• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I think I can see the issues with carrying a gun with an exposed hammer for EDC. Primarily, I think there could be problems if the hammer gets caught up on anything. Any other issues? Is that something that could be mostly negated with the "right" holster?

Does anyone carry a "hammer" gun for EDC?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carried a 1911 for many years without ever getting the hammer hung up on anything, and it was cocked and locked at all time.

Other than pocket carry for revolvers with the big hammer spur, its not much of a concern. Picture where your hand goes on the draw stroke, what's it going to get hung up on?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ruger sp101 with a huge sharp serrated hammer...... When I draw from my pocket my thumb is on the hammer, makeing it snag-free. Since I will be cocking it back before I fire anyway, thumb on is the only way to draw.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    LOL, The first thing I thought of when I heard "hammer gun" was this:

6a00d83451b1b869e200e54f751de38833-800wi.jpg

Steel.jpg

All in all, I think Steel is one of Shaquille O'neal's best films. I don't know how the academy passed it up.:D

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    It is one drawback to hammer fire mechanisms, but I don't think it would be that much of a consideration in most carry methods. If you must have a hammer I know several major makes have carry versions with lower profiles. I can only see much of a problem in pocket carry, really.

As for me, the Walther PPS is striker fired, so I have no practical carry experience with hammers.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's funny, when an innovation comes along like striker fired guns, people just can't fathom what people used before them and therefore it must be wrong or improper on some strange level.

The fact is MANY of us carry "hammer guns" every day and I have never heard of a problem with doing it. In fact, the biggest problems I hear come from "trained" police officers carrying Glocks and having NDs because they are careless with them.

One story in particular comes from an EPD veteran that had a fellow officer discharge his Glock in the bathroom because he hung it up on the coathook by the trigger guard to do his business.

I have also seen the bullet holes in the training room at Eagle Creek where IMPD officers go to learn about their Glocks and to clean them after the range trip.

One MORE thing... I have a gun from 1903 that doesn't have an exposed hammer ;)

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    with practice and proper technique i never had problems drawing my sp101 with a hammer. like many people said i used my thumb to avoid any obstructions.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My Sigs have hammers, My 1911s have hammers, My Rugers have hammers, Infact I only own 1 Striker fired gun.

I prefer hammer guns but to each his own.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think I can see the issues with carrying a gun with an exposed hammer for EDC. Primarily, I think there could be problems if the hammer gets caught up on anything. Any other issues? Is that something that could be mostly negated with the "right" holster?

Does anyone carry a "hammer" gun for EDC?

Yes, S&W model 60.
    Which brings to mind

"If I had a hammer
    I'd hammer in the morning
    I'd hammer in the evening
    All over this land
    I'd hammer out danger
    I'd hammer out a warning
    I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
    All over this land"

Thanks

Mark

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I must be missing something... what could possibly be the issue with your gun having a hammer? Unless is pocket carry, I just can't imagine an issue.

I suppose a SA pistol carried cocked and locked might poke you in the side if your holster doesn't go up that high.

Top Bottom