• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    ok... the "reserve" thing. If a gun has no reserve, can I offer anything at all? Say, if I bid $100 on a $700 "buy it now" would the seller be obligated to sell it at $100? If so, what nutjob would do a "no reserve"?!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    ok... the "reserve" thing. If a gun has no reserve, can I offer anything at all? Say, if I bid $100 on a $700 "buy it now" would the seller be obligated to sell it at $100? If so, what nutjob would do a "no reserve"?!
    There is no way to do that! If you bid $100 on an item that is worth $700 you will be outbid every single time. Buy it now is a separate deal where you can end the auction early by paying the sellers asking price.

I my opinion the best auctions are the ones that start at $1 have no reserve and have a "buy it now price". This way you can bid any amount you wish, but you have an idea how much the seller thinks it's worth.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City

The seller should start the auction at the lowest price that he/she would be willing to sell it for.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Buying small stuff (cheap) is one thing, but Im just too scared Ill get burned on a big ticket item. I prefer FTF.
    FTF has its own problems. Okay, just got an SKS receiver cover on GB, not too bad a price although not exactly what I wanted.

These online auctions have a tendency to get WAY out of hand. I don't know if there are ringers on some auctions, driving the prices up, or what. But some items just go sky high, beyond what a rational person would pay.

I guess I'm lumping eBay and GB together. Same issues.

Have not found that bargain yet...

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The seller should start the auction at the lowest price that he/she would be willing to sell it for.
    Technically speaking if you start it at $1 you are obligated to sell it for whatever it goes for over $1.Truth is I don't care what price the seller starts any item at. If he starts it for more than I am willing to pay, I just won't bid. Truth is the way i search, if they start an item higher than I am willing to consider, I will never even see the item listed.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bought a few guns through gunbroker, only got ripped off once, and thankfully that was only on some magazines.

Wasn't that much money ($45.00), but gunbroker basically told me to go pound sand. This guy in Chandler, AZ had a good feedback rating, but he decided to go out with a BANG. They told me, he wouldn't answer their emails either, so they had suspended his account, and my only recourse was through local small claims court. Yea right for 45 bucks.

I was lucky, he got a couple of people for big money. Now, I only buy from Indiana sellers or not through gunbroker at all.

I fully understand any auction site, classifieds or Gunbroker is a risk, especially when buying something from a long distance.

But keep in mind, don't count on the gunbroker site for any help if you do get ripped.

The two points in bold above are what keep me off of gunbroker.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    What am I doing?

I may convince someone to try GunBroker and that person may over bid me and buy something I have been searching for years to find.

All the negative people are correct, stay away from GunBroker. :):

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just won an auction for a Rossi R461 yesterday. Between shipping and transfer fees I will be out about $230. Not a steal, but certainly a fair price. I did have to watch and wait for a while to get what I wanted though.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    All the negative people are correct, stay away from GunBroker. :):

I am not trying to get people to stay away from Gunbroker.

I am not being negative, just telling what happened to me, for a fact.
    I have actually made several successful purchases from the site, I just want everyone to be aware, that if you do have a problem with a seller, you are on your own.

Gunbroker's communications to me said clearly, your only recourse is through your local small claims court, and, "good luck!"

So before you bid on that gun or accessory just remember, if the deal goes bad, you will get a "Good luck" wish from Gunbroker and nothing else.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    ...I just want everyone to be aware, that if you do have a problem with a seller, you are on your own.

Gunbroker's communications to me said clearly, your only recourse is through your local small claims court, and, "good luck!"

So before you bid on that gun or accessory just remember, if the deal goes bad, you will get a "Good luck" wish from Gunbroker and nothing else.
    Duly noted, thanks.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was researching t/c pistols, and found a very nice Contender Katahdin 460 S&W pistol action and barrel. Buy It Now @ $350. I hit it quick, because locally those pieces are asking $750 and up, no stock or grip. I went to my LGS who regularly charges me $25 per transfer. He went off the spool, and told me the Xfer would be $50, because he could have gotten me the same barrel/action through his shop. I still shop there, but do NOT xfer through him. In xfering the barrel, I found a dealer in West Virginia who had all the accessories I needed, dealing outside of GB. We are very close fiends. I have been banned by GB for a misunderstanding over prices and Money Orders, but that is over. GB is very jealous of its customers / dealers. I have bought pistols, AR- types, all sorts of ammo, sights, mounts, etc. Never any large problems. Highly recommend them.

Do I understand this correctly? You use the same ffl for all your transfers, and all of a sudden, he doubles the fee, because you purchased from someone else when he could have sold it to you? ..... And you still shop there???
    Looks like double fail to me! He screwed you, fail #1, you continue to shop there, BIG FAIL #2!!!
    this is not a personal attack on you, but why would you still shop with him after he did that to you?!:dunno:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Do I understand this correctly? You use the same ffl for all your transfers, and all of a sudden, he doubles the fee, because you purchased from someone else when he could have sold it to you? ..... And you still shop there???
    Looks like double fail to me! He screwed you, fail #1, you continue to shop there, BIG FAIL #2!!!
    this is not a personal attack on you, but why would you still shop with him after he did that to you?!:dunno:
    Agree with this. Find a new FFL.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Ditto.

Top Bottom