• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've put my SS# on the form since the first time I got checked. I've always been put on hold and sent to a real agent. My normal FFL says I"m the only one. Not sure why. On the first gun I purchased the real FBI agent (2nd person in line as the first one is a clerk...) asked for my soc# if I was willing to give it otherwise it would have been a 4-day. I gave it, and he approved. Must be some schmuck out there why my name.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    I know the UPIN has been a good fix for those who have gotten chronic delays.

Good luck with the process.

Yes i need it i did alot of reading on it and it sounds like it's 120-140 day delay. Infact i called them last Tuesday for the form's and yet to recieve them.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And what, pray tell, did you think that block which says "Social Security Number" meant - your litter registration form the AKC? And you wonder why you had a waiting period? Duh? :rolleyes:

The one time I was delayed I had filled in the SSN.

Other times I haven't and didn't get delayed.

I guess that optional block doesn't really mean so much, huh? :dunno:

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    With all the identity theft going on today, I am a little hesitant to just write my SS# on any form I fill out, I suspect that is also why the government made it voluntary--not mandatory

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm all for it.. i dont care if i have to wait or not.. i understand the inconvenience of waiting for the gun you want but i was at Cabellas the other day just minding my own and had a group of "thugs" walk up around me. they pointed at a glock and went ahead with the paper work.. they all smelled like marijuana and they were dressed like clowns.. I am glad they are looking out for everyone.. but at the same time done **** us good guys off that are just doing what we like to do... hope you like the new gun!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Since we are on the SSN topic, I don't use mine unless I have driven a distance, etc. Hasn't made a difference, but I suspect it might. If you are denied, I would certainly appeal it. I can't remember if you can get an approval thing for just being delayed, or if you have to be denied, but if you can, it might be a good idea.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I have a LTCH, a uncommon last name, and a uncommonly spelled first name. I always put my soc on the form. Got delayed once, seemingly a computer problem. No other issues.

Just saying that if it happens once, it does not mean you will always get delayed, sometimes it is just human error or a computer problem, not a flag on your record.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    And what, pray tell, did you think that block which says "Social Security Number" meant - your litter registration form the AKC? And you wonder why you had a waiting period? Duh? :rolleyes:

In my personal experience of calling them in and/or being a buyer myself, I've honestly found that it makes no difference.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My real name is Josh Smith.

Once I got denied a DRIVER'S LICENSE because I supposedly was suspended for a DUI in Illinois (I don't DUI and most definitely don't go to Illinois!)

When my name was flagged, I was there on out treated like a criminal by the BMV.

Funny thing is, I was buying guns during this time. NICS kicked up nothing.

Turns out the DUI was for a Josh Smith south of Indianapolis with a similar birth date and a SS# one digit off. I had to fax HUGE pics of my birth certificate, SS card, and expired driver's license to the State Police of the People's Republic of Illinois. For good measure I included a nice big picture of my carry permit and NRA membership card, my lawyer's business card and a few other items. :lol2:

They got right back to me that it was cleared up and sent papers next day air or whatever that I still have around here someplace :hehe:

Was treated like a criminal when I walked back into the BMV. I'm afraid I was a bit obnoxious in asking for the manager of the place to personally apologize for my treatment, and then rubbed salt in that wound when I was asking her why, if the NICS check didn't kick up anything, would I be subjected to the sort of treatment I had been? Supposedly all those systems are linked up one way or another.

Maybe I went too far. They just went by what was on their computer. But you should never assume that just because you read something, it's correct, and definitely should not get high and mighty, drunk on authority or whatever.

Never did get the written apology I asked for from the State of Indiana, though. Might have to pursue that one again... :rockwoot:

At any rate, if you have nothing in your past, be prepared to either receive your gun and put your SS# on the form next time, or appeal it.

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    ATM, if it weren't for your Master Po there and your lil' laughy face down at the bottom, I'd figure you were being serious :D

I just figure it's almost as common as "John Smith."

Josh

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The one time I was delayed I had filled in the SSN.

Other times I haven't and didn't get delayed.

I guess that optional block doesn't really mean so much, huh? :dunno:

Yeah, you have an option. You have the option of leaving the block blank and then wondering why the process has been delayed. :rolleyes:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I've put my SS# on the form since the first time I got checked. I've always been put on hold and sent to a real agent. My normal FFL says I"m the only one. Not sure why. On the first gun I purchased the real FBI agent (2nd person in line as the first one is a clerk...) asked for my soc# if I was willing to give it otherwise it would have been a 4-day. I gave it, and he approved. Must be some schmuck out there why my name.

wow i work on saturdays in a gun shop and in over two years and i've never had one fbi employee ask for a ssn!!!!!

i tell people that if they dont have to fill in their ssn# and to only fill it out if someone with the same name as them has caused them problems in the past i.e. if your name is bill smith expect a further review and maybe even a delay (its 3 business days, and after the 3rd day the dealer can transfer the gun to you, but that does not mean that fbi or atf wont knock on your door later and pick it up if you lied on the form ...its happened)

the delay does not always take 3 days, the fbi can call back later and give a ok or deny, ive had calls the next day with a ok to transfer(even on saturdays!) and ive had calls weeks later with a deny and at that point i have to find the 4473 and give address info to the fbi.

i've even had atf denial AFTER fbi approval (a person purchased two handguns,and after we faxed over the multiple handgun sale form AND he waited the 3 day delay, the atf contacted us and said he was a felon)

now that said, ive had people give their ssn and get delayed, and had people not give their ssn and be approved!

hell i ALWAYS get sent for further review, but always get approved(after the further review)

its my understanding that indiana's background check for a ltch isn't as strict as the fbi's approval to purchase a firearm(so thats why the ffl dosent need to see your ltch i.e. "handgun permit") and in kentucky if you have their license to carry a concealed deadly weapon(their permit) there is no call to the fbi at all :dunno:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    On target. Fire for effect! :D

and another gun owner in favor of background checks is heard from...

so much for the RIGHT to keep and bear arms... looks like you were never behind that...and aint never gonna be behind that

kagnew,,,i opened up a poll for you and your anti buddies over on the 2A forum... go vote for the background checks you like so much... i really need to know just how bad gun owners are ate up with these anti ideas...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom