• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Really I think the bottom line here is that this is something that is extremely difficult to really scientifically test because we can't just go out and force a bunch of people to get into gunfights of various calibers.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Really I think the bottom line here is that this is something that is extremely difficult to really scientifically test because we can't just go out and force a bunch of people to get into gunfights of various calibers.

Why not?

The CIA supplies arms to people around the world all the time. They could change up the various calibers with a fair supply of ammunition.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Would you take a .22lr over say, a #2 pencil and Bic Pen?

A .22lr to the nasal ocular junction is a rather effective way to stop an assailant. And usually only takes one shot.

How would a 230gr +9 .45acp been any more effective than the .40 S&W then police were using? :)

Where is this "nasal ocular junction"? Is that somewhere around Trafalgar?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Where is this "nasal ocular junction"? Is that somewhere around Trafalgar?

That would be the shot right above Ivan's nose. Made from my IWB holster, DA, 10 yards, less than 2 seconds from Sean's "go" signal. Lethal Weapon style.

The other headshots are Sean's "jealosy" shots, trying to duplicate it :D

The key, when you make a cool shot like that, is to just shrug it off like it's something you can do all the time. Gotta maintain the "do it every day, and twice on Sunday's" image, ya know!

Shooting4-11-10007.jpg

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I'd stick to the two main points of caliber selection:

1. "Get the most powerful gun that you can still conceal and shoot quickly and accurately."

and

2. "Master the headshot." (Just in case.)

Between those two and the obvious points of proper training and solid ammo selection, that should cover just about everything. :draw:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Regardless of what round you carry, what caliber you carry, mall nijery engaged in, 5.56 vs. 7.62 and other gibberish, it comes down to HAVING the gun. We joke at the range about my P32, yet lots of folks carry one. HAVING a gun instead of no gun is the key. ANY weapon is better than hands: I've been mugged twice, the second time, a knife was VERY handy...

Pistol rounds are, by physics, poor stoppers. They will kill, but to stop immediantly is a bit of a far reach. I can stress myself out, run a few laps, drink energy drinks, rile myself up to try to get that same adrenaline level as a panic situation, but it will not be close enough in order to train for the "headshot". I think alot of folks over estimate thier abilities at a "standing" range and think they are a shooting ace. My movement drill targets have quite a few "grazing" shots in the head, nothing a dead ringer for nasal/ocular. But the heart area is damaged beyond repair :D.

The most powerful caliber in my mind: Awareness. Stay out of a fight, steer clear of anything dangerous.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Disposable Heart makes a couple of very valid points. We ALWAYS WIN the fight we stay out of. I'm not talking about Mall Ninja-ry Situational Awareness as much as common sense. (Although I am an EXPERT mall ninja ;) )..
    Also true about the difference between having a P32 and having nothing. As easy as they are to conceal, I'd take the P32 or the P3AT (or yes, even an LCP... quit whining now..) every time. We'd all like to be able to carry .45 elephant loads all the time, but realistically, a mouse gun just makes sense a lot of the time.

Top Bottom