• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I want to build some way to more effectively store my guns in my home, and as many of you know I need to save money for my wedding. This means I need a cheap solution, that doesnt look half bad, to store my guns on my wall.

I was thinking making one part of my bedroom pegboard, but would still like to go cheaper.

What have you guys done before?

And i fully expect to be made fun of for being so cheap, so make fun of me AFTER saying something constructive.

:popcorn:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How many guns are you talking about?

The problem with your idea is security, what if someone breaks in when you're away?

I had the same idea of having a gun room once, but I think I need a room that is poured concrete all the way around, with a vault door.

I can't afford something like that, so I bought a gun safe, suggest you do the same.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Not many, half dozen. I am not so worried about burglaries where I am, if I am not here close friends and landlord keep an eye on the place, and renters insurance covers me either way. Gun safe will be happening, post wedding, maybe with wedding money if I can convince my old lady.

wilianknow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is a cheap easy and secure way to keep your guns. Cut out the dry wall and build a small standing gun rack can hold 4-6 long guns. Trim it out. Then install a full length mirror on a hing to cover the hole.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Here is a cheap easy and secure way to keep your guns. Cut out the dry wall and build a small standing gun rack can hold 4-6 long guns. Trim it out. Then install a full length mirror on a hing to cover the hole.

I rather like that idea. Security through obscurity.

Personally, I have a 3 gun rack from Menards that cost about $10. I wouldn't recommend it though, as you have to store the gun upside down. :( The rest are strategically leaned on walls throughout. Too broke to buy a safe.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You mention your renters insurance covers you. I would verify the amount, I though our renters coverage would cover all my guns, but it turns out our policy tops off at 2,000 bucks on firearms (they categorize, and the firearms 'category" tops out at 2k). Beyond that I need to get special coverage. Since I don't have a lot of firearms in the house at the moment, this coverage is fine for me.

To answer your questions (as someone else mentioned earlier) I would consider a safe. If you do go with a gun wall, I would love to see what it looks like. Safety and dust would be my concerns for an "open" display. You could even find an older gun "safe/case" that has a glass front, so they are still on display.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I want to build some way to more effectively store my guns in my home, and as many of you know I need to save money for my wedding. This means I need a cheap solution, that doesnt look half bad, to store my guns on my wall.

I was thinking making one part of my bedroom pegboard, but would still like to go cheaper.

What have you guys done before?

And i fully expect to be made fun of for being so cheap, so make fun of me AFTER saying something constructive.

:popcorn:

I would suggest utilizing a closet wall, they wouldn't be in plain sight at least. you could even go so far as building some form of false wall to obscure them even further. Not sure how far your landlord is willing to let you go on the construction or demolition of their walls though.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    This is what I used for my airsoft collection. It was very cheap to build.

picture.php

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Insurance covers them, not many guns.
    I can construct all I want, just has to be no big holes when I move out.
    Safe out of budget for now, same with cabinet.
    I would like to display in open but pegboard wall in closet makes sense, kind of hidden and still look cool.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Which gun are you marrying or are you one of those polygamous gun grooms?:laugh:

Seriously though, I don't have any ideas but I wanted to say congrats on your upcoming wedding and hope you and the misses have lots of healthy and, no doubt, adorable little gun owners!!!:rockwoot:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    You can get a cheap gunsafe from Gander, I had a stack-on 8 gun box when I was poorer. It'll hold 8 long guns, and has a shelf for a few handguns or ammo, etc. 3 point lock. It's not fireproof, and if someone were motivated, they could get it open with a pry bar, but it's better than hanging em on the wall. I think it cost about $100

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you have seen the movie "Tremors" then you already know the wall I think you should build. Otherwise, just go buy the cheapest little tin can safe that you can get your hands on. If the safe isn't some super heavy beast of a safe then it's more than likely just a joke for security anyway. Also, I agree that this kind of behavior is only tolerated during the engagement. Once the honeymoon is over......... lol.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Insurance covers them, not many guns.

While your insurance may cover them, I would not sleep well at night knowing that my firearms could be in the hands of criminals. I have had a handgun stolen out of my car (which was in my garage). Its not a pleasant feeling. Who is to say they won't come back and rob you with your own guns? Take your security seriously, both your firearms and otherwise. I wish I had.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I talked to the guy at ace hardware when they happened to be tearing down old displays, they sold squares of pegboard to me at $5 a pop. Bought the hardware there too, the whole setup cost me $20.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I talked to the guy at ace hardware when they happened to be tearing down old displays, they sold squares of pegboard to me at $5 a pop. Bought the hardware there too, the whole setup cost me $20.

Well I hope I get that lucky, there is a guy selling some on the other side of indy from me for $5 a sheet. It may be cheaper just to go to home depot at that point.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    OK, with cheap as the theme: Wood from pallets discarded by a factory or store or even left overs from a housing or construction site. I liked the closet idea so - attach the wood (I recommend sanding and sealing it first), attach to the wall inside the closet, put long screws into the wood and hang you guns from the screws. I would dip the screws into a liquid plastic or rubber compound that sets up as a solid to avoid scratching the weapons.

However, the peg board is a much better idea if you can afford it!

Top Bottom