Guy broke into my house. Court sent me a letter saying guy owes me restitution?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Why are you some of you so careless with human life. People make mistakes.

How dare you accuse US of being the ones careless of life. WE didn't break into someones castle WHILE HE WAS HOME AND ARMED. I'd say the perp was the one who is careless with life. HIS OWN.

Stupid should hurt. Slime should be eliminated. We have a surplus of both these days.:twocents:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    As far as I am concerned, once you've broken into my house, you've forfeited any rights you had outside.

However, I hope that if I am ever in a situation such as that, I will be able to handle it as you did. It is by far the better option, given the ones that you had.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    How dare you accuse US of being the ones careless of life. WE didn't break into someones castle WHILE HE WAS HOME AND ARMED. I'd say the perp was the one who is careless with life. HIS OWN.

Stupid should hurt. Slime should be eliminated. We have a surplus of both these days.:twocents:

Thank You !! I can't stand pansy assed cowards !

"Oh My ! His Momma probably jerked him from the nipple too soon!"

"He flunked school!"

"His Aunt is his Momma too!"

Wait 'til some slug climbs in bleeding hearts' window some night! GEEZ !!!!

Rant over

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    First off, the only thing the dude stole from me was my peace of mind. How do you put a price on that?

See what the market would bear. Try to auction off your "peace of mind" on eBay and see what people will pay for it. While you're at it, also try "innocence".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How dare you accuse US of being the ones careless of life.

Before you get too riled up, note that the comment you're quoting is over five months old and the author hasn't been here since February. Such is the danger of the Necroposted Thread.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    I'm not sure what I would've done but I know this, if he fully surrendered and I shot and killed him anyways then I'm worse than him. A sense of morality and justice is what separates law abiding citizens from criminals. If I fight a crime with an even worse crime then I have stooped to a lower point than he was at...Now if he had kept coming or branded his own weapon, I would do what I had to do. But kill a kid who has just surrendered, c'mon guys.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm not sure what I would've done but I know this, if he fully surrendered and I shot and killed him anyways then I'm worse than him. A sense of morality and justice is what separates law abiding citizens from criminals. If I fight a crime with an even worse crime then I have stooped to a lower point than he was at...Now if he had kept coming or branded his own weapon, I would do what I had to do. But kill a kid who has just surrendered, c'mon guys.

+1 :yesway:

The people advocating a more extreme response are probably joking, or else they live in a fantasy world. Sure, we have to protect ourselves, but that includes our humanity and decency. What's the point of self defense if, in the process, we turn ourselves into something not worth defending? Yes, the robber forfeited some of his rights when he broke into the victim's house, and that's why he's paying for his crime through the court system. I think the victim (or the brave defender of the household, whichever way you look at it) is being quite humane and reasonable in considering the issue of the restitution.

I, too, was joking - about auctioning the peace of mind anyway.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    You and your firearm did exactly what they should have done. They stopped a threat to you and yours. I commend you on your decision and would not worry about others second guessing your decision or actions. Restitution? I wouldn't give it a second thought. If there were no monetary damages, there is nothing to pursue. :+1:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cause/effect. I would guess plenty of uneducated people and/or drug addicts are not criminals. Plenty of poor people are not criminals.

Plenty of uneducated people are not criminals, very true, but the vast majority of drug addicts ARE criminals. I would call a drug addict the is not a criminal a very rare bird.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I always enjoy reading these older threads. I know that the majority of those claiming to shoot first, ask questions later would be so scared ****less they wouldn't know what to do and their internet bravado just makes me chuckle. I will easily admit I have no ****ing clue what I'd do in the situation presented many many moons ago from the OP. I'd like to think I'd handle it clear headed and appropriately like the OP, but in all honesty until you've been there, you don't know.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Before you get too riled up, note that the comment you're quoting is over five months old and the author hasn't been here since February. Such is the danger of the Necroposted Thread.

Not true. I am here every day! I'm just uber sneakay!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Not true. I am here every day! I'm just uber sneakay!

No, not you... This post:

Why are you some of you so careless with human life. People make mistakes.
    Which was quoted in this post:

They were not talking about you :).

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    There is a very good reason I did not shoot him, and I would appreciate it if you would respect that. My 2 month old son was sleeping in an open topped cradle less than a foot away from where I confronted the guy. I was pulling the trigger, waiting for the shot to break, but gave a second's pause. The thoughts that ran through my head were basically "when I shoot him, the gunshot could make the baby go deaf for life. He could fall and land on the baby and kill him. His blood could get in the baby's mouth and if he's got any bloodborne disease he could infect my son." In that split second those thoughts ran through my head, he surrendered fully, negating the need for me to kill him.

It's amazing how much goes through your mind in a situation like this. Not that my opinion counts but I think that you made an outstanding call on this.

Top Bottom