• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I feel this to be a noob question, but I want to know so I am no longer a noob!
    I have made numerous mistakes unententionally, and I am working to be very careful in the future.
    Recently I was in a gun store, and the person behind the counter, handed me a pistol with the muzzle pointing toward himself. He had safety checked it first. I suppose that is more courteous than pointing at me, but is that the right way to do that?
    When I handed it back to him, I handed it to him pointing to my right vs. at either one of us. Is that right?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Firearms are always loaded and don't point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to destroy.

While they shouldn't, a person I guess that their own discretion may or may not point at gun at themselves (I'll leave that argument for each individual to argue out within themselves), which they shouldn't, but you or any person for that matter should never point a firearm at another person.

Muzzle sweeps in gun shops are very tough issue. You have many people and many many firearms moving about and changing hands in a small space. Just remember the firearms safety rules and try your best to follow them.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well yes sort of. In a gun store it is often impossible to not point the muzzle somewhere near an individual. Every effort needs to be made to avoid "sweeping" anyone else including yourself. Safety check by the one handing you the weapon is step one. I always re-check myself before I handle the firearm keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction whether that is the floor, up, or away from anyone else visible. Never point a weapon at something you do not wish to destroy is a hard and fast rule.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    i work in a gun store and that is how I give handguns to customers. My momma taught me to always hand over a firearm that way, if I did something stupid, I get to eat a bullet.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think your momma taught you wrong. never point the gun at something that you wouldn't want to get shot. unless you want to get shot, don't point it at yourself.

when I'm at a shop, I always hand it back -- after a safety check -- with my hand on the muzzle, pointing down, offering them the grip.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I think the OP is a good question, I have wondered that myself a bit. I'm always afraid of handling something and getting chewed out for sweeping when I thought I was doing it right. Thanks for asking that question

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    In a gun store, i always point the pistol toward the ground when handing it back. Usually that means its pointed at the display case but better than a person i figure.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I think your momma taught you wrong. never point the gun at something that you wouldn't want to get shot. unless you want to get shot, don't point it at yourself.

when I'm at a shop, I always hand it back -- after a safety check -- with my hand on the muzzle, pointing down, offering them the grip.
    Well that is your opionion***,
    The logic is if I neglect to clear the firearm and something goes wrong I should pay for my mistake.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll clear it myself once its handed to me, then I'll keep it pointed at the floor. When I hand it back I will present the grip to the employee with the muzzle still turned down.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I was always told to hold it bt the barrel with your finger in the trigger guard so when the person grabbed it they couldnt pull the trigger. that was my dad talking about handing a loaded weapon to someone else to shoot.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was always told to hold it bt the barrel with your finger in the trigger guard so when the person grabbed it they couldnt pull the trigger. that was my dad talking about handing a loaded weapon to someone else to shoot.

That sounds risky IMO. I wouldn't have my finger anywhere NEAR the trigger or trigger guard. Plus that move sounds impossible with a 1911-style trigger. If you did that with a Glock you could potentially deactivate the trigger safety bar.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    well it was back when we were little and we were only shooting bb guns and .22 rifles. if you hand it to someone that way neither one of you would be in front of the barrel and having your finger in the guard but NOT against the trigger prevented a bystander from getting shot. of course now i dont hand anyone a loaded weapon. i empy it and let them reload it even if i have to tell them how.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I always cover the trigger guard with my hand, but with no fingers in the trigger guard. I actually hold it that way. THAT will prevent the other guy from getting on the trigger when he grasps the gun. I keep it in a safe direction the best I can, and hand it in such a way that it's easy for the other guy to get a good hold on it, so he won't drop it.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I feel this to be a noob question, but I want to know so I am no longer a noob!
    I have made numerous mistakes unententionally, and I am working to be very careful in the future.
    Recently I was in a gun store, and the person behind the counter, handed me a pistol with the muzzle pointing toward himself. He had safety checked it first. I suppose that is more courteous than pointing at me, but is that the right way to do that?
    When I handed it back to him, I handed it to him pointing to my right vs. at either one of us. Is that right?

the gun shop I frequent always has ECI inserted (empty chamber indicators). But they, and I, make it a habit to not sweep the room, or to point the gun at anyone.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I always cover the trigger guard with my hand, but with no fingers in the trigger guard. I actually hold it that way. THAT will prevent the other guy from getting on the trigger when he grasps the gun. I keep it in a safe direction the best I can, and hand it in such a way that it's easy for the other guy to get a good hold on it, so he won't drop it.

This sounds very reasonable. :yesway:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll clear it myself once its handed to me, then I'll keep it pointed at the floor. When I hand it back I will present the grip to the employee with the muzzle still turned down.
    This is what I do, with the addition of handing it over with the action open if possible.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was at a shop looking at 1911's the other day, I asked the fella behind the counter to let me look at one, he took it out of the counter, pulled the slide back to check for a round i it, he grasped the muzzle holding the muzzle to the ground and handed me the grip portion of the pistol. i also did the same by holding the gun in a 90* angle to the floor with the muzzle pointed to the floor with my hand wraped around the body of the gun so as my hand covered the trigger housing and the grip was pointed tword him handed it back to him so he could just grab the grip of the pistol( thats how dad taught me to do it years ago) and a rifle I try to keep it pointed to the floor best I can, and I always hand it back with the bolt in the open position. As far as my concern every gun is loaded

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI

this would be the correct way to do it. remember the 4 rules and follow them like the 10 commandments. its the only way to make sure you dont accidentally do something you didnt intend for. im always amazed how the guys behind the counter at cabelas deal with customers. i pay attention to what others are doing so that im outta the way of people who are looking at guns and muzzling everyone there.

Top Bottom