• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Went to buy a new pistol today, have a lifetime conceal permit, was told I have to wait 4 day delay. I said I thought the backround check for conceal permit was also good for handgun purchase. I was told no and was not informed of reason for delay. Is a delay on purchases becoming a normal thing to expect?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    your LTCH does not have anything to do with purchasing a firearm. You dont even need a LTCH to buy a handgun. Delays happen for a few reasons. They suck, but I wouldnt worry too much about it. Sorry to hear about your delay though, I am sure that is frustrating!

So...what did you get? :):

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    They now do "instant" background checks over the phone, and even if you have no permit, you can leave the store with the gun if you pass the "instant" check. However, if there are problems it sometimes takes longer. If you have nothing in your background that precludes you from owning a gun, some of the issues could be things like computer problems, a name similar to someone who has a rap sheet, etc. I have never had to wait, but I have heard that the "instant" check sometimes isn't so "instant"....

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I have never been delay until 9/11 ever since then I get delay all the time no rhyme or reason but once you get delay you can expect to get delay from here on out it sucks but that our government I know a guy who got the U pin no. it didn't help him any.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Went to buy a new pistol today, have a lifetime conceal permit, was told I have to wait 4 day delay. I said I thought the backround check for conceal permit was also good for handgun purchase. I was told no and was not informed of reason for delay. Is a delay on purchases becoming a normal thing to expect?

It's no big deal i always get delayed on purchase's from shops. It will happen everytime you buy from shops too. If you are delayed you will always be from now on unless you do the VAF forms from nics. Congrats on your new purchase, i know its a pain to wait but you should hear somthing soon when im delayed i get the proceed the very next day.Might be different for you but im always delayed because im a jr. and my father has a felony conviction, our name is the same besides the prefix.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

that sucks... background checks are a really bad idea

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...It will happen everytime you buy from shops too. If you are delayed you will always be from now on unless you do the VAF forms from nics.

Not the case. It can happen never, once, or several times.

I'm in that once category. Happened at a gun shop a few years ago.

I've purchased from gun shops since and not been delayed.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    that sucks... background checks are a really bad idea

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you for obvious reasons. Background checks do make it more difficult for criminals to obtain weapons, of course a motivated criminal is going to find a way to get a firearm anyway. Still, I'd rather not pass weapons out to those who really shouldn't have them.

I would rather see them do background checks but not keep a registry of who buys guns from a FFL. In other words if you go in to buy a gun they do the back ground search and verify that you are not a criminal, mentally ill, renounced citizen, etc... but thats all they do and they never record when, where, and what you are buying.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Not the case. It can happen never, once, or several times.

I'm in that once catagory. Happened at a gun shop a few years ago.

I've purchased from gun shops since and not been delayed.

Well i too didnt believe it when i heard it, But when 21st told me if i was delayed once then it will always happen. I thought i would prove it wrong guess what i went to midwest and got delayed the same amount of time as 21st. Now im a believer and like i posted may be different for the OP or anyone else. Wish i didnt have the problem but ill get the UPIN and hopfully fix it.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    i always use a ffl and order my firearms, but to answer the op question, they have to do a background check on EVERYONE regardless of their carry status..

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

did you enter your social security number on the form? I have always wondered about this. I have NEVER entered mine and have never been delayed (knock on wood), but they have always told me it helps with the check if you enter it.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I get it now. You're a troll.

Excuse me, I am new here. It takes a few days to find the trolls, so I can ignore them.

Sorry to have bothered you.

so far,,,in your short time here,,,ive seen you get behind lots of bad range rules and background checks...

this background check turns a right into a privilege,,,and can shut down all gun purchases in the us in a moment,,,but you support it...

ever shot a gun??? own a gun that isnt state issued??? ever send a donation to SAF???

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Did not enter SS# on the form-would have if I knew it might help. I've never had trouble buying guns or ammo before.

And what, pray tell, did you think that block which says "Social Security Number" meant - your litter registration form the AKC? And you wonder why you had a waiting period? Duh? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom