• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    One handgun I regret not buying was a Walther P99 James Bond edition in 40 (This is when everyone still loved the 40). It was at Alboro's for around $600 dollars.
    You can't touch one today. Here is an old link to the one I'm talking about.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/933049646/Rare-James-Bond-P99-9mm-collectors-pistols.htm

The link is for the 9mm version, which I didn't even know existed. Anyway you get the idea. At the time I didn't have the extra money to own safe queens.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Smith and Wesson Model 27, with the 3.5 inch bbl. Sold it in 1982 right after getting married.

Oh man. It hurts to read this. Smith designed that dude during the gangster era to give the cops a boost in their fight against the bad guys. It was meant to be a true gunfighter's gun. My lack of one represents a huge hole in my collection.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have my share of these stories. I traded a Makrov to my friend for a Ruger MK2 and some cash. Regretted losing my Makarov, liked the Ruger. I traded a Mauser for the Mak and got it back. One day I will get another M48.
    I got rid of a M1 Carbine and SKS to pay for college, still wish I had them.
    I rented a used M95 Detective at my lgs. There you can rent their used guns. I didn't put it on layaway even though it was a hoy to shoot. I came back and it was gone. I went back again recently and surprisingly it was on the shelf. Shot it again and put it on layaway.
    I sold an AK74 that I still regret to this day, it will be replaced prpbably next year.
    Those are the ones I can think of now

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I hear these stories all the time. I am a shooter. Guns are mechanical things that wear out like anything else. I buy sell trade all the time to keep things fresh. If I don't put a hand on them in a years time they get sold. If they show some wear they get sold. Great investments and I have never lost a dime.

First time I shot a Glock 21 my pistol collection went up for sale. Glock is all I shoot now. All the money was reinvested in hand loading components to feed the Glock. Only regret is not doing it many years ago. Best decision I ever made was to sell off and consolidate to a total utility gun. Long guns are in the process of the same thing. Still have a few to sell off.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, sniper I know where you are coming from. In the end, it's a tool. I had a no sale policy after I sold those I mentioned up thread because I was sorry I let them go.

In recent years though, I have been doing a lot moving, consolidating calibers and thinning of the herd.

I do however, have a lot of safe queens. Not because I don't want to shoot them, but because I don't get out much to shoot. Wish I did more, but that is my life. I have now gotten to a point that I'm not adding anything else to my safe. I have one more pistol on order and if that works out, that will be my sole shooter as far as events.

I will always keep my S&W revolvers because I like them so much and when I take them to the range with friends/family they really enjoy shooting them.

If my newest pistol(should be here in a few weeks) is all it is said to be, my 1911 may be put up there with my revolvers.

But I am good moving forward. I have a house to renovate and a retirement pending in about 10 years if all works out. Any discretionary income needs to be spent on actually shooting them vs adding more to the safe.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I had one of the first Colt Pocket 9's, circa 1998, and I was fortunate that mine worked and I had a few magazines for it. It was traded towards a Wilson CQB. I wish I could have afforded both.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Had some tax trouble a few years back when I lived in Idaho after my divorce. Ended up selling the majority of my S&W revolver collection to pay them off.
    Couple of the guns sold off:

S&W Mod 27 3.5" barrel
    S&W Model 12 4"
    S&W Model 12 2"
    S&W Model 15 2"
    S&W Model 15 4" (not rare, but slicked up really nice!)

Another I foolishly let slip away was a 4" Python a guy traded me for a SKB O/U shotgun. Python needed a back sight and I didn't want to mess with it. If I had known what Pythons are going for theses days....sheesh!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I had a guy that owed me money, he was offering guns in trade. He offered me up a Colt python nickel plated 6" in box with the yellow tissue paper still wrapped around the gun. He offered it to me for $750. I passed. Went to buy it 2 years later and he had decided to keep it.

A LGS had a Colt anaconda for sale for $500. I passed it up and found me a S&W 629.

Those are the two non-purchases I regret the most.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Colt Cobra. Bought at Ludco's for $400 many years ago. Looked just like this one except mine had a chopped hammer and added a silver Tyler-T grip.

iu

Next is a S&W model 10. It was one of the RHPD guns that came back. It was rebuilt by Smith and given a satin nickle finish. Bought for $179. Blue ones were $150. Similar to this one.

iu

Let go of a S&W model 19 2 1/2". I don't remember what I paid for it but it was way less than what they go for now. Was just like this one except had Hogue grips.

iu

My collection from this point out is going to change. I'm going to focus more on higher quality guns and older Smiths like these again. I've got enough plastic stuff.

Each one of those made me hurt out loud! (If that even makes sense!)

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I managed a pawn shop back in 1997. A guy came in at the end of the day and said his wife gave him an ultimatum to get rid of his handgun by the end of the day. It was Colt 1911 stamped US Government. It had an upgraded barrel and an adjustable trigger. He sold it to the store for $100. I could have easily given the store $150 and taken it home. I'm not a .45 guy, so I passed. Dumb.

What was the other end of the deal? He should have kept that gun

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A long, long time ago, I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 mag, as well as it`s baby brother, a Single Six hunter, a .22 convertable. Both wonderful, beautiful SS revolvers. Wish I had them both back!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I once, in a moment of 'gun-lust' traded away a 2.75" Stainless Ruger Security-Six in .357 magnum that was in 'pristine' condition!

Pulled my head out of my butt and went back a week later (I missed him 2 days in a row) to buy it back and it had sold that very morning!

My wife once traded away a Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380 acp (her first gun) for a Glock 26 (back in 2006) and she still wishes she had the Beretta back!

Her current EDC is a H&K P2000SK 9mm, which she shoots very well and absolutely loves...but she still wishes she still had the .380 back (although part of it may be 'sentimental' thinking as it was her first gun?) We traded it when $$ were tight and it was the 'logical' thing to do...but still?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Colt Trooper 6" .357 mag., Colt Mustang, S&W Model 29 6", Beretta 92FS Sig P229. There have been others but these come to mind first. Especially the Colts and S&W.

Top Bottom