Guy broke into my house. Court sent me a letter saying guy owes me restitution?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    It's amazing how much goes through your mind in a situation like this. Not that my opinion counts but I think that you made an outstanding call on this.

You know, it is interesting. I don't know how to say this without sounding like I'm trying to be conceited or something. My adrenaline didn't kick in at all. I was as calm as could be. My mind always works super fast anyways. But yeah. It was like, the first thing I did was ask myself "where're these bullets gonna go?" The next thing I did was say "how will he react?" then it was "How will it affect parties involved immediately, and how will it affect said people long term". I was able to accurately and logically process that in a split second and say to myself "if he moves wrong, he is dead", and mean it.

I've always been that way. If something bad happens (and I've had a lot of BAD things happen that managed to involve me), I don't get all hot and bothered or freak out. I just handle it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I didn't read this whole thread but I do remember the original thread.

I think that if you have moved away and there is nothing that he took or broke, be done with it. Enjoy life.

1. You can't get him to do time (that I know of)
    2. He ddn't take or reak anything.
    3. The hassle of getting anything from him as well as the continued contact with him does not seem worth it.

In the original case you did well.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    There is a very good reason I did not shoot him, and I would appreciate it if you would respect that. My 2 month old son was sleeping in an open topped cradle less than a foot away from where I confronted the guy. I was pulling the trigger, waiting for the shot to break, but gave a second's pause. The thoughts that ran through my head were basically "when I shoot him, the gunshot could make the baby go deaf for life. He could fall and land on the baby and kill him. His blood could get in the baby's mouth and if he's got any bloodborne disease he could infect my son." In that split second those thoughts ran through my head, he surrendered fully, negating the need for me to kill him.

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. Repped to your story, and good luck on the outcome to the situation.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You can make a recommendation on sentencing, but that doesn't mean they'll do it. Obviously if you ask for them to sentence him to 100 years it's not going to happen.

Broke the door, from what I remember... or the door frame.

3. The hassle of getting anything from him as well as the continued contact with him does not seem worth it.
    I agree :).

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I didn't read this whole thread but I do remember the original thread.

I think that if you have moved away and there is nothing that he took or broke, be done with it. Enjoy life.

In the original case you did well.

I completely agree. That was responsible home defense. An intruder who immediately surrenders shouldn't be viewed as an automatic double tap. An over-eagerness to immediately put a bullet in anything that comes through your door is a bit paranoid and not helpful to the cause, IMO.

I say recommend jail time for the perp. Beyond that, leave it in the rear view.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I can't personally say what I have would have done in your situation. But, it appears from your reasoning, that you made the best one. Indiana does have a castle doctrine, I agree with other peoples posts as far as that goes. I am not "itching to take a life" or trigger happy. Taking someones life is the last thing I would want to do, but if necessary I will.

In a completely other incident I did need to draw my gun, but didn't pull the trigger, I didn't hesitate or freeze up. My mind was running a million miles a minute, waiting on the next move. They made the right one, they still "suck oxygen" to this day. Maybe one day I will share that story maybe I won't. I do agree people make mistakes and sometimes they shouldn't have to pay with their lives.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    You can make a recommendation on sentencing, but that doesn't mean they'll do it. Obviously if you ask for them to sentence him to 100 years it's not going to happen.

Broke the door, from what I remember... or the door frame.

I agree :).

Exactly. That was my point. You can say "hey, I want him to do 2 years in Jail". The prosecutor is going to do what they feel they can and that's about it. So why worry about it at this point?

I think the prosecutor is not asking for what the OP wants to have done with the guy but only to make sure that the OP is "made whole" monitarily.

So my point is only that if it was not much of anything done and he has moved to a new place - be done with it for his own sake not that of the perp.

Top Bottom