Handguns VS Long Guns. Which do you shoot more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Long Guns. Anybody can shoot a handgun and hit something but I like the act of reaching out and "touching something" from 800-1000 yards away. Do that with a handgun.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Practical skills with handguns take a lot more practice to develop and maintain than practical skills with long guns. I enjoy shooting both, but I shoot handguns more.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Long guns are fun, but really mall ninjy, especially carbines.

Pistols are what most of us should concentrate upon, shotguns probably next.:)

Why do you ask, love? What does being practical have to do with gun ownership?:laugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Long guns are fun, but really mall ninjy, especially carbines.

Pistols are what most of us should concentrate upon, shotguns probably next.:)

Why do you ask, love? What does being practical have to do with gun ownership?:laugh:

:D

I shoot my handguns more than my long guns. Simply because I need the practice, and my EDC is also my HD weapon. And my pistol is what I'll grab before anything else. My shotgun is my HD backup.

I AM saving cash to make another gun purchase. I'm just not sure if I want to buy another pistol or a rifle. :D

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm going to say 50-50 ,maybe 60-40 for the handgun. Usually If I have one out I have both. Since I got the AR, I'd say I've been shooting it most of the long guns with the M1A a close 2nd and the Garand bringing in 3rd place.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    75%/25% Handguns to long guns. I like to shoot both and shotgun too but handguns have been my main sport for a long time. First, I carry a handgun every day, rifle not so often. Second, something about the power in the small size and conceal-ability of a handgun. 'Course they're not much use beyond 200 meters or so.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Long guns

Probably 99% of our shooting is with scoped rifles from a bench. You don't get a lot of hand gun prairie dog shots. We shoot handguns just enough to remain semi-proficient.

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Probably about 50/50 because when I go to the range I bring both. I agree with a few posters above. It is much more enjoyable and challenging to shoot long guns. I'm content to be proficient at 15 yds with quick followups with my handgun should I need it at home for self defense, but that is the extent of my interest. Handguns for me are tools, whereas long guns are both tools and my hobby.

Top Bottom