• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I hand firearms to my customers with the action locked open and "TRY" not to point the muzzle toward anyone. With a full house it get's tricky, I agree. Pointing at the ground as suggested above works well. When I'm at a gun shop I always give the gun back with the action open and TRY not to point it at anyone. Do the best you can NOT to point the gun at yourself or anyone else. (Including your feet if pointing at the ground!) Ever been to a gun show? Good luck!

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Was anyone here at the summer 1500 when the pistol was discharged in the building? I was. :rolleyes: My understanding is the vendor handed a pistol that he THOUGHT was unloaded to a customer, BANG!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This is why I don't like gun shops.

All guns are loaded right? And there is always a gun pointed at you when you walk in. Whoever touched the gun that is pointed at you last must have the intent to destroy you, as per the "gun laws."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you must handle firearms, then:

Handguns point down, long guns point up.

Remember the Four Rules as they are life and they apply, even in the gun store.

Do not turn around with it. Do not wave it around.

When you hand it back, hand it back with the action open.

Get a blue gun(s) (which you should have anyway) and practice handling the weapon back and forth with your roomie or the wife.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Was anyone here at the summer 1500 when the pistol was discharged in the building? I was. :rolleyes: My understanding is the vendor handed a pistol that he THOUGHT was unloaded to a customer, BANG!

the vendor was disassembling a glock, had a round in the chamber and boom into his own hand.
    yes I was there, I am always there and now have even more of a headache as a vendor because the guy didn't follow the rules

I hand the weapon butt first, muzzle down.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The four rules never change. The FOUR RULES NEVER CHANGE.

THE FOUR RULES NEVER CHANGE.

If you're looking for times when it's OK to point a firearm at someone, then you're introducing doubt. If the four rules are ALWAYS in play, then there's never any doubt, you don't have to override muscle memory, and you'll always be safe. It doesn't matter if you're in a gun shop, on the range, or in a self-defense situation. THE FOUR RULES NEVER CHANGE.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The FOUR RULES NEVER CHANGE.

Dear Scutter,

I'm a super cool tactical dude and when not off being tactical and stuff I like to go into gun shops and finger all kinds of guns because I know that the staff really likes screwing with my confused behind.

My question: do the Four Rules apply to a gun shop. I mean, I'm all tactical and stuff, surely I am above them.

/s/

Lost in Lafayette

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I find myself moving out of the way a lot in gun shops to avoid constantly being swept.

Not a big fan of having guns pointed at me. I've asked people to not point them at me while in gun stores before and been told, "It's not loaded man..." I think this is a pretty dangerous mindset for people to have.

I always handle the weapon with the muzzle towards the floor and then hand it back with the action open, grip towards them.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have personally only encountered one gun shop employee in Fort Wayne who did not verify a gun was empty before handing to me (on multiple guns), this made me slightly disturbed due to a lack of industry professionalism in my opinion. The other thing that bothers me are the general public at gun shows that handle or carry long guns and constantly sweep people with them, seriously carry them pointed towards the ground or ceiling--not horizontal at other people.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

If you're looking for times when it's OK to point a firearm at someone, then you're introducing doubt. If the four rules are ALWAYS in play, then there's never any doubt, you don't have to override muscle memory, and you'll always be safe. It doesn't matter if you're in a gun shop, on the range, or in a self-defense situation. THE FOUR RULES NEVER CHANGE.

Sticky!

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    i work in a gun store and that is how I give handguns to customers. My momma taught me to always hand over a firearm that way, if I did something stupid, I get to eat a bullet.

images

I have to STRONGLY disagree with you here. Keep the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction. Aimed at your belly is not safe!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I feel this to be a noob question, but I want to know so I am no longer a noob!
    I have made numerous mistakes unententionally, and I am working to be very careful in the future.
    Recently I was in a gun store, and the person behind the counter, handed me a pistol with the muzzle pointing toward himself. He had safety checked it first. I suppose that is more courteous than pointing at me, but is that the right way to do that?
    When I handed it back to him, I handed it to him pointing to my right vs. at either one of us. Is that right?

At the old Stewart's shop in Bloomington, Joanne, the proprietress always firmly upbraided anyone who pointed a gun in any direction but down.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011

But....Do the four rules ever change?

Top Bottom