Guy Shoots Himself In The Hand At Beech Grove Range Tonight???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I wonder what the one hand has against the other. It must be a psychological thing. Probably the one hand is jealous of the other because the one doesn't have to wipe or something. I'm sure his hand deserved it.

I doubt it's that simple, Mackey. The hand that has to wipe likely sees more action elsewhere than the other. Both actions probably cancel each other. Sometimes it just sucks to be the dominant hand ... "Do I have to do EVERYTHING around here? Sheesh ..." :laugh:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Getting shot by your own gun.............reminds me of guys getting nailed by table saws.
    Yeah, that blade just jumps out and grabs ya.

Yet people still put their fingers in such devices...... often. Heck two of my old engineers did it.

It's a blade, a spinning one.

Never been really trained but damn, that sounds really stupid to put anything I want to keep attached near.

Guess what..............some of the most dangerous people I've seen on the range have been trained (LE or Mil).
    So while training might be a good thing, don't count on it being of super benefit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... but what gets me is that especially us as guys we feel that if we don't know about guns we are less of a man somehow. My dad never taught me about guns growing up. I had to learn from mistakes and even near mishaps in my younger days.

That is a very good point sir! We need to find ways to communicate to others that we as guys were NOT born knowing how to drive, screw and shoot.

I'm a training proponent, but some things we need to educate as common sense. Safe firearms handling is one of them. The appropriate information is available without having to have someone hold your hand or risk injury with trial and error. We just have to convince people to seek it.

Of course there is the other side too. There are even INGO members who totally resent being suggested safety rules to the point of disparagement and name calling.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If so, maybe he'll come clean and tell us about the experience!

Some folks need to confess the stupid, looking for others to tell them "aw it's alright, we've all come close." :xmad:

It's no different than those Negligent Discharge threads that always end up with someone saying "If you shoot enough, it's not a matter of IF you shoot yourself, it's a matter of WHEN." Edit -I might have copied that quote wrong... :scratch: ;)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That is a very good point sir! We need to find ways to communicate to others that we as guys were NOT born knowing how to drive, screw and shoot.

I'm a training proponent, but some things we need to educate as common sense. Safe firearms handling is one of them. The appropriate information is available without having to have someone hold your hand or risk injury with trial and error. We just have to convince people to seek it.

Of course there is the other side too. There are even INGO members who totally resent being suggested safety rules to the point of disparagement and name calling.

I agree with you 100%

I have had the discussion about the four safety rules on here before and some don't think much of them. I just hope I am nowhere near them with a gun.

I was at a gun show in Elkhart and a guy working security for Gunslingers Promotions had his gun out showing it to a customer and waving it around at people before putting it back in his holster. I said dude your muzzle sweeping us. He said "naw I had it pointed down" All I could say was dumb redneck and left the building.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    how do you shoot yourself in the hand? its scary how people can guy guns without passing a proficiency test here. smdh

No, it isn't. What's scary is thinking about who would define the parameters of that test. I think Chicago requires one and it's virtually impossible to pass.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    You want to talk scary? I retired from a shoe repair shop. I made holsters as well. Had one guy come in, he wanted a holster for his new derringer. I asked him to show me it was empty, he did not know how to open the chamber. He got embarrassed and left. Another brought in a shoe with a small hole in the top and a large hole in the sole. Yep, had shot himself in the foot!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wow pretty tough crowd in here. The guy makes a huge mistake and the snide remarks come out. Shouldn't we be glad he was at least trying to get some practice and getting the younger guys involved?

What about saying "I hope he is OK and gets some traing" None of us are above making a mistake.
    Yeah, I'm "glad" that he was getting some practice in! And it's a good thing he didn't get "the younger guys (too) involved"!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've seen people, especially newbies try to rack a slide from the front. If you used the "overhand" (as opposed to slingshot) method on the front of a slide, most of your hand would be in front of the muzzle. If your shooting hand finger was in the trigger guard, I could see someone pulling the trigger and discharging the round. Look at a Walther P22 and it's front cocking serrations. Imagine doing an overhand rack of the slide with that gun, and picture in your mind where a good chunk of your hand would be, right in front of the muzzle.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    IDK bout yall or any method used that puts your hand in front of the muzzle for anything other than cleaning (after the weapon has been cleared), but there is no reason I can see for any excuse or sef-justified rationale to put your hand in front of the muzzle of a firearm, especially while at the range when shooting.

Not even while cleaning my weapon can I find any situation I put my hand or other part of my body in front of the barrel; not because I'm squeamish about shooting myself with air & a click, but simply because I have no reason or need to do so. All the controls are everywhere else!

I bet he was trying to make a point to the others "always know what condition it's in" or "22's dont hurt, watch!" then shoots his hand. Thats the best scenario I can come up with.

Top Bottom