• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Just kidding... :D What I MEANT to say was my conversion of a PAP to Double Stack, with Threaded Barrel, and requisite 922r compliance parts. I've already done the work, and honestly, I didn't take many photos, but I'll post what I have as I get them uploaded.

:ingo:

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    IMG_20120924_214158.jpg

IMG_20120924_214134.jpg

How it started.

First things first, stripped it down, outlined the new cuts I would need on the receiver.
    IMG_20120925_223615.jpg

IMG_20120925_224218.jpg

As you can see, I used a cut receiver to mark the new opening.

IMG_20120925_224725.jpg

IMG_20120925_225028.jpg

Using blue masking tape helps keep things tidy. In hindsight, I think I would also use a cork on the barrel just to keep it clean. If you don't, be sure to use the utmost care when cleaning out the rifle. You don't want to scratch the bore.

IMG_20120925_231812.jpg

By the way, I'll have you know it was quite the sacrifice using my t-shirt to protect the finish on the receiver... Hot metal, hairy chest, loads of sparks, spare tire... I guess I'm just that manly. . . :n00b: [Or I had another shirt on... your call.]

IMG_20120925_232724.jpg

OKAY, now the receiver has been cut. [Note the screw up on the edge. Dremmel got a bit out of control. Purely cosmetic, and I'll be blasting, parking, and painting in the future, so it won't really make any difference eventually. It did, however, **** me off greatly when I did it.

IMG_20120925_232735.jpg

IMG_20120927_002320.jpg

Next, I cut the tabs off the interior of the receiver to allow for the double-stack mags to insert. Oh, if only it was this simple and that was it. Nope. This is quite a bit more in-depth than you might think. I began boring out the front trunnion to allow for the double stack mags. Keep in mind, you will need to measure, fit, remove material, and repeat. It's a lot harder to add material than it is to take it off.

IMG_20120927_002257.jpg

Okay, once I got that to fit (about 4 hours worth of dremeling at this point) I attached a US pistol grip.

I also ordered a receiver adapter since the good folks at Zastava decided to do a slant cut on the back of the receiver... [grrrr] Oh, did I mention they also grind down their bolts to keep them from stripping off rounds from the left stacked rounds on mags? HA, yeah. they do... So, here's what I ended up ordering to get this thing converted. Hope it helps someone else down the road?

PARTS LIST

• US Made AK47 G2 Double Hook Trigger Group
    • US Made Slant Muzzle Brake
    • US Made pistol grip
    • US Made Gas Piston
    • ACE adapter
    • ACE button release folding stock
    • US Made ACE skeleton stock
    • New AK bolt
    • Krebs retaining trigger group plate
    • New Dust Cover (the one it comes with is crap, it's incapable of holding anything steady and weighs a lot.)
    • Front Sight post muzzle retaining pin and spring

I still need to order a railed gas-tube. EVENTUALLY. . . Right now I'm just waiting until I find one used. [Hey, I'm a dreamer, eh?]

IMG_20120927_220015-1.jpg

IMG_20121001_013207.jpg

I had to shape the dust cover to fit, but it is MUCH better than the original. Colors aren't as far off as the image would lead you to believe either.

At this point I met up with Vitamink
    profilepic9378_1.gif
    INGunOwners - View Profile: vitamink who helped me to get the barrel threaded. Don't tell anyone, but he's a hell of a nice guy. [I owe ya one man!!!:ingo:]

I had to remove a bit of material on the barrel to ensure rounds could be chambered, as well as hand-lap the new bolt to mate appropriately with the chamber. I know I could have removed the front trunnion, pressed out the barrel, and re-fit to use any old bolt. But seriously, why go through the effort?! When was the last time your AK bolt blew up and you had to get a new one?:rolleyes: Not to mention, if that happens, and for some reason the rest of the rifle is unaffected. Just get another bolt, hand lap that [which isn't NEARLY as dirty as it sounds] and you'll be good to go.

It wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be to begin with, but it was a lot of fun. I should have taken more photos, but I honestly think it's pretty straight-forward! IF you are thinking of knocking one of these out, go for it!

:ingo:

IMG_20121108_090815.jpg

Update: blasted the weapon,
    20130202_171620.jpg

sprayed with gun kote, baked,
    20130204_214227.jpg

and re-assembled.
    20130205_003756.jpg

20130205_003805.jpg

20130205_003737.jpg

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You're welcome.

I've got to admit i nearly **** my pants when i saw the title followed by the name. Thanks for the coffee again! It's a great looking AK! If i remember correctly, Clay and I both tried to jump on that when it popped up. Other than that goofy top cover and single stack-edness, those guns appear to be some of the better made. The barrel steel was tough! Threading that barrel was a chore to say the least.

I didn't even notice the rear was slanted, you'd think i would be the type to pay attention to things. Excellent, work, pics, write up sir. You and your cool AK are welcome on the futon whenever you want.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    You're welcome.

I've got to admit i nearly **** my pants when i saw the title followed by the name. Thanks for the coffee again! It's a great looking AK! If i remember correctly, Clay and I both tried to jump on that when it popped up. Other than that goofy top cover and single stack-edness, those guns appear to be some of the better made. The barrel steel was tough! Threading that barrel was a chore to say the least.

I didn't even notice the rear was slanted, you'd think i would be the type to pay attention to things. Excellent, work, pics, write up sir. You and your cool AK are welcome on the futon whenever you want.

Yeah, sometimes I like to stir the pot. Haven't had any knocks on the door yet, but who knows, eh? :) No worries on the coffee. Glad you were able to help. I felt like a wuss trying to hold that stock steady for you, YEESH. that steel was tough stuff. Glad to know there's a spot on the futon. . . My guess is there are many spots on that futon... but I digress. ;)

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    I hope you checked head space before you shot the gun with the new bolt. I'd hate to see you get hurt.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I hope you checked head space before you shot the gun with the new bolt. I'd hate to see you get hurt.

I actually had to hand-lap the face of the replacement bolt to bring it into spec. I simply checked it with a pair of digital calipers to the old bolt until everything checked out. Easy Peasy.

Mighty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Hey I am doing the same thing to my PAP, and I'm going crazy trying to find that ACE adapter for my rear receiver (slant cut). The gun was originally single stack, had it milled out to accept "proper" magazines, but I can't for the life of me find that adapter you have even on ACE's website! I have to ditch the thumb hole stock- anything you can tell me to help would be greatly appreciated. I just joined the forum today so I could ask you this specifically! Btw your PAP looks awesome- I hope mine comes out looking as nice - thanks you and hope to hear from you soon

Top Bottom