• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    A relative asked me if it was a "good deal" to buy a S@W 9mm with serial # removed for $50. Sounds like a one way ticket to the big house to me! But really, I don't know what the law says- anybody?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Really bad idea

IC 35-47-2-18
    Obliterating identification marks on handgun or possession of such handguns prohibited
    Sec. 18. No person shall:
    (1) change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on any handgun; or
    (2) possess any handgun on which the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification has been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated;
    except as provided by applicable United States statute.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    IC 35-47-2-18
    Obliterating identification marks on handgun or possession of such handguns prohibited
    Sec. 18. No person shall:
    (1) change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on any handgun; or
    (2) possess any handgun on which the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification has been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated;
    except as provided by applicable United States statute.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-2-23
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony.
    It seems like a good deal to me, if they want a felony.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    So how many of you would call the local ATF and help them set up a sting on the seller? Helping get a gun (and a person) off the street that is most likely to hurt the PR of the gun community, not to mention actually, you know, killing an innocent, seems like a good idea to me.

[on reflection, I'd probably call the local police in case it is an ATF sting. Let the two of them battle it out when it's over. Maybe get a ATF agent put in jail for a couple of hours, eh.]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Depends on the seller. Someone that just didn't know any better? I'd tell them to find a gun buy-back event.

Someone shady? Either call the non-emergency #, or just pass the info to one of my cop friends.

Top Bottom