• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Its pretty nerve wracking to be having coffee with a friend in the shop when a guy walks up and shows an ID holder that says BATFE and states that he is there for a compliance inspection. Caught me TOTALLY off guard.

As nervous as I was though I am pretty diligant with my record keeping and only had one small infraction where I forgot to sign a 4473.

For those of you considering getting your FFL think about this while your at it.
    Sounds like the perfect inspection...... You left him a very small infraction with which he can show he is doing his job.
    I imagine they are very suspicious when they can't find anything! :):

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Heard or rather read in American Rifleman that during the Clinton Years. The ATF was being pressured to 'look' into FFL's more than normal.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can see inspections like this being necessary to keep some people honest, but I could also see someone impersonating BATF to gain access for nefarious reasons. Is there an established procedure to verify the identity of someone flashing a BATF badge?

This is not a rebuke of any kind. I'm just on the outside looking in, but if I were a FFL, I'd consider it my duty to do my due diligence about protecting those records from falling into the wrong hands. I'd also be concerned about someone using it as an excuse to case the place. Maybe I'm way off thinking this way, but I was just curious.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Suprtrek, not everything is a conspiracy. OK, maybe it is. I think a lot like you do it seems. There must be a way of checking credentials.

IGW, glad to hear they didn't find much and that you passed. With the laws and rules in place I understand it can be very difficult.:yesway:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I just went through one myself here recently. It is stressful. Only difference was mine lasted about 2 1/2 weeks.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just a guess but I wonder if ATF is trying to "Shine up their reputation" after the debacle of "fast and furious". Also Can one of these inspections Be promoted by a private citizen lodging a complaint?

Top Bottom