Handguns VS Long Guns. Which do you shoot more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    50/50 I shoot cowboy action, we shoot 10 rounds from 2 handguns and 10 rounds from rifle at each stage. Then we add 4 to 8 from the shotgun. I practice the same way.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    It depends on the time of year. This time of year, hunting season, I'm shooting my rifles more. Practicing to make the one shot in the woods I let my handgun shooting slack off a little. After hunting season, I take up my handguns again. During the summer, I'm about 50/50.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I shoot about 70/30 handguns vs rifle. They are very different actions for me. Handguns are more motor skill dependent with brainpower thrown in where as rifles are more brainpower with motor skills thrown in. Skill with a handgun is a skill that I NEED to have, but skill with a rifle is skill that I really WANT to have. More range time with either is a win no matter how I look at it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One should master the gun that they always have with them. After that, they can work on the specialized stuff.
    For most of us, that means handguns should come first.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I probably shoot my ruger markIII 22/45 more than anything. It is way too much fun. Thinking about getting a target model next.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I usually try to split it up about 50/50. Some days it kind of depends on the mood. I always start with handguns and then move to long guns. Some days I just have so much fun with one or the other it ends up being 80/20 one way or the other. I just love to shoot! :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like shooting both, probably enjoy rifle more, but shoot handgun more often due to range location.

Long Guns. Anybody can shoot a handgun and hit something but I like the act of reaching out and "touching something" from 800-1000 yards away. Do that with a handgun.

Do it with iron sights on your rifle. Shooting a rifle with a big scope, bench rested, isn't exactly that tough either.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Currently handguns; too hard to find range with more that 50 yards. Since CAS shooting this summer, the longgun has picked up some, but there again, close range. The wife and I are both wanting a Sharps rifle, so will be looking for some place to shoot long range if that come about. -- Grizhicks

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    i shoot by myself it is mostly hand guns but i take my grandson a lot and we really burn up a ;ot of rifle ammo as well as black powder too. so i guess long guns wins

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Long Guns. Anybody can shoot a handgun and hit something but I like the act of reaching out and "touching something" from 800-1000 yards away. Do that with a handgun.

Trying right now, with my 500. Seen the video of John Ross' friend taking his 500 and hitting a 50 gal drum @ 700 yrds.
    Soon as my molds come in from NOE, I'll be trying to replicate.

Just had to throw that in, but you're right on long range, on the reach out and touch something.

But for me...handguns all the way.

Top Bottom