• ...and so much more!
  • revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    What if it were your gun

I would try to get info to someone in law enforcement through Crime Stoppers or something.
    It is a long shot but the gun may find it's owner .
    More importantly it may lead to the thief.:twocents:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Id walk away from that deal... Never thought to check for serial numbers when doing private transactions, but I think its now my new policy.

And yeah, if its known beforehand call the cops. If its an unpleasant surprise at the meet walk away THEN call the cops. Either way tell someone in law enforcement!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Okay, so you're out $800 for your new whatever because some mope stole the gun and dremeled over the serial number. Once the gun is recovered is there any way to get a number restored so that a perfectly good gun that is legally yours doesn't get destroyed.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Okay, so you're out $800 for your new whatever because some mope stole the gun and dremeled over the serial number. Once the gun is recovered is there any way to get a number restored so that a perfectly good gun that is legally yours doesn't get destroyed.

Any CSI Show could do it. They could even tell what the original owner had for breakfast 3 years ago on any given tuesday.

I'd tell the police about and let them handle it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Any CSI Show could do it. They could even tell what the original owner had for breakfast 3 years ago on any given tuesday.

I'd tell the police about and let them handle it.

db.. I wasn't posting about the guy who bought the gun knowing it was defaced... I am speaking of the original owner who had the gun stolen from him and then defaced. Why should he lose the gun because of the actions of a criminal.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    db.. I wasn't posting about the guy who bought the gun knowing it was defaced... I am speaking of the original owner who had the gun stolen from him and then defaced. Why should he lose the gun because of the actions of a criminal.

The government would not return any property that is illegal to own as far as I know. But that is just my :twocents:

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    If I altered mine by putting white nail polish on the lettering.....(considering the statute listed in this thread) I am in violation then???

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The government would not return any property that is illegal to own as far as I know. But that is just my :twocents:

Yes... but is there any way to make it "legal" again? The only thing wrong is a missing serial number, right? They can put serial numbers on with the right tool as easy as I can write with a sharpie.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So how many of you would call the local ATF and help them set up a sting on the seller? Helping get a gun (and a person) off the street that is most likely to hurt the PR of the gun community, not to mention actually, you know, killing an innocent, seems like a good idea to me.
    I would not notify the ATF at all...
    Not even if it was Victor Bout selling a boatload of Weapons...
    [on reflection, I'd probably call the local police in case it is an ATF sting. Let the two of them battle it out when it's over. Maybe get a ATF agent put in jail for a couple of hours, eh.]
    I would call my local Sheriff though... ;)

Top Bottom