• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    giphy.gif

Well, you got a point... and sound like a Puritan.

He has Andy Griffith in his avatar. The only way he'd be more puritan, was if it was Donna Reed, Timmy from Lassie, or Robert Young.

Dobie Gillis? What a slacker

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He has Andy Griffith in his avatar. The only way he'd be more puritan, was if it was Donna Reed, Timmy from Lassie, or Robert Young.

Dobie Gillis? What a slacker

Dobie Gillis hung out with a beatnik loser who nearly fainted at the sound of the word "work".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To be fair, this predates Hallmark.

I learned about it in the 90s when I lived in San Antonio.

To be fair, I didn't say it was a Hallmark holiday, I said it was made up and Hallmark would approve. Along with all those other made up holidays starting with Mothers Day signed in by Pres. Wilson.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too think this should be a more widely celebrated day. Though I look forward with dread to when the furniture and electronics stores start having Juneteenth sales.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Another contortion of history to establish a federal holiday and take a jab at the South.

The propaganda tells us this is the day when union soldiers "rode into Texas and freed the last of the slaves"....you know, that being the reason the union fought the war.

Absolute bull****.

Slavery was still legal and people were still held as slaves well past that date in the "union" states.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Can we drop President's Day as a condition to adding this?

we do not need more federal holidays, no matter the reason

also... i suspect it's june and called "independence" as a means to make it the black July 4 and foment further racial divide

if I were held captive i'm not sure my release would be celebrated as independence. Maybe liberation?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well look on the bright side.
    At least it doesn't require our flag to be at half mast.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't forget it freed White, Latino and Indian slaves as well. It on paper ended slavery period not race specific. Yes there were White, Latino, and Indian slaves in American territory.
    I'm wondering if it would apply to Native American tribes. They were considered separate nations, weren't they? Anyway, Happy Juneteenth!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Been giving this some thought, bear with me…

I’m not going to ramble on for six paragraphs about how every full-time (and regular part-time employee scheduled to work on 19 June) will require a timecard correction. Nor will I provide excellent analysis on how this will affect military manning requirements (it will…) You’re welcome ;)

Slavery is not new. The Egyptian pyramids weren’t built with union labor after all. Unlike other places around the world, this Country fought a war to end it. From some numbers I’ve seen if it was fought with today’s population there’d be 6.2 million dead. Possible understatement of the year: that’s a lot of dead people.

My concern is with where we are as a Country right now. This day should be to recognize the sacrifice of those who came before us and the freedom we enjoy. I fear this will be just another springboard for opportunistic Marxists. Let’s face it, the only thing Marxism brings is starvation and genocide. The world has enough of that already.

Would 1968 have been worse with the 24-hour news cycle and social media? I’m thinking yes. I was 3 in 68, so I don’t know if people had lost their collective **** like we see today.

Back to the 11th (they/the news media keep saying this is the 12th Federal Holiday, they/the news media are wrong) Federal Holiday: I have no problem with it. I have great concern about where the Country is headed, and another day the mail is not delivered won’t help.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of mail, did you hear the whining of our state black caucus leader yesterday? She rambled on and on about how awful it was that the post office didnt close. Lady, they dont do ANYTHING fast. You expect them to decide to make a major change to operations with 24 hours notice? Not happening. The only thing they do fast is deciding out of the blue to not deliver your mail on a random day because they are too busy.

And these are the people that are so lazy, they will literally tell you to pound sand because "Its not my job. I'm not doing it.". LSS I needed a picture for an NFA app. Stopped on a day they do passports. Nope the guy that does passports is off Wednesdays and Saturdays (both listed passport days). The insufferable c*** behind the counter refused to do the simple job a 6yo could do because its not her job to take pictures. If you have ever seen the cameras, its hilarious (in an infuriating way) because all they have to do is line up your head and shoulders inside the bust shaped outline on the display and push a button. Then they put the camera on the charging base and it automatically spits out the prints. Its not like it takes special skills.

Top Bottom