• ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are correct.

The Higgs field has been around probably as long as the universe. Higgs postulated the existence of same in 1964. Demonstration of its existence was in the last few years. So, when was it "invented"?

nano FeAl, as has been purported to be used by QANonsense crazies and their prior iterative forms...is available in what quantities today and at what cost?

Miguel Alcubierre has put the beginnings of a mathematical framework under the idea of a space distortion superluminal drive. So has warp drive already been invented, or not?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Miguel Alcubierre has put the beginnings of a mathematical framework under the idea of a space distortion superluminal drive. So has warp drive already been invented, or not?

Is that the one that involves dilithium crystals? I know there have been dilithium crystals involved with warp drive since at least 1966. ;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I don't know whether a patent has been filed on the drive. Superluminal travel in scifi literature has been around since Sklyark of Space in 1928. I could see Einstein and Rosen discussing possibilities in the 1930's. Perhaps Einstein thought about it when thinking through General Relativity.

But as with most engineering projects, ideas don't necessarily translate into production in a timely manner.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know whether a patent has been filed on the drive. Superluminal travel in scifi literature has been around since Sklyark of Space in 1928. I could see Einstein and Rosen discussing possibilities in the 1930's. Perhaps Einstein thought about it when thinking through General Relativity.

But as with most engineering projects, ideas don't necessarily translate into production in a timely manner.

I've been told that sooner or later there comes a time to shoot all the engineers and put the sucker into production :)

Edit: E.E.Smith dealt with the problem of mass dilation by just ignoring it in the Skylark series. The Bergenholm might have been a better way around the problem of accelerating beyond c

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've never been surprised by an engineer bringing a project in early and under originally estimated manfacturing cost.

I'm sure it has happened. Probably.

Maybe.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've been told that sooner or later there comes a time to shoot all the engineers and put the sucker into production :)

Edit: E.E.Smith dealt with the problem of mass dilation by just ignoring it in the Skylark series. The Bergenholm might have been a better way around the problem of accelerating beyond c

I remember reading Smith. But it was after I picked up my first book by Heinlein.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    On the plus side we haven't been hit with dirty bombs such as Heinlein wrote about in the 1930's.
    During my early stint as a librarian, became convinced of his working as a futurist under contract (pre-thinktank).

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The term "Systemic racism" serves a lot of the same conversational roles as the term "conspiracy theory".

You can throw these terms out in conversation and expect knowing nods of approval from polite society. If anyone challenges and asks you to define the terms, you can roll your eyes and throw off a pithy put down and win even more polite society approval points (orange man bad/tin foil hat).

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    How do you solve a problem like Maria?

Got to love INGO!

Start out with a retrospective on a socio-political, historical pivot point for our nation, journey through a mild discussion about space-time distortions, attempt to examine the inner psychological workings of deflective tactics during interpersonal conflicts and end up with a reference to The Sound of Music.

Cheers!
    :cheers:

Let me try to sum it up this way:
    :patriot::stickpoke::hijack::nuts::whistle::bash::nuts::whistle::lala::buddies:

May God bless you all!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I don't know. Do we have to embrace it to overcome it?
    We oh so get played by being made afraid. So do we have to do the Dune thing and pass through our fears?

The morning of the 911 event I was going to a shop east of Houston to check out some equipment for a refinery in Louisiana. When I got there and was working with the people, was observing their reactions as the day progressed. Nobody was thinking really; the emotional trauma was too intense. There had been people who warned of the event beforehand but hardly anyone paid them any attention. The public at large was completely taken by surprise and was rather easily taken down the road of our still ongoing war on terror, the very war that Werner Von Braun told about before succumbing to cancer. That emotional trauma is now what, a permanent part of our national identity, of our culture? If somebody doesn't buy the official narrative then the people on the street, your fellow countrymen, will attack you because they cannot abide by the threat being posed to their emotional security. So what can you do? Is there any point at this late date in even broaching the topic? People are voting now who literally have never known any other reality and do not have freedom as a part of their life experience.

How do you fix that?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Society, empires and nature all seem to operate in a cyclical fashion.

I would have liked to preface the previous statement with, "fortunately" but that doesn't bode too well for any of us now, does it?

Once this cyclical nature reaches an all-encompassing global scale things promise to get...interesting.

It will fix itself. There will be another season. Either that or you believe that the future of humanity is a boot stamping on a human face...forever.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Society, empires and nature all seem to operate in a cyclical fashion.

I would have liked to preface the previous statement with, "fortunately" but that doesn't bode too well for any of us now, does it?

Once this cyclical nature reaches an all-encompassing global scale things promise to get...interesting.

It will fix itself. There will be another season. Either that or you believe that the future of humanity is a boot stamping on a human face...forever.

iu

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've no doubts about mankind's destiny being absolutely immutable. But for that time remaining, between now and then, yeah it's going to get way too interesting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've no doubts about mankind's destiny being absolutely immutable. But for that time remaining, between now and then, yeah it's going to get way too interesting.

"Interesting" as in the old Chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times." (Although it appears not to have been of Chinese origin)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Got to love INGO!

Start out with a retrospective on a socio-political, historical pivot point for our nation, journey through a mild discussion about space-time distortions, attempt to examine the inner psychological workings of deflective tactics during interpersonal conflicts and end up with a reference to The Sound of Music.

Cheers!
    :cheers:

Let me try to sum it up this way:
    :patriot::stickpoke::hijack::nuts::whistle::bash::nuts::whistle::lala::buddies:

May God bless you all!

I always think of it as a form of precession. Outside forces (in the form of opinions and predilections of the posters) acting subtly on the primary spin axis of a thread. All of those forces individually may be small but the net effect is visible

Especially in the picture threads, peeps have trouble with the fact that discussions on INGO are going to happen where they happen, there are no rails

Top Bottom