• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My guess is the pistol was unholstered and a tampon got wedged into the trigger guard. Set the purse down, pressure applied to trigger and boom.

Since it's at a nail salon, there's likely other people around that would report any coonfingering going on.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I get Kirk's point. This is why we have the 4 rules.

Maybe my problem is terminology. When we talk about guns "just going off," or "going off by themselves," I think in terms like spontaneous combustion. I think of a gun being loaded and left on a table/put in a drawer/buried for 1000 years - and then, spontaneously, just going 'bang,' like a tree falling in the woods. No one around. No intervention. Gun just goes bang.

When I hear of examples like those cited in this thread, and elsewhere, involving people loading/unloading, dropping guns, etc. - I do not think of these situations as guns just going off, by themselves, with no intervention.

Somebody is doing something (or just did something). And yeah, whenever we're "doing something" with guns we should treat them with the respect they deserve.

Dropping your purse, that you know has a gun in it, does not qualify as treating it with the respect it deserves.

If we only knew what brand/model the gun was then we could start bashing it as a patently inferior design. :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, my point being, as with all these gun safety threads, is that guns go bang when you do not want them to--loading, unloading, dropping them, crappy holsters, inter alia.

We need not be so blase in our gun handling or we will harm ourselves or others.

A gun could go off by itslef without any outside intrevention if given the example I listed earlier about a 1911 with like the hammer hooks shaved way down. Load it and let it sit, the thing could go bang all by itself.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    In other news,

Girl gets pregnant from swimming pool.

Honest.

For Serious.

It COULD happen.

TailBlazer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    This kind of sounds like the same reason they have banned the Blackhawk SERPA holster for LEO. It comes down to people making mistakes, and don't want to think they were being unsafe.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thats a blanket statement Kirk, and as such is factually untrue. Many are purposefully constructed to fire without the magazine inserted. Those are the only kind I would own.

Geez, I'm old, sorry. Smith & Wesson third generation auto pistols had magazine safeties and Gunsite would demonstrate that they could be fired with the magazine out. The lesson was not to trust guns as they do freaky things and all the mechanical doohickies that make a gun firing "impossible" are rubbish.

You kids and your sidways hats, your hippin' and hoppin' and your M&Ps, I remember when all this was orchard . . . darn it.:D

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Well, my gun is always in it's holster... and has yet to go off by itself. Safety is on until I'm ready to use it, still don't see how it go ever go off period without cocking the hammer on it along with the safety being off... along with pulling the trigger.
    I still always treat it as loaded until i've cleared it... just saying I see it highly improbable it would ever doing anything unless I did it.

Top Bottom