• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its pretty nerve wracking to be having coffee with a friend in the shop when a guy walks up and shows an ID holder that says BATFE and states that he is there for a compliance inspection. Caught me TOTALLY off guard.

As nervous as I was though I am pretty diligant with my record keeping and only had one small infraction where I forgot to sign a 4473.

For those of you considering getting your FFL think about this while your at it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    random as far as i know yes.

this is the first in two years, but i know of FFL's that have had thier license for over 20 years w/out an inspection.

I did pretty good though i think, no follow ups, no fines, nothing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    random as far as i know yes.

this is the first in two years, but i know of FFL's that have had thier license for over 20 years w/out an inspection.

I did pretty good though i think, no follow ups, no fines, nothing.

thats good im just glad you didn't think it was a pratical joke like on days of thunder

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thats good im just glad you didn't think it was a pratical joke like on days of thunder

that would have been bad.

redneckmedic was here for coffee and to buy a chest freezer off me and got to see the first 45 minutes of it then he left.

ended up being around 2.5 hours the last half hour being going over the current rules and regs.

pretty nerve wracking when i dont have anybody to double check my work and am just assuming i am not making any clerical errors while i am doing it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IMHO, I doubt it was random.

well if it wasnt he didnt tell me he was looking for anything specific, and didnt ask questions.

seems pretty routine to me.

either way i am glad he came, my poster that i am required to keep up got torn down when i installed my lathe and had some oil spilled on it and i think it got thrown away, he was able to give me a new one and i learned a bit more about the ability to manufacter firearms. since i am a type 07 i can manufacture up to 50 a year w/out having to charge/pay excise tax.

i think inspections are more common w/ 07's because i can manufacture them and they probably want to keep on top of new firearms hitting the market.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    that would have been bad.

redneckmedic was here for coffee and to buy a chest freezer off me and got to see the first 45 minutes of it then he left.

ended up being around 2.5 hours the last half hour being going over the current rules and regs.

pretty nerve wracking when i dont have anybody to double check my work and am just assuming i am not making any clerical errors while i am doing it.

if matt just happened to be there my first thought would have been pratical joke

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Do you have plans to manufacture your own firearm? Would be pretty neat and challenging to make something different I would imagine in this day and age. Glad that the inspection went well.

Gillclaypot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Muncie,IN
    My ffl buddy lost his for 11 mos. He got them back this summer. Not a shocker he got them back but a shocker that they took 11 mos. They were fishing and could not find something I guess.Just wanting 25 years of paperwork???

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Its pretty nerve wracking to be having coffee with a friend in the shop when a guy walks up and shows an ID holder that says BATFE and states that he is there for a compliance inspection. Caught me TOTALLY off guard.

As nervous as I was though I am pretty diligant with my record keeping and only had one small infraction where I forgot to sign a 4473.

For those of you considering getting your FFL think about this while your at it.
    Good job. Glad the BATFE guy could not find much to mess with you about.:yesway:

Top Bottom