• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Indiana Bars Sell Alcohol At Reduced Prices During Specific Times Of Day?

• Total voters

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hell yes I want happy hour!!!

1) Don't tell me how to Freedom!!!
    2) As a bar owner, I'd be more inclined to offer a really sweet drink special for 2 hours instead of the whole day. Instead of "$3.50 domestics!!!" like that's supposed to be good???

As it currently stands we really don't have drink "specials" we just have over priced drinks advertised as being special. Unless you live in a college town. Then that **** is legit. Terre Haute is one of the best drinking towns I have ever been in.

The only place I see bucking this trend is Applebee's where kool-aid, oops, I mean "Long Islands" are $1.00 right now.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    What was it called, Music Mill? In Keystone. Used to pay $5 to walk in the door, then had nickel beers - or was it penny beers? Either way, you could get way too far gone for $6, $10 if you tip.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What was it called, Music Mill? In Keystone. Used to pay $5 to walk in the door, then had nickel beers - or was it penny beers? Either way, you could get way too far gone for $6, $10 if you tip.

God bless America!!! Where making bad choices and dealing with the consequences on your own is still allowed (for the present...)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Exactly.
    Do that many people really need a mommy (govt) to tell them how to act and behave and live life? I believe in natural selection and that we need to let stupid people die off not help them live longer to screw all of us.

Seriously? In today's world? (In response to your first question, your follow up statement takes care of my response:rockwoot:)

John Wayne was right; Stupid SHOULD hurt!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is interesting, never thought to would go this way. I am philosophically opposed to the law, libertarian leanings, while enjoying the benefit personally. The typical 8-5er gets the deal while folks that work later or a different shift do not get to enjoy. I like getting the drink specials when I want them...
    That's called rent keeping. That's what the liquor store lobby did to keep Sunday sales illegal. "I can't efficiently benefit if this law is removed, so I'm going to fight it." In their case, they pretended to be morally pious, but everyone saw through that BS and in the end it was, "We'll lose jobs if this happens!" Nothing scares politicians like loss of jobs.

The only place I see bucking this trend is Applebee's where kool-aid, oops, I mean "Long Islands" are $1.00 right now.

You can't be bringing that weak stuff up in dis house!

Every year we celebrated a birthday at Carlos O'Kelleys. We were dumb and uncultured, but even then we realized the food was lame, but the Long Island Iced Teas were tall and strong. I had two once and walked tge half mile home to try and sober up.

Now back to the topic.

MADD was founded in 1980, and in the eighties there was a big push against drunk driving*. If that's the original reasoning, it's a lot less valid today with the proliferation of ride sharing.

* My little brother wouldn't let my mom drink her fast food pop in the car because he saw on TV that drinking and driving will turn you into a skeleton.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    When did We the People give government the power to say how much a business can charge for a product it sells?

When did we give the government the power to say how long the doors to a business may remain open during the day?

Serious questions and if you believe that all rights are individual and the only rights government was granted are enumerated in the Federal and State constitutions, then there should be no laws regarding pricing or business hours.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When did We the People give government the power to say how much a business can charge for a product it sells?

Didn't you read this thread? ;)

When did we give the government the power to say how long the doors to a business may remain open during the day?
    From looking at the law, it's hard to tell because of all the amendments. My guess is 1973.

Serious questions and if you believe that all rights are individual and the only rights government was granted are enumerated in the Federal and State constitutions, then there should be no laws regarding pricing or business hours.

The regulation of alcohol has long been considered valid. Just like medicine and medical service, and just like firearms, and just like...

I'm arguing that it's an ineffective and draconian law, not that it's unconstitutional. I'm not saying it is, or is not, just saying you can't win with that tactic.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Didn't you read this thread? ;)

From looking at the law, it's hard to tell because of all the amendments. My guess is 1973.

The regulation of alcohol has long been considered valid. Just like medicine and medical service, and just like firearms, and just like...

I'm arguing that it's an ineffective and draconian law, not that it's unconstitutional. I'm not saying it is, or is not, just saying you can't win with that tactic.

You mostly covered it. I believe part of the bargain struck in the 21st amendment time was that the legalized alcohol would be taxed and heavily regulated. The states had more power then so many regulations were at the state level and that regulation continues today.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

When it is alcohol. Have you not seen minimum state pricing signs? Alcohol is highly regulated, including those that sell it or even just serve it. And if drunk driving were perceived to jump because a lot of bars were offering dirt cheap drinks, it would be no surprise to me to see minimum cocktail and beer prices

Again it alcohol regulations. Bars must stop selling alcohol at 3AM.

All this started about 100 years ago, nothing new here, if one wanted to sell alcohol. Nobody much cares if you sell finger spinners...

See comments above...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hell yes I want happy hour!!!

1) Don't tell me how to Freedom!!!
    2) As a bar owner, I'd be more inclined to offer a really sweet drink special for 2 hours instead of the whole day. Instead of "$3.50 domestics!!!" like that's supposed to be good???

As it currently stands we really don't have drink "specials" we just have over priced drinks advertised as being special. Unless you live in a college town. Then that **** is legit. Terre Haute is one of the best drinking towns I have ever been in.

So you want NO regulations on the production, distribution, and sale of alcohol?

Do you believe that if you offered 2), that during that time customers would not drink more? Isn't the purpose of a business offering a sale to increase sales?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So you want NO regulations on the production, distribution, and sale of alcohol?

Do you believe that if you offered 2), that during that time customers would not drink more? Isn't the purpose of a business offering a sale to increase sales?
    I want no regulation correct. I actually do not support a drinking age either. We've turned alcohol into this big bad monster in this country.
    Anytime you make something forbidden fruit, people are gonna have to try it. You think a drinking law stops kids from drinking? Hell no it doesn't. Parents should know where and what their damn CHILDREN are doing at all times period. I hear people say, well I dont want to be overbearing and in their business and space all the time. NEWSFLASH ... DIT DIT DIT DIT DIT ... DIPSH1TS, THATS YOUR FREAKING JOB AS A PARENT!! KEEP your legs closed and your Johnson in your pants if you xant handle the immense responsibility! Children are not your equals. Their "feelings" do not matter. Only their safety, well being and education to become productive and good people!
    What it comes down to just like drugs and even food is that some people have no self control of the mind.
    With food the impacts are less immediate and so a lot of us myself included are ok with some consequences of overeating or eating the wrong things.
    With drugs, I believe people have a weak mind. I do not believe the BS of it being a disease. Maybe your genetics are weak and yeah you may have a family history of submitting to your vices and choosing them over more important things but no, it's not a disease. It's a choice. We give people today too many damn excuses and pity parties.
    If you don't know how to handle your drugs or alcohol or whatever then dont ****ing do them period.
    The idea that you can blame a happy hour or drink specials on being a damn drunk is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. This is what's wrong with our damn government and population and why more laws will NEVER fix anything. People need to fix themselves.
    Yep, flame on.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I want no regulation correct. I actually do not support a drinking age either.
    Yep, flame on

No health and safety regulations to protect assure purity and safety of the product? Just anyone can build a still and start selling?

Agree on age, under 18 parents responsibility for any drinking, after they are an adult...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    No health and safety regulations to protect assure purity and safety of the product? Just anyone can build a still and start selling?

Agree on age, under 18 parents responsibility for any drinking, after they are an adult...

They do that now, and have been for years and years. :dunno:

As a consumer, I know I'll get a better quality product from a reputable company (let's go with Jim Beam) rather than Bubba down in the holler. It is my decision to make if I want to buy my Beam at the store, or go through the grape vine to get Bubba's home made white lightnin'.

Church bake sale: grandma made cookies to help out and accidentally sneezed in the batter while mixing them up. She still puts them on the plate and sells them to a nice family. Kid eats the cookies and now has the flu. Should grandma's cookies be regulated?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Sure why not. If you sell people poison I guess you're going to jail for murder or whatever else.
    I dont believe in all this licensing bs we have for a lot in this country. All most of it is was a way for rich business owners to push out competition and line the pockets of politicians. Still is

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They do that now, and have been for years and years. :dunno:

As a consumer, I know I'll get a better quality product from a reputable company (let's go with Jim Beam) rather than Bubba down in the holler. It is my decision to make if I want to buy my Beam at the store, or go through the grape vine to get Bubba's home made white lightnin'.

Church bake sale: grandma made cookies to help out and accidentally sneezed in the batter while mixing them up. She still puts them on the plate and sells them to a nice family. Kid eats the cookies and now has the flu. Should grandma's cookies be regulated?
    Exactly. I AS THE CONSUMER SHOULD HAVE THE ABSOLUTE CHOICE. I dont need uncle sammy making my choices for me.
    That is not freedom.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another interesting thread fact. At this time 22 have voted, 17 no regulations, 5 to keep it. But, there have been 391 views, that a few of us have been here several times accounts for some of that but that a likely 300 members chose not to vote. That is also a vote that the status quo is not affecting them enough that they care?

Top Bottom