• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbeattie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Went to buy a new pistol today, have a lifetime conceal permit, was told I have to wait 4 day delay. I said I thought the backround check for conceal permit was also good for handgun purchase. I was told no and was not informed of reason for delay. Is a delay on purchases becoming a normal thing to expect?

I believe 2003 was the last time your carry permit was as good as the NCIS check. All my experiences have been smooth and quick.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    delay

IMO it has to do with job security. They can't pass everyone all the time?
    Also I heard if the person on the phone with the dealer, makes a small fopa like spells name wrong, it causes a delay.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i always use a ffl and order my firearms, but to answer the op question, they have to do a background check on EVERYONE regardless of their carry status..

A friend that is a State Trooper was attending some training at their headqurters. He went to a gunstore after work in his uniform with his marked car. ISP just went to Glocks the first time and he was "trying" to buy a Glock subcompact. He got delayed.
    Not that we didn't give him a hard time about it!!!

The FEDS just don't make sense

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    When my name was flagged, I was there on out treated like a criminal by the BMV.

[...]

Was treated like a criminal when I walked back into the BMV. I'm afraid I was a bit obnoxious in asking for the manager of the place to personally apologize for my treatment, and then rubbed salt in that wound when I was asking her why, if the NICS check didn't kick up anything, would I be subjected to the sort of treatment I had been? Supposedly all those systems are linked up one way or another.
    Not defending the BMV, but I have seen some of the individuals that they have to deal with. Saw one guy swear up and down (LOUDLY!!!) that he had no points on his license and proceeded to question the parentage of every clerk in the office. The clerk made a call to Indy to find out what was going on as their computer simply showed him suspended, but not the reason why. Come to find out, the guy was 20-something years old, had numerous tickets for driving while having never received a license. To him it made perfect sense that he couldn't have any points on his license because he had never received a license, so it was "all BS" that they wouldn't let him get a license.

And about the computers... Yep, they are connected, just in the reverse of what you think. When the BMV runs a SSN it flags it to SSA against their database. If there is a problem with that SSN then it blocks most transactions that the BMV can run. It does not give the BMV any info as to the problem(s), it simply shows an error on the BMV computer and the clerk informs the customer to contact SSA to resolve the problem.

And before anyone asks again, no, the BMV does not have the ability to see if you an LTCH or not.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Yes i need it i did alot of reading on it and it sounds like it's 120-140 day delay. Infact i called them last Tuesday for the form's and yet to recieve them.

When I applied for my UPIN it took 150 days to receive it. The same day that I received it, I purchased a gun, & wasn't delayed. Previously I had 3 delays. It's worth the wait.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    Probably just a fluke if you don't have a record. I've bought three hand guns from the same store in the last three years and the first and last ones I got instantly. The second one I had to wait. Doesn't seem to be any reason most of the time.

Top Bottom