• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    That technique pretty much requires that your key is a dictionary word, otherwise you have to brute-force it. Given the current level of technology, a decently long random (or pseudo-random) key would take the combined computing power of the entire world longer than the heat-death of the universe to crack.

EON's to crack something like this, unless you got lucky and actually had the password in your dictionary ( highly unlikely ).

I'm more concerned about published encryption flaws ( they do happen ) like WEP and WPA for instance.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    EON's to crack something like this, unless you got lucky and actually had the password in your dictionary ( highly unlikely ).

I'm more concerned about published encryption flaws ( they do happen ) like WEP and WPA for instance.

WEP and WPA obviously have flaws, as indicated by the video, but at least WPA2/AES can (currently) be reasonably secured with a decent key and preferably also by implementing additional security measures like RADIUS authentication, MAC restrictions, and client-side SSL certificates. Depending on your infrastructure design, you can also have expiring/rotating keys to make it even harder.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That technique pretty much requires that your key is a dictionary word, otherwise you have to brute-force it. Given the current level of technology, a decently long random (or pseudo-random) key would take the combined computing power of the entire world longer than the heat-death of the universe to crack.

I would guess that most household routers use no security whatsoever. Then the majority of those that do, I bet use simple (easily remembered) passwords. Just a guess of course ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would guess that most household routers use no security whatsoever. Then the majority of those that do, I bet use simple (easily remembered) passwords. Just a guess of course ;)

Yeah, I agree. Most people have no idea how to even begin to secure their wireless. Linksys even has a "One Button Setup" now to try to simplify it, and people will still choose easy-to-guess passwords.

A guy I know is a proponent of open wifi, saying "Letting ANYONE on your WiFi gives you plausible deniability. Having a secure access point implies that it must have been you, unless you can definitively show that someone broke in." I don't have enough of a legal background to argue that position, but generally speaking I don't agree with it. I'd rather have secure systems.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yeah, I agree. Most people have no idea how to even begin to secure their wireless. Linksys even has a "One Button Setup" now to try to simplify it, and people will still choose easy-to-guess passwords.

A guy I know is a proponent of open wifi, saying "Letting ANYONE on your WiFi gives you plausible deniability. Having a secure access point implies that it must have been you, unless you can definitively show that someone broke in." I don't have enough of a legal background to argue that position, but generally speaking I don't agree with it. I'd rather have secure systems.

I agree with that, I'd prefer to have secure systems as well. What are the odd's your neighbor is knowledgeable to do this? Not to mention most hackers that are interested in things like this do it for the greater good ( better understanding so people can be more protected ).

I'm not sure how many average pedo's out there know how to crack encryption just to fap to some filthy content.

:dunno:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Another thing I think about here is.. What if someone has their network protected with WPA or WEP. How are they going to make the case or even know the encryption they're using is vulnerable?

That would be a hard one for a non-techy to explain to the jury IMO.

about the same as explaining to a jury why you carry those nasty hollow points.

I agree with that, I'd prefer to have secure systems as well. What are the odd's your neighbor is knowledgeable to do this? Not to mention most hackers that are interested in things like this do it for the greater good ( better understanding so people can be more protected ).

I'm not sure how many average pedo's out there know how to crack encryption just to fap to some filthy content.

:dunno:

most would probably spoof their ip mac and dns so they are hopping through a few different servers as somebody else before they ever get to their dirty deeds. easy enough to track if you have the skills and the time but most prosecuting attorneys don't have either at their leisure.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    about the same as explaining to a jury why you carry those nasty hollow points.

It was locked with one of these:
    BSLO1458.jpg

Instead of one of these:
    54067048_e407035935.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I remember reading an article by a guy that promoted open wifi just because he felt we should all just share the bandwidth. It wasn't really a legal thing. Just being helpful and courteous to others.

Just going from memory, I think the open wifi defense has had mixed results. Seems like some of the big copyright infringement verdicts came against people that used that as a defense.

Top Bottom