• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As much as I appreciate what you are doing to polish the, um, Hi-Point...you really need to take that ring off while you are working. I've seen more than a few folks end up without ring fingers...or hands.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As much as I appreciate what you are doing to polish the, um, Hi-Point...you really need to take that ring off while you are working. I've seen more than a few folks end up without ring fingers...or hands.

If I take my finger skin off using a hand file something more serious is going on. lol

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Shiny... So now I have to decide. It's not stainless so really it should get a coating. It just feels wrong to cerakote this thing after putting in all this manual labor to smooth it out. But it is soft metal too so the shine wont last. So I know nothing about bluing, but i think it might be the answer once i get all the tool marks out of it, it should be able to take a deep blue like the gats of days gone by. (pour some out for those wingmasters that we lost).

I've been talking with the factory now also. They are hooking me up with all the broken bits and new springs. Pretty sweet. I'm going to do some work on the frame tonight I've had about all the dremeling i can handle for today.

rd5JmFD.jpg

z6fHXkx.jpg

RXL7Xrh.jpg

The new front sight profile is pretty slick

WrfNGQO.jpg

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Great project so far. I think you've got the right pistol for a first time project. My first experience with a Hi-Point was FTF or FTE each round, and having to extract rounds with my EDC knife.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    RE bluing: Not sure that material will take to bluing. I doubt the iron/steel content is high enough. BUT i've been wrong a few times before.

hpd855

Member From INGO's Early Days
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Haubstadt
    Zamak 3 (ASTM AG40A), or Zinc Alloy 3, is the most widely used zinc alloy in North America and is usually the first choice when considering zinc for die casting for a number of reasons.

• Excellent balance of desirable physical and mechanical properties
    • Superb castability and long-term dimensional stability
    • Excellent finishing characteristics for plating, painting, and chromate treatments
    • Excellent damping capacity and vibration attenuation in comparison to aluminum die cast alloys
    When it comes to die casting, Zamak 3 is the standard by which other zinc alloys are rated

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Will probably just polish it. Im not going to be carrying or really even shooting it with any regularity, strictly a problem solver. I am going to get the frame cerakoted.

No work on it today, my 11month old petri dish passed along some serious crud, so I'll be hunting down some wood grips

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I am just unsure. It is hard to watch but I must. I just have to.

Same here. It's interesting to see the work but feels dirty at the same time. It's like watching those pseudo-documentary shows about hoarders or eating disorders that make your life feel less messed up.

RE bluing: Not sure that material will take to bluing. I doubt the iron/steel content is high enough. BUT i've been wrong a few times before.

Bluing is an Iron oxide reaction. won't work with Zinc. Also the thing about the acid eating the Zinc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Zamak 3 (ASTM AG40A), or Zinc Alloy 3, is the most widely used zinc alloy in North America and is usually the first choice when considering zinc for die casting for a number of reasons.

• Excellent balance of desirable physical and mechanical properties
    • Superb castability and long-term dimensional stability
    • Excellent finishing characteristics for plating, painting, and chromate treatments
    • Excellent damping capacity and vibration attenuation in comparison to aluminum die cast alloys
    When it comes to die casting, Zamak 3 is the standard by which other zinc alloys are rated

Interesting and thanks.

Top Bottom