• ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Ah, there are so many.

For rum, my favorite is Rhum Barbancourt. Take that one for what it's worth.

Whiskies, I know a bit about.

For rye, I prefer Sazerac, Russel's Reserve, or Michter's, but Bulleit makes a nice one as well and really, the Jim Beam is not horrible - they make a better rye than they do a bourbon.

For Irish whiskey, I suggest Red Breast.

Too many bourbon favorites -

Wild Turkey Tribute, Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle (the 23 yo is too expensive for me, but the 20 yo is very nice), Elijah Craig (12 yo is a better bargain than the 18 yo), Booker's, Baker's, Blanton's, Basil Hayden's, A.H. Hirsch, Harrison (from Indiana), Ezra B., Wathen's, Rowan Creek...

All of these are top notch bourbons. Some are softer and sweeter (the wheated bourbons), others are hotter and spicier (the rye bourbons). You definitely will have to find which of the differing bourbon characters are more to your taste.

I keep trying to like Scotches, and I am partial to a Brookladdich, but I don't drink them like I do the above whiskies.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    Whiskey - has to be Irish, triple distilled, plus has to be the 12 year old stuff.

I worked in Ireland for a year and the locals got me started on 12 year old Powers. That is my favorite, but it is impossible to find in the US. (they keep the best for themselves )
    12 year old Red Breast and Jamison is good also, but still like my Powers better.

You also have to splash a little water on it to activate the taste, brings out the smoothness.

Before I went to Ireland, I was Scotch drinker, have not touched it since.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    thank you guys I have taken all the suggestions into consideration...I don't mind the cheap kentucky wiskey at all but looking for something maybe a little more sweet to drink or more flavored...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love my Jim Beam
    Crown Royal is good
    Makers Mark is nice

Buchanans is amazing
    Johnnie Walker = :rockwoot:

Love me some liquor :D

Last edited:

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Jack Daniels Black & Green Label, Gentlemen Jack & the occasional J.D.Single Barrel. All on the rocks and chilled.

I'm a big Jack fan, if you couldn't tell! :D

American honey isn't bad. I drink it chilled from the freezer straight up. If you don't want it straight up, mix it with some pineapple juice and sprite. That seems to be the crowd favorite at the last few shindigs I've hosted.

If you want to shy away from the J.D. brand (if you so dare), Woodford Reserve is a very good bourbon.

If your pocketbook will allow it, grab some Johnnie Walker Blue Label or even Sam Adams Utopia (if you can find it). Both are very excellent.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I drank enough makers mark in college to fill a small pool... it is a easy to get into that type of alcohol if like.

I would shy away from some of the others mentioned until you get a taste for it... like the knob creek and wild turkey. They have a bigger bite!

In my cabinet now there is:

Eagle Rare single barrel
    Makers mark
    Woodford reserve
    Pappy Van Winkle's 20yr
    Basil Hayden's 8yr

Now for my suggestions for you:
    Captain Morgan Tattoo
    Jagermeister
    Wild Turkey American Honey

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I am not much of a Whiskey person, but I really like Southern Comfort chilled and straight. But awesome in Dr Pepper.
    I more of a tequila person. I absolutely love the Don Julio line of tequila. Patron Silver is also very good. I would suggest Margaritaville Lime tequila to 1st time tequila drinkers, on the sweet side and a lime taste.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am not much of a Whiskey person, but I really like Southern Comfort chilled and straight. But awesome in Dr Pepper.
    I more of a tequila person. I absolutely love the Don Julio line of tequila. Patron Silver is also very good. I would suggest Margaritaville Lime tequila to 1st time tequila drinkers, on the sweet side and a lime taste.

Don Julio is amazing... Had it in Mexico and brought all I was allowed to back with me. I think it was about $14 for a fifth!!!

I think it's in the $40-$50 range here but even worth that much.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Don Julio is amazing... Had it in Mexico and brought all I was allowed to back with me. I think it was about $14 for a fifth!!!

I think it's in the $40-$50 range here but even worth that much.

:yesway:
    Don Julio is the better of the tequilas I have tried over the years. I'm not a huge tequila fan, but if I must drink it, this is what I choose.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Ah, there are so many.

For rum, my favorite is Rhum Barbancourt. Take that one for what it's worth.

Whiskies, I know a bit about.

For rye, I prefer Sazerac, Russel's Reserve, or Michter's, but Bulleit makes a nice one as well and really, the Jim Beam is not horrible - they make a better rye than they do a bourbon.

For Irish whiskey, I suggest Red Breast.

Too many bourbon favorites -

Wild Turkey Tribute, Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle (the 23 yo is too expensive for me, but the 20 yo is very nice), Elijah Craig (12 yo is a better bargain than the 18 yo), Booker's, Baker's, Blanton's, Basil Hayden's, A.H. Hirsch, Harrison (from Indiana), Ezra B., Wathen's, Rowan Creek...

All of these are top notch bourbons. Some are softer and sweeter (the wheated bourbons), others are hotter and spicier (the rye bourbons). You definitely will have to find which of the differing bourbon characters are more to your taste.

I keep trying to like Scotches, and I am partial to a Brookladdich, but I don't drink them like I do the above whiskies.

I would really listen to everything this man has to say about alcohol. :yesway::yesway:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Oban - perfect blend of smoke, peat and smoothness. Not too light like some of the speysides, not too much like alcoholic campfire like some of the Island malts. Love it, and well worth the $60-70/bottle.

Glenmorangie is a great everyday Scotch: inexpensive at about $30/bottle, but remarkably good for the price.

For a real treat, try some Bunnahabhain. The complexity is out of this world.

If you're feeling flush and want to try some really primo Scotch, The Irish Lion in Bloomington has Scotch flights: "The Flight of the Company Credit Card" is highly recommended. Johnny Walker Blue, Macallan 25.....I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it!

Buffalo Trace - great bourbon, on par with Makers Mark.(Some of the pro rating publications rate it even higher) And you can find it for a mere $18/bottle! One of the best values in bourbon I've found.

Red Breast - fantastic Irish, last one made in the traditional pure pot still method.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Im lazy.....not going to read all 6 pages of drink suggestions. Hands down Crown Royal is my all time favorite drink. I mix it with sprite and a lemon and call it a day. I started drinking that about 7 years ago and have never looked back. Further, i keep all of my hard liquor in the freezer. Crown straight out of the freezer is sooo good. :) Think i'll go make myself a drink!

Top Bottom