• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Turn on MAC address filtering also; this only allows the MAC addresses (each Network device has a unique ID) on your white list to access the router.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    MAC addresses are easy to spoof. You need to run wpa2 with AES only to be secure.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    All of those steps are helpful and a strong deterrent. Yes, it's true that MAC addresses can be spoofed (I'm guessing at least 1/3 of people here have never heard the term though) and encryption can be hacked. But it secures you from 99.9% of people as most don't know how to do those things. Also, those that do know how will probably just move on to an easier target since there are many, many unsecured routers out there.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Cracking WPA2 with AES is very difficult... I've tried for work, running on high end servers and couldn't do it after 14 days.
    2 dollars an hour with amazon cloud servers, the right software and the right dictionaries there are hundreds of proof of concept videos online
    Yeah, but if you lived next door to someone, and had weeks of 24/7 with nothing useful to do, you could do it.
    My buddy does that with his mac constantly just for fun
    yeah, I know. Some days it's better to throw out the popcorn then to actually say what I'm thinking :D
    CHICKEN

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    ^^^^^this and if we really get mad at you we'll hack your router and download the Bill of Rights ... than Obama's Brownshirts will come for you

I prefer a rather inocuous batch file that deletes all that illegally downloaded music people tend to have and never change the directories of where they downloaded them to.

Top Bottom