Guy Shoots Himself In The Hand At Beech Grove Range Tonight???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wonder what the one hand has against the other. It must be a psychological thing. Probably the one hand is jealous of the other because the one doesn't have to wipe or something. I'm sure his hand deserved it.

You know that expression about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?

This guy's other hand know NOW, that's for sure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Terre Haute
    This was My Dad..... and yes I was present and took him to the Hospital

Was just browsing on facebook and my old boss said he was at Beech Grove tonight using the range and a guy shot himself in the hand inside the range. Anybody else hear about this? Obviously the guy didn't know the 4 rules.

Since the "Older Man" was tad shocked (to say the least) after shooting himself in the hand, the details were a bit vague as to what happened. To the best of our knowledge he was attempting to clear the jam of his Phoenix Arms .22LR semi-auto and then it went off..... As to where his hand was placed at the time it went off? Well, obviously on the wrong side of a bullet. After it went off he did see that the shell casing was pointing out sideways of the breach. As rimfires go, it doesnt take much from any angle on the butt end of it to discharge it. Yes, there was a LOT of blood everywhere (amazing what even small holes will do). We Graciously Thank Those at Beech Grove Firearms that helped us with patching him up and cleaning up the mess so we could get him to the ER ASAP. As much as I would of liked to analize the scene and look for a 22 shell that was the culprit, I had better things to do.... Never the less, despite getting shot, He was real lucky for a number of reasons.... 1. It wasn't his 45 he was shooting. 2. it went in palm side at his index finger and thumb, came out on the opposite side near the wrist... (please explain how that magic bullet didnt break a bone or shread a tendon) 3. I was on the other side of the wall!!!!! (guess his hand slowed it down)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Those walls have steel in them. I tuck in real close sometimes when I see idiots there swinging their guns around or hitting the steel beams or supports. Sparks fly!
    most likely the reason the "shell was sideways" is because your dad's other hand kept the slide from fully extending back and ejecting it.
    Hope he's ok and doesn't lose any digits!

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Brother In Arms 1776 Hope your dad is ok. Anyone who has never had a close call shooting either won't admit it or no one was within sight. Safety 1st are rules 2 & 3 as we all know. All guns are loaded number 1. Again hope he is ok and get him a better pistol. Also get him interested in a safety course. Get back on the horse and ride it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Thanks to those that realize that it’s not necessarily a persons intellegence that govern wether or not they will have an incident like this… My father preached gun safety often. “Never point it at yourself or anyone else!” and to always insure that the firearm is unloaded when you handling it……. In this senerio the biggest problem was mostlikely (as with almost all accidents) Complacincy being the #1 factor. I practice safety everyday, My job WILL not give me a second chance if I F#CK UP… But there’s always the Unforeseen things that happen as well. If you practice good gun safety your face, hands, whatever and who ever won’t have a problem when it does happen, Hopefully. I work with High voltage for living…. Stuff happens when equipment fails. We shoot guns, that have been tested by the manufacture and shouldn’t have problems when properly cleaned and cared for…… But, there risk in driving on the same roads with idiots texting in rush hour traffic too. I’d rather be at the range any day.
    As for The Old man, He’s healing…. Could have been a lot worse. But, It won’t stop him from getting back on the saddle. It will make think 2,3,4,5,6 times about what the hell he’s doing, but he’ll get on with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Given the number of times I've seen people point guns at their own hands, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I was on the other side of the wall!!!!! (guess his hand slowed it down)

As for The Old man, He’s healing…. Could have been a lot worse. But, It won’t stop him from getting back on the saddle. It will make think 2,3,4,5,6 times about what the hell he’s doing, but he’ll get on with it.

Best wishes for fast healing for your dad! :yesway:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Thanks to those that realize that it’s not necessarily a persons intellegence that govern wether or not they will have an incident like this… My father preached gun safety often. “Never point it at yourself or anyone else!” and to always insure that the firearm is unloaded when you handling it……. In this senerio the biggest problem was mostlikely (as with almost all accidents) Complacincy being the #1 factor. I practice safety everyday, My job WILL not give me a second chance if I F#CK UP… But there’s always the Unforeseen things that happen as well. If you practice good gun safety your face, hands, whatever and who ever won’t have a problem when it does happen, Hopefully. I work with High voltage for living…. Stuff happens when equipment fails. We shoot guns, that have been tested by the manufacture and shouldn’t have problems when properly cleaned and cared for…… But, there risk in driving on the same roads with idiots texting in rush hour traffic too. I’d rather be at the range any day.

I'm very glad to hear your dad is healing and should be fine. It sure could've been a lot worse, and...

Welcome to INGO! Hope you hang around!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for your support

I'm very glad to hear your dad is healing and should be fine. It sure could've been a lot worse, and...

Welcome to INGO! Hope you hang around!

To GunSlinger and all those with concerns with their focus on personal wellbeing over focusing on the negatives. We really appreciate it. Not I give much credit to those that do anyways. I intend on continuing being apart of this community now that I was made aware of it through a friend from work. Many good folk on this site with a wealth of knowledge to learn

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    BrotherInArms1776: Glad your Pops is all good. Welcome aboard, you will find alot of good stuff here. Let me know when you all are going back to the range so I can stay away. LOL. Sorry Brother, I couldn't help myself.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To GunSlinger and all those with concerns with their focus on personal wellbeing over focusing on the negatives. We really appreciate it. Not I give much credit to those that do anyways. I intend on continuing being apart of this community now that I was made aware of it through a friend from work. Many good folk on this site with a wealth of knowledge to learn
    I just found this thread tonite, and I too, am glad it wasn't worse... Keep practicing, and learning .... Hope your Dad, is healing well...
    Oh, and :welcome: to INGO .....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Terre Haute
    BrotherInArms1776: Glad your Pops is all good. Welcome aboard, you will find alot of good stuff here. Let me know when you all are going back to the range so I can stay away. LOL. Sorry Brother, I couldn't help myself.

And just when thought I was going to let you try my G22 to how you liked it befire you bought one..... :bs:J/K

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    As it's already been mentioned, I'll just reiterate it...Accidents happen when people become complacent.

Top Bottom