• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Why? I mean I get that it gets contentious and probably causes some heartburn and headaches for the mods, but as someone mentioned upthread, there are lots of forums here that I have never even gone into, because they don't interest me. Like Shooting Sports for instance. I'm not a competitive shooter, so I have no interest in going there. If one is not into discussing politics, then that's cool. Lots of other areas of discussion to take part in. I must be dense or something because I truly don't understand, and I'm not trying to be argumentative. If there are individuals causing the problems in the political threads, then I would think they could be dealt with on an individual basis.
    I meant politics in the general sense. It's a good thing we all are not gathered together like at a family function where fist fights over politics have been known to break out. There is nothing more uncivil than family get togethers sometimes.

Just adding a little perspective here.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    When I frequent the site, I go to "latest posts" first. That tells me what people are conversing about.

How many right answers are there on "how do I XXX?". If someone has given a correct answer (when I know the correct answer), I don't need to post anything. The answer is there. If someone disagrees, I might respond to support the correct answer, but generally don't unless there is a long string of debate on what the correct answer might be.

I don't need to participate in "My Glock/CZ/1911 is the best" threads. You find those useful? Good for you. I don't. Same with "Ammo prices going up." "Where can I buy a cheap AR15?" "Best Bourbon Under $50".

I look at pic threads. I look at gunsmithing. Those only occasionally deserve a response. I look at the music thread and occasionally post.

The thing I do if I don't have an interest in a thread is SKIP OVER IT.

Politics is messy. People disagree. Feelings get hurt. But, mostly, people are there because they enjoy the interaction. No one is likely to change his mind or lifelong outlook on what's right or wrong with this planet. And, although people don't say it very often, there are some very bright people on INGO who, like the blind pig that finds an acorn, occasionally say something that is very profound and worth remembering.

If INGO went in a different direction, perhaps the members would too. I know a very heavily populated gun/competition forum that lost a lot of membership when new moderators came on board and changed the "feel" of the board. It's still going strong, but it isn't the same and the old-timers just moved on.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And I truly believe some folks do the soap box preaching against the conservative side of things just to stir :poop:

You think that, but in reality, what in general society is considered a solid conservative is often painted as moderately left, given the lens of INGO. Some folks align you with ANTIFA if you don't agree that Holcomb is a petty tyrant.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Guns, politics and religion are all connected in one way or another. Our founding fathers saw that and made sure it was presented in our constitution; all quite close together at the top!

So we have a gun forum that also has politics and religion. Discussions, at times, will be ruffled not so much for the content but rather for individuals personalizing their attack /disagreement. I personally have learned allot from the political forum that I would have not elsewhere; just because I did not know where to look or what to look for. Same goes for the COVID room, Christian room..... as well as the gun areas. It would be bored to death if the other areas were removed. It would then, for certain, become a “good ok’ boys” club and I would most likely stop coming.

Remove politics then religion? People leaving because of thin skin, hurt feelings or disagreements? We’re adults.

I think CM does a great job. I understand it and have great respect for CM.

I truly do not understand why one would remove a sub-forum over the complaints of some. Sort of like the cancel culture we see today. A small group of people make enough noise; it’s removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    And I truly believe some folks do the soap box preaching against the conservative side of things just to stir :poop:

It keeps us on our toes.
    I'd be a complete drooling idiot if I went through life without being intellectually challenged, so I welcome it, even if the consequence is potentially being berated or insulted in the process.

Opinions and views may not change, but your understanding of your own views, and refinement of your world view is always worth the **** flinging.

I'm not directing that at you, I'm just telling you my reason for valuing it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guns, politics and religion are all connected in one way or another. Our founding fathers saw that and made sure it was presented in our constitution; all quite close together at the top!

So we have a gun forum that also has politics and religion. Discussions, at times, will be ruffled not so much for the content but rather for individuals personalizing their attack /disagreement. I personally have learned allot from the political forum that I would have not elsewhere; just because I did not know where to look or what to look for. Same goes for the COVID room, Christian room..... as well as the gun areas. It would be bored to death if the other areas were removed. It would then, for certain, become a “good ok’ boys” club and I would most likely stop coming.

Remove politics then religion? People leaving because of thin skin, hurt feelings or disagreements? We’re adults.

I think CM does a great job. I understand it and have great respect for CM.

I truly do not understand why one would remove a sub-forum over the complaints of some. Sort of like the cancel culture we see today. A small group of people make enough noise; it’s removed.

Just to review....did you read my explanation. The forum was going to be removed when the new owners took it on. I had to promise it would remain civil. So we have it. No knock on you sir but please see this in the reality of it. This last year has went bare knuckles as compared to the previous 3. Crazy times I agree. Trolls and douche bags were on the move. The usual suspects that only come here to post in troubled times were out in the light of day to stir :poop:

I too learn a lot from that sub-forum as so many that post there take the time to dig up what is really going on in the world. And that reality is damned scary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It keeps us on our toes.
    I'd be a complete drooling idiot if I went through life without being intellectually challenged, so I welcome it, even if the consequence is potentially being berated or insulted in the process.

Opinions and views may not change, but your understanding of your own views, and refinement of your world view is always worth the **** flinging.

I'm not directing that at you, I'm just telling you my reason for valuing it.

In this I see you to be true to your beliefs. And no I do not see this as pointed my way. I completely understand. I have had my points of view and opinions altered by this sub-forum. In the oddest ways.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Well, close together at the top of the amendments.

In the Constitution itself, there's no talk about guns, and the only mention of religion is that there shall be no test to hold office, IIRC.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

In the Constitution itself, there's no talk about guns, and the only mention of religion is that there shall be no test to hold office, IIRC.

Well ok, that’s what I meant. hopefully people knew what I was thinking.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    General Political Discussion looks to be the 2nd most active forum by number of posts, with the Break Room being #1.

Not sure that getting rid of one of the most active subforums (by far) just because some people get hurt feelings is a good business decision. But there is probably a lot I don't understand about how these forums stay in business/existence. I always thought it was clicks = revenue, but I dunno.

Then again, INGO would probably be better off overall without hate-fest threads like "Hey guys, let's post stories about illegal alien scumbags."

I've been on a couple of forums with 2nd Amendment politics ONLY (no "general" politics), and they don't seem to be as contentious.

I won't leave INGO if the general politics forum disappears. It sure would clear out the trolls with dubious gun-owner credentials, if that's the goal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

While technically correct, the Amendments become part of the Constitution when they are ratified, do they not?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Like alpo, when I come here I hit latest posts. If I see something interesting I jump in and maybe join in. If I don't ave interest in it I move on.

If I'm looking for something specific I'll drill down to that section. Bit I mostly live in 'latest post'

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just gonna leave this here for those that have 16% or less of a 5-digit post count OUTSIDE of the political venues. This domain name is for sale. Just saying, it's not too late in life to start a farm.

https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=timetoargue&e=com

I'm on board with the entire section of the forum drifting away into the sunset with Grace Kelly. I'm not even a mod or participator in there. But sweet Roosevelt Christ. You guys know who you are. You are running off the decent folk because of your constant banter.

Carry on. I just realized I wasted all that finger energy ...

As one who left I'll return briefly, perhaps to salvage something good from all of this. It's a gun forum, with additions. You can argue everything from economic policy to Salma's bra size and there 's nothing wrong with that. Where I drew the line was the support given, the arguments made, and the crowing afterwards on behalf of proven anti-2A candidates in the last election. Our last president is hardly a paragon of 2A virtue, but compares favorably to his competitor in this regard. Anti 2A whatever has no business here, it original sin on a gun board in my opinion and as it's my opinion I just left rather than put up with it as it's still a free country. The decision lies ultimately with the owner of the site as he pays the bills, but there's a lot of places for people like me to go as well.

I like these two points of explanation. I been a member here a long time, quit coming around when some other stuff went down, just started hanging around again. I mostly post in handguns or break room. Politics is of no interest to me. I come here for the guns, and other hobby interests, because this community is so knowledgeable and sharing. I liked the few get togethers that were arranged on here. I like the current crop of mods, and the awesome job they do here.

Thanks for reading.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    As one who left I'll return briefly, perhaps to salvage something good from all of this. It's a gun forum, with additions. You can argue everything from economic policy to Salma's bra size and there 's nothing wrong with that. Where I drew the line was the support given, the arguments made, and the crowing afterwards on behalf of proven anti-2A candidates in the last election. Our last president is hardly a paragon of 2A virtue, but compares favorably to his competitor in this regard. Anti 2A whatever has no business here, it original sin on a gun board in my opinion and as it's my opinion I just left rather than put up with it as it's still a free country. The decision lies ultimately with the owner of the site as he pays the bills, but there's a lot of places for people like me to go as well.
    And you are one who is truly missed. Good to see you again sir.
    Perfect example: An undeterminable wealth of firearms knowledge in human form driven abroad by the likes of the orators. We are losing the very core of the forum to the issue.
    I'm not saying there isn't a place in the world for passionate debate and discussion. I for one appreciate it. But stop muddying the water. Politics are a part of everyday life, but they don't have to consume so much of your energy.

When a limb becomes gangrenous, do you not remove it before it infects the rest of the body?

This thread is also a testament to the lack of civility in general around the subject. I simply stated that if you have NOTHING or LITTLE ELSE to contribute aside from politics, maybe there's a greener pasture. A few came in foaming at the gills as expected. How dare I express my opinion that doesn't agree with the masses.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Because you came in calling for all of us to no longer be able to express our opinions because it upsets you.
    You are skimming right across my points just to retort. Like so many, rather than LISTEN you're waiting for your turn to speak.

1. I never said I was upset. Trust me the masses groaning is little more than a chuckle to me. I find other's sensitivity amusing at best.
    2. My central point was if your BS bleeds over and runs off some of our most valuable assets, then move on. The majority are suffering because of the deeds of the few.
    Keep pissing in the stream, and eventually someone will come upriver looking for answers.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Like alpo, when I come here I hit latest posts. If I see something interesting I jump in and maybe join in. If I don't ave interest in it I move on.

If I'm looking for something specific I'll drill down to that section. Bit I mostly live in 'latest post'
    Most often when I visit the site I scroll though the "latest" feed. This may be to my detriment. I'm just sick of the same old song.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom