• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Very nice! This is the same color scheme I selected for a Kimber TLE that I recently dropped and damaged. AllenM has it now and is almost to the point of cerakoting with black graphite. Thanks for sharing. Except now I'm even more anxious to get mine back, even though I did ask Allen to take his time. :D

His refinishing is a quick turnaround and always looks exceptional, best of both worlds. I have Remington R1 I need to get to him now.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    That looks really nice! It's all blended perfectly and the hand checkering looks awesome. I can barely see the seam between the frame and beavertail. I hope I can make my project look half as nice. I've been waiting for Fusion to ship parts for 2 1/2 months. This just gets me all excited again! You are a pro!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That looks really nice! It's all blended perfectly and the hand checkering looks awesome. I can barely see the seam between the frame and beavertail. I hope I can make my project look half as nice. I've been waiting for Fusion to ship parts for 2 1/2 months. This just gets me all excited again! You are a pro!

Thanks, I've been doing 1911 work for a long time and used to do it professionally in MI. Is your Fusion coming pre-cut for a beavertail or are the tangs left long? Getting a good B'tail fit is really just patience, a lot of marking the tangs and filing, over and over until the safety slides in. After that blending the grip radius portion and top. You'll have to decide before hand if you want to blend the top of the tangs beavertail depressed or not depressed. I like the look of the b'tail not depressed as it looks better in pics :dunno: After that I blend the lower tangs and the lower part with the b'tail depressed so it will be blended just as you hold it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Looks awesome! How much to checker my 1911's front strap like that? I do not have the patience?

It is time consuming to do it by hand. I would check around and see what you can find as far as machine checkering. Typically you will pay around 175.00 to 250.00 for it (which is why I taught myself how to do it :))
    My go to machine checkering guy is Jim Milks from Innovative Custom Guns in PA.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Thanks, I've been doing 1911 work for a long time and used to do it professionally in MI. Is your Fusion coming pre-cut for a beavertail or are the tangs left long? Getting a good B'tail fit is really just patience, a lot of marking the tangs and filing, over and over until the safety slides in. After that blending the grip radius portion and top. You'll have to decide before hand if you want to blend the top of the tangs beavertail depressed or not depressed. I like the look of the b'tail not depressed as it looks better in pics :dunno: After that I blend the lower tangs and the lower part with the b'tail depressed so it will be blended just as you hold it.
    The tangs are going to be left long. I posted a pic of the frame awhile back. It will need to be trimmed to fit. I'm with you on making it blend in with the b'tail not depressed. I've read a few of your posts about 1911's over time on the forum. I may have to ask some questions when I get all of my parts if you don't mind. I'll be sending Fusion an email in about a week asking for an update. I've been trying to keep emails to them monthly approximately. I came back to the thread to check out the pics again today!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The tangs are going to be left long. I posted a pic of the frame awhile back. It will need to be trimmed to fit. I'm with you on making it blend in with the b'tail not depressed. I've read a few of your posts about 1911's over time on the forum. I may have to ask some questions when I get all of my parts if you don't mind. I'll be sending Fusion an email in about a week asking for an update. I've been trying to keep emails to them monthly approximately. I came back to the thread to check out the pics again today!

With the tangs left long that is half the battle to getting a good fit. What beavertail are you going to use? Easiest installation for a beginner is probably the CMC (McCormick) beavertails and a .250 radius jig. The most elegant and a little more difficult to fit are the Wilson's. The beavertail requires the most frame work will be the Ed Browns. You can always PM me with any questions I don't mind. Also, if you are near Indy and need a specific tool let me know.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    With the tangs left long that is half the battle to getting a good fit. What beavertail are you going to use? Easiest installation for a beginner is probably the CMC (McCormick) beavertails and a .250 radius jig. The most elegant and a little more difficult to fit are the Wilson's. The beavertail requires the most frame work will be the Ed Browns. You can always PM me with any questions I don't mind. Also, if you are near Indy and need a specific tool let me know.

I was going to use everything from Fusion with the exception of the MHS. It's going to have to be a Caspian race ready. I was planning on using the Wilson Installation jig, I've not ordered any of the specialty tools I'll need as of yet though. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom