ingo:

And, I've had several friends who have sworn off PSS for the "variable pricing" the owner seems to show to different customers. I won't go into further details, but if someone treated me like two of my LEO friends were treated in there by the owner, I would never return to that store. And, I likely never will.

One other point on PSS: notice they aren't a site supporter. I'll shop places where they support this fine forum. Without them, this place doesn't exist. PSS has taken zero interest in this place. :dunno:

:yesway::yesway: I dealt with the owner of PSS when he was selling guns out of his house in Clayton, IN and I don't get where everyone sings his praises. I have been PSS several times and it has never been that "good experience" that lots of people seem to rave about. I can also find the same guns cheaper at some other stores.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought my 1911 from PSS. He gave me a fair deal, but he could have gained me as a customer if he would have put forth just a little effort.

I will probably check a price with him from time to time, if I think about it, but I have had much better dealings with Bradis.

I am trying to see if I can build my AR with purchases from Bradis. The only thing that may prevent this is because I live in Lafayette and it will cost me $20 in gas to drive there and back. I had to pass on the WMD BCG because of this.

But if they have some sales with discounts a little deeper, I'm there!:)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    :yesway::yesway: I dealt with the owner of PSS when he was selling guns out of his house in Clayton, IN and I don't get where everyone sings his praises. I have been PSS several times and it has never been that "good experience" that lots of people seem to rave about. I can also find the same guns cheaper at some other stores.
    I'd like to know where. I visit all the LGS once a week typically and the only place that beats his price is in Mooresville, but has very limited selection. Everyone else is consistently higher. Although, other good shops will compete in prices of stocked items such as Bradis. :dunno:

EDIT: Previously posted information was innacurate (model was slightly different). Thanks to Shooter521 for clarification.

Last edited:

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Don't assume someone can't afford something based off of there looks.

Had this happen to me at the verizon store in greenwood off 31. Walked in covered head to toe in mud, grease and oil looking for a new phone. I had a grand in my pocket for it and possibly a tablet. I asked about a Razr Maxx and the lady said we don't have any in stock but lets check something more in your price range as she walked to the 99 doller counter. After I told her off I went and bought the phone I wanted at the Verizon store on 37 and Southport.

Another thing I learned working at the gun store, don't hover, if someone says I am just looking right now, say OK, my name is Chris, let me know if you find something that you would like to see. I then walk away, some customers like to look then ask questions, not be coddled the whole way through the process. Sometimes customers also just want to ask questions and talk, I will stand there for an hour just talking to someone if we are not busy, you never know, that person you were just shooting the breeze with may decide to buy three tommy guns from you later that day.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If the comments in this thread truly represent the clerks(and their attitudes) where you shop, it's time to change stores.

I'd likely get fired for most of that crap.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Years ago I bought an old Harley sportster. Had it a month and lost the gas cap on a side road.
    Found a gas cap off a car that fit, and rode to the local Harley dealer to buy the right replacement.
    The salesmen preceded to tell me that a new law made it illegal to sell me a cap....I would have to
    buy an new EPA approved tank which he would need to paint to match my bike.
    I can't imagine that I ever looked THAT stupid. I drove an hour out of the way and bought a gas
    cap from another dealer. Years later I returned to buy a full dress bike from the second dealer
    that didn't try to sell me a load of bull.
    Not trying to hijack a thread just illustrate a point. By trying to rape me on a small sale
    the first Guy lost a sale worth 15,000....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just act like the fellas at Plainfeild shooters supply and you will be good to go. I just picked up a Kahr cm9 from them this morning (3rd pistol I've bought from them since moving to indy). Great staff, the salesman didn't say anything stupid (like many gun store employees are apt to do), also gave me a deal on a spare mag. I will be buying all my weaponry from them until I leave Indy. I have also had good service from them even when the store is busy which is pretty rare for most LGS's

Go right back out the door. I have had nothing but sub-par customer service from them. If you can call being completely ignored customer service. Every. Farking. Time I've walked through the door, they have refused to acknowledge my presence (I usually accompany Mr88GT), even though I'm practically hanging over the counter to get a better look at a rifle. And the attitude upon being questioned (by Mr88GT) with the "Do you carry...." is one of "Why the hell are you bothering me?"

It's abundantly obvious that the behind-the-counter staff are friendly enough with those deemed worthy of their time and attention. But woe to the customer who hasn't been initiated in to the clique.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Had this happen to me at the verizon store in greenwood off 31. Walked in covered head to toe in mud, grease and oil looking for a new phone. I had a grand in my pocket for it and possibly a tablet. I asked about a Razr Maxx and the lady said we don't have any in stock but lets check something more in your price range as she walked to the 99 doller counter. After I told her off I went and bought the phone I wanted at the Verizon store on 37 and Southport.

Another thing I learned working at the gun store, don't hover, if someone says I am just looking right now, say OK, my name is Chris, let me know if you find something that you would like to see. I then walk away, some customers like to look then ask questions, not be coddled the whole way through the process. Sometimes customers also just want to ask questions and talk, I will stand there for an hour just talking to someone if we are not busy, you never know, that person you were just shooting the breeze with may decide to buy three tommy guns from you later that day.

I can't stand that store either. The sales staff are horrible IMHO. My wife on the other hand loves it. She can walk out of there with a new phone plus all the accessories usually for free.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    In HH Gregg here in Evansville a while back. Just killing time walking down the row of TV's. I just happened to be looking at a 65" Plasma mounted on their wall when a sales droid walked up. He starts spouting off BS info about plasmas that I hadn't asked for.
    But during his spouting, he makes the comment "You know that TV can't be mounted on a wall". As I look at the TV mounted on the wall. So I play along, "Well do tell why is that?" "Because it weights too much". I knew what it weighted, I says "so you don't think that a typical constructed wall can support a 110lb Tv" His reply "Nope, too dangerous". I turn around and look at the wall mount bracket they have for sale for wall mounting 65" tvs and say "Why do you sell these?". Blank stare, muttered something and walked off.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    HH Gregg salesmen must make a ton. The last time I was in there the salesman seemed to have one of everything in the store. Bose speaker, outdoor speakers, oven, 82 plasma, car stereos it didn't matter he owned or did before he upgraded to something better. I spent about an hour and a half letting this guy ramble before making my purchase.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    After reading threads of recent gun store clerks telling Johnny Public how to behave. I thought I would start my own thread for the clerks who treat there customers poorly.

1. Loose your Superior Attitude (selling guns isn't a skilled trade your last job could have been McDonald's)

2. Greet your customers with a smile when they enter the store.

3. If your ex military thanks for your service but dont bark at customers like your still in the service. If this happens I will ignore you and I will waste your time looking at several guns only to leave you with no sale.

4. If your store is busy stop standing around telling stories and start helping the customers.

Fellow INGO members please keep the list going with your dislikes from previous experiences.

Somebody must have been thinking about Pop Guns....

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Somebody must have been thinking about Pop Guns....

It was just a mockery of the threads created by the gun store clerks here recently. But since you brought them up. Pop Guns is always consistent when I go there. Consistently poor service. If you have self esteem issue I would strongly urge you to stay away. However if you like to be barked at, made to feel like an idiot and given half ace responses when you are asking about a product. Then this is your store.:):

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I was in Bradis right after they opened Saturday morning. I'm not in there enough to know the folks by name, but I overheard one of the younger gentleman assisting a lady that was totally in the dark about handguns, but was interested in buying one. I listened to him give, in my opinion, excellent advice about the different types of handguns, the calibers they come in, and the education and training she should look into before making her purchase. I think he even told her that she shouldn't purchase a gun until she felt like she was completely ready. Bottom line, it was incredibly refreshing to see that level of customer service being given out.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Those HH Greg guys...ugh. One of them tried to sell me a "green" surge protector for something ridiculous like 60 bucks one time. It was going to save the world somehow...I can't really remember. I never went back.

I generally do a lot of research beforehand because I've learned never to rely on salespeople for my information (no offense, just my personal experience). I pretty much never walk into a store without already having a good idea of what I want. Helps cut back on the lies they try to feed me or the specs they want to rattle off that I could care less about (world saving surge protector). Every significant purchase I've made came after doing my own research and THEN finding a reputable dealer to go through.

That doesn't mean I want to be completely ignored, though. A friendly greeting and 'do you have any questions' goes a long way...is it REALLY that hard? Is your life so terrible? I went to a cutlery store once (I'd like to collect some medieval weaponry someday) and the owner sat in the corner and jaw-jacked with his buddy the entire time I was there. I really liked some of his stuff but I was so put off by that, I never went back.

Conversely it's just as bad when they latch on to you. I'm not carrying a cross around saying it's worse for a woman, but it's nauseating sometimes. You go to a clothing store and they want to put your name on a board. Get away from me, harpy! I'll see you at the checkout desk. You walk through the mall (if you dare) - never make eye contact with those kiosk people or you're doomed.

I do feel for honest sales people though. I don't know how they do it. And I'm sure it's difficult to know what kind of person you're dealing with unless you've dealt with them before. There's a fine line between being informative and just sounding condescending. Insulting my intelligence is the fastest way to lose my business.

I would, however, like to build up a relationship with a local firearms dealer. After I do my research. Which is how I ended up here in the first place. :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I overheard one of the younger gentleman assisting a lady that was totally in the dark about handguns, but was interested in buying one. I listened to him give, in my opinion, excellent advice about the different types of handguns, the calibers they come in, and the education and training she should look into before making her purchase. I think he even told her that she shouldn't purchase a gun until she felt like she was completely ready.

1) https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rs_men_buying_guns_for_women.html#post3270475 :whistle:

2) Thanks for calling me "young". ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I definitely agree with this. Acknowledge me and then leave me alone and let me look or engage me in conversation. Just don't stand there and look at me. Some clerks make me uncomfortable or almost rush me. I like to look at my own pace.

When I look at guns I do a mental recital of what I know about each one to decide if I want to handle particular ones. So essentially I am in my own little world while I admire the guns. I'll let you know if I want to touch any of them.

I like the sociable shops that engage me in conversation even though I don't buy anything that day. I will be more inclined to buy from you if you have something I like the next time I come in if you have always been welcoming and friendly towards me.

It's kind of like at the gun shows, there are a couple dealers that talk to me at every show. Whether I am at their table or not they always strike up a conversation with me. I have purchased two guns from one of them and one gun and several holsters from the other.

It's really all about selection, pricing and customer service.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Don't assume someone can't afford something based off of there looks.

Can't agree more. I own a garage door company and some times I have to go out in the field and get very dirty. These also tend to be the days that I have the most times to go into the local gun shops. I have been a great customer to the shops that treated me well no matter what I look like. It's funny when I go in all cleaned up all the shops want to talk to me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd like to add: If you don't want to work in a gun shop, then don't work in a gun shop. There is a shop on the southside of Indy that employs a lot of off-duty cops who seem to only be there to shoot the breeze with on-duty cops that stop by to BS. The can act downright surly if asked to actually help someone that is not in uniform. I am amazed at how poor service they can stoop to right along side others that seem to bend over backwards to help. I really don't know why they are there. They sure don't act like they have any desire to sell guns to non-police folks.

Top Bottom